Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2008, 14:33   #16

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Paul View Post
I like my Atomic Four Gasoline engine more now that you guys scared me out of repowering with a Diesel.
Ya....right.....don't even get us started on the dangers of a gas engine in a sailboat.
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 14:45   #17

Boat: Sceptre 41
Another one I run into every once in awhile with a yanmar is that I have people turn off the key (which turns off the electirical) and then press the big red button and nothing happens. As someone said above the big red button is connected to a solenoid well with the key shut off there is no electricity thus a solenoid doens't work. The first time I raced down to the engine and shut it off manually. The second time I said to turn the key on and then press the button. The Admiral looked at me funny. So I had to explain to her that the button reqd 'lectricity to shut the engine down.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 14:55   #18

I have a cable that runs back to the cockpit connected to the injector stop lever. This is as well as the solonoid stop. Not all engines can do this because the soloniod "competes" with manual operation.
cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 15:09   #19

Boat: C&C Landfall 39 center cockpit "Anahita"
Yanmar panel

I have the same problem that Charlie had. Because I have a floating "fob" attached to my key it is easy to brush up against the fob inadvertently cutting off power to the panel along with power to the alternator. You think that the battery is charging whilst it is discharging as a result.

I wish that there were a toggle switch or other means of preventing cutting off power to the engine electrics.
Old 06-02-2008, 15:15   #20

HARD rubber ball

Get a hard rubber ball that will jam the air intake. Keep it tied close to your diesel's intake.. IF your diesel ever goes into runaway mode stuff that ball into the intake. Anything too soft will most likely be sucked right on in...

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 15:16   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
I have the same problem that Charlie had. Because I have a floating "fob" attached to my key it is easy to brush up against the fob inadvertently cutting off power to the panel along with power to the alternator. You think that the battery is charging whilst it is discharging as a result.

I wish that there were a toggle switch or other means of preventing cutting off power to the engine electrics.
You want to be very careful not to turn the power off with the engine running. You can (and most likely will) burn the diodes out in the alternator if you do that.
Old 06-02-2008, 15:19   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper View Post
I have a cable that runs back to the cockpit connected to the injector stop lever. This is as well as the solonoid stop. Not all engines can do this because the soloniod "competes" with manual operation.
The reason that most manufacturers avoid the manual stop cable is because they often get corroded and rendered inoperable, especially on vessels that sit in marinas for months at a time. believe it or not, the electric solenoid is much more reliable. You just have to clean the connections once in awhile.
Old 06-02-2008, 15:33   #23

Boat: C&C Landfall 39 center cockpit "Anahita"
alternator turn-off

With the Yanmar turning off the key disables the regulator. Any transient caused by a collapsing field does not result in a collapsing stator current as fast as would occur if one open-circuits the alternator output to the load.

Yanmar stock alternators and regulators will absorb such transients internally without damage.

Regardless, I also install Zap-Stops across the outputs of both of my alternators which are designed to absorb tremendous transient energy in the case of what is called "load-dump". Something everyone with a high-output externally regulated alternators should use.
Old 06-02-2008, 16:22   #24

Boat: Jarcat 5, 5m, Mandy
A mate of mine damaged his engine when someone overfilled the sump creating lots of fumes to suck in. He didn't know how to stop it and it revved out to the max till the sump ran dry enough
Robert
Robertcateran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 17:17   #25
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanani View Post
You want to be very careful not to turn the power off with the engine running. You can (and most likely will) burn the diodes out in the alternator if you do that.

He he... welcome, Kanani.

Have you ever done a search for Rick's posts on this board?

I'm kind of laughing my *ss off at this post... even though you didn't know him from Adam.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 17:47   #26

4JH2 still has the ability to use a cable shut off. On the rear outboard side of the injection pump there will be a short arm not attached to a cable. This can be actuated to cut fuel.

For a runaway bag the air filter assy with a trash bag or big zip lock. Don't bother trying to get the filter assy off.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 19:52   #27

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by never monday View Post
4JH2 still has the ability to use a cable shut off. On the rear outboard side of the injection pump there will be a short arm not attached to a cable. This can be actuated to cut fuel.

For a runaway bag the air filter assy with a trash bag or big zip lock. Don't bother trying to get the filter assy off.
And that would not get sucked into the engine and create more problems?

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 20:01   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Baier View Post
And that would not get sucked into the engine and create more problems?
How would a plastic bag get sucked through the membrane of an air filter?
gobi1570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 20:06   #29

Starving the engine is not all that hard on it, and surly not compared to running it aground. . .
Numerous fuel shut offs . Remote fuel filter , water separator among others which do depend on the engine in question. I could no doubt show you an easy cure if I could look at the engine ... In an Emergency why do you see a need to shut down versus go for neutral? Some times you might but not all the time. Its not a gas engine so many of those fire problems don't exist.
and the trash bag over the air intake is very do-able as well. It cannot BTW get sucked in unless someone has jury rigged the intake filter and that would be stupid! Yes your basically flooding it out but that's possibly better than what you might have with a runaway.
Divecoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 20:24   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
The Coast Guard for commercial boats requires a remote fuel shut down. Its nothing more than a pull cable which connects to the handle on a ball valve on the fuel line at the fuel tank. It would not be a bad idea for a yacht as a good way to stop the source of fuel in case of a fire or a runaway diesel.

The alternative for me would be to pull the release for the C02 system which would flood the engine space displacing any oxygen.

You could also shoot a non-powder fire extinguisher into the air intake.

BTW, you can't get Halon anymore. Somebody decided it wrecks the atmosphere.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote