Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2007, 13:01   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Tom, instead of getting into thread drift why not do a search here on this forum and on the SSCA forum for AGM's. Saying that however, I think you are wrong on the assumption that you will charge the AGM's that much faster and even 80 amps is at the low end of the line. I would suggest that the stock alternator could be used as a spare with a high output 100 or 120 amp used in service with smart 3 stage regulator.

Cheers.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 14:55   #17

Tom,
No smaller than a Racor 500 series please.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 15:03   #18

Boat: Creekmore 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by never monday
Tom,
No smaller than a Racor 500 series please.
Just bought a new Racor 230 last week...
Tom967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 15:48   #19

200 series have been know to leak air at the 2 fittings in the head. On top of that they are a pain to change. Spare filters for the 230 will corrode in your spares store. the 500 spares are paper and plastic, impervious to corrosion.
Old 12-03-2007, 15:58   #20

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
If you are getting ready to do a circumnavigation, you would be well advised to get a new engine. You are going to be in a lot of tough anchorages in out of the way places, and if you lose your engine at the wrong moment, you can lose your boat.

I did an eleven year circumnavigation on my catamaran and put 4000 hours on each of my 28 hp yanmar diesels. In 8000 hours and 12 years of combined running, I have not had to turn a bolt on either of the engines or transmissions. The only things I have replaced on the engines are alternators and rubber water pump impellers in the salt water pump. Both my yanmars are fresh water cooled.

I have watched fellow sailors suffer with old engines in out of the way places. People who had engine and gear box problems in the Red Sea nearly got an ulcer from all their problems, and it made it extremely hard to enjoy the trip when they didn't have a reliable engine.

A new engine is an awesome insurance policy that helps guarantee an enjoyable circumnavigation. Fighting with a worn out engine can really steal your joy and empty your pocket book at the most inconvenient of moments.

Cheers,

Dave
Exit Only

Maxingout.com
PositiveGraphics.com
PositiveThinkingRadio.com
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 16:41   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout
If you are getting ready to do a circumnavigation, you would be well advised to get a new engine. You are going to be in a lot of tough anchorages in out of the way places, and if you lose your engine at the wrong moment, you can lose your boat.

I did an eleven year circumnavigation on my catamaran and put 4000 hours on each of my 28 hp yanmar diesels. In 8000 hours and 12 years of combined running, I have not had to turn a bolt on either of the engines or transmissions. The only things I have replaced on the engines are alternators and rubber water pump impellers in the salt water pump. Both my yanmars are fresh water cooled.

I have watched fellow sailors suffer with old engines in out of the way places. People who had engine and gear box problems in the Red Sea nearly got an ulcer from all their problems, and it made it extremely hard to enjoy the trip when they didn't have a reliable engine.

A new engine is an awesome insurance policy that helps guarantee an enjoyable circumnavigation. Fighting with a worn out engine can really steal your joy and empty your pocket book at the most inconvenient of moments.

Cheers,

Dave
Exit Only

Maxingout.com
PositiveGraphics.com
PositiveThinkingRadio.com

"I'm making out the check in the morning."..LOL
Old 12-03-2007, 17:58   #22

Boat: Nordship 40ds
Tom

I am in the midst of a repower as we speak. I replaced with the same tyoe of engine Yanmar. 4JHE for a 4JH4E Never Monday sold me the engine at a very competitive price. I didn't have to pay tax and even with shipping it was cheaper than I could find it locally. Very good service. That said the install is quite expensive. $3000 cdn. I did it for peace of mind. I was able to sell the engine for $2000 cdn so I am getting a nice 55HP engine installed for around $10500 US (includes the money made from sale of engine).

I have no tie to Never Monday except as a customer.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 18:34   #23

Charlie,
I appreciate the compliment. With your engine going out of the country it was a little different. Tom is in the back yard of a gentleman I've meet. I'd hate for someone to do that to me. I think Mark will take care of him.
Old 12-03-2007, 19:12   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Amanda Faye 61' Custom Irwin aftcockpit ketch
I bought a generator from Pat never monday and I was quite happy with the deal. I also have no ties to Pat.
Old 12-03-2007, 20:36   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Quote:
The acceptance rate of charge on AGM's is 4 times faster than wet cells...twice Gel batteries.."
No Tom, you have this kinda wrong and sligthtly backward. Without going into it too much here, it has or is being discussed in the Electrical section, so thake a look in on that. Rick has written some very good info that would be of good benifit.
But in a nut shell, an AGM will Handle a higher charge current than a wetcell. This is why they can charge faster, you can put more current in. But you have to have the current in the first place. AGM and Gel are about the same as each other. And the rule of thumb, although Rick explains it in more accurate detail, is that a Wet cell can be charged with 25% of it's Ah rating and a Gel/AGM can handle 33% of it's Ah rating. So if you had a 400Ah bank, then a 120A alternator would be OK. I don't think you can get 130A and a 150A would be a little excessive.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2007, 03:29   #26

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
I wil chime in here...I have an Ingrid 38 (25,000 lbs) which came with a Volvo MD2B. It was rated at 23 hp. So when I first saw the beast, I just sighed and knew that because I got such a great deal on the boat, I could afford an engine replacement allowance, providing I got a "like new, used" engine.
E-bay seemed to be a good source. I kept patient and checked every few days for one. I was hoping for a Perkins or a Yanmar. While waiting, I did inquire to one of the Beta engines. Everyone I talk to seemed quite happy with them. One day while doing an e-bay search, I mistakenly typed "Deisel" rather than "Diesel". I knew something was odd when I only got one hit...a 4JH Yanmar with 700 hours on it with a starting bid of $3500 US. It was at a Marine yard back east and the previous owner was having the yard remove mast, sails, winches and the engine for all new items. Apparenty the guy had bucks. I was nervous to the last 5 seconds before the bidding time ended. I GOT IT! No one else ever found it like I had. The seller told me that he was puzzeled that no one else had bid on it. Although the price was right, I still had to cut out my cockpit to remove the Volvo and put in the Yanmar. It was an extremely tight fit and required me making custon feet for the engine mounts to make it fit. Thank God I am a retired Tool Maker. Have to say...that 40 hp sure pushes her along quite well and as previously mentioned...it is a very smooth engine and quiet. I have had a Volvo before this boat, a Volvo 2003. It was a real piece of junk. It broke so often that it was like making payments to a bank on a new engine. I also had a Westerbeke 4-107 (Westerbeke marinized Perkins). Other than the usual oil leaks the thing ran pretty well. Hope all this helps.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2007, 06:00   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by never monday
Charlie,
I appreciate the compliment. With your engine going out of the country it was a little different. Tom is in the back yard of a gentleman I've meet. I'd hate for someone to do that to me. I think Mark will take care of him.

"I really appreciate your remarks...You are exactly right"
Old 29-08-2007, 12:09   #28

Boat: Creekmore 34 - Bald Eagle
feedback on your repower

Tom,
We have a 34' Creekmore with a Volvo MD3B engine and are looking to repower. We were considering the Yanmar 3YM30 (a smaller version of the engine that you chose to repower your boat with). I was wondering if you had any advice for us or any useful feedback on your engine repower. Anything we need to be aware of since we have the same engine (and almost the same boat) that you did. We are in Miami.
Thanks
Sue and Graham
Schweinsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2007, 15:49   #29

Boat: Condor 37
I also have a Volvo, MD17C, fresh water cooled. In over 20 years other than change oil, impellors in the raw water, and service the injectors twice we have done nothing to it. It is a little hard starting now and I also am looking at an upgrade. The new Volvos are made by Perkins (the last bunch by Renault and I understand they were junk). We have a saildrive and info I can get off the net points out that the Yanmar SB40 were not reliable, as a result I think it will be Volvo again. Plus it is over 10% cheaper. We sailed the boat back from England, spending 2 yrs in the Med and never had the slighest problem getting whatever spares we needed (not that many were needed).
LWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2010, 16:47   #30

Just to said that the MD3B (MD17C) is one of the best marine engine ever made... absolutely reliable and a low cost running. But if rust is in it... hum... I think it is not good anymore. if no rust in it, you should rebuilt this engine. ( And if your volvo get hard to start, just rebuilt the injectors and it will be back!)
leprof31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine