Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2010, 19:17   #1

Boat: 38' Chieftain Centre Cockpit
Ideas for Engine Clean-Up and Paint

The old Yanmar looks a bit tired, runs like a dream, starts first pop, does not give me any trouble, but everyone laughs when they see it, before we head off in 3 yrs we are going to replace with new, but for now just want to clean it up so she looks as well as she goes. I have good access all round, can get a sheet underneath, thought of paint stripper, keeping away from anything that might be affected by the stripper, wire brush, rust killer, primer & paint. Anyone got any tricks up there sleeve or suggestions,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5597 Manihiki 263.jpg
Views:	1143
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	15361  
ozmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2010, 19:19   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
wire brush , ospho, rattle can
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2010, 06:55   #3

Boat: CS 36t
To me, the toughest part of painting an engine is degreasing it so that the paint will actually stick. There is not particular trick to this other than patience and making sure to get every little nook and cranny. Everything else is just paint prep. You will find that different methods work best for different parts of the engine depending on access and the condition of the old paint. You should have on hand an angle grinder with a wire cup, a drill with a wire brush, conventional sandpaper, a hand wire brush, a few paint scrapers and a few picks. You will spend most of the time trying to prep the corners and other tough places so if you have a few very small tools, that helps. If you want to do a good job, then removing everything that you can and doing them somewhere else is the way to go but that is also opening another can of worms. I have never painted an engine in place, we have always pulled the engine for other work and painted it. It sort of depends on how good of a job you want to do considering it only has to last 3 years.

You could always do the redneck paint job and do an oil change and paint the old oil onto the engine. It won't rust again.
klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2010, 06:57   #4

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by klem View Post

You could always do the redneck paint job and do an oil change and paint the old oil onto the engine. It won't rust again.
I've seen this more than once on supply boats............but the smell!!!!
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2010, 07:50   #5

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
You could try applying some of the oil-eating bacteria to the entire engine and engine compartment. Reduces the smell quite a bit too.....
and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Fishman_Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2010, 08:36   #6

Boat: CS 36t
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
I've seen this more than once on supply boats............but the smell!!!!
The only trouble with doing it in the marine environment is that you can't then go drive down a really dusty road. Maybe you could throw dust at the engine.
klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2010, 11:52   #7

try simple green and or citris cleaner and a long handled bristle brush put cleaner in spray bottle and coat engine scrub where you have to let sit for a while then if it were me i'd use a power washer that heats the water. you have to collect water in bilge. we use this method where i work to clean truck engines. you can prime and paint after engine dries.
mike d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2010, 14:13   #8

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps
Removing rust and painting motor will be good for motor beyond the cosmetics. Remove as many hoses as you can(or mask)and remove belts, and mask off name plates on motor, starter and alt.
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2010, 14:49   #9

Boat: 1980 CheoyLee35
I used the degreasers and paint made by Por-15 and was happy with the result( sorry- no photos). I agree that the hardest part is cleaning. Can you fit a pressure washer in there?
Shoalcove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2010, 15:08   #10

For auto engines I use Gunk brand degreasing foam or liquid spray. You warm up the engine, turn it off, and spray it on everywhere you can reach - wear a breathing mask. Then wait 15 minutes, during which some very nasty fumes are given off, and then spray the engine clean with a garden hose. It works very well, but I'm not sure how practical it is for a marine engine compartment. Gunk makes a wide array of degreasing products:

Degreasers and Cleaners

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2010, 18:30   #11
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
I have used Advance Auto Brake Cleaner for years.......The Store Brands work just as well as Brakleen. Have PLENTY OF VENTILATION repeat HAVE PLENTY OF VENTILATION....a Box Fan behind you will make the job bearable.

After you get the oily stuff off take off the starter, alternator and anything else removable and wire brush the engine......take your time.
Clean Bolts and reassemble with never-seize.

YanMar paint is not too expensive 1.5 cans will do the job on most small Yanmars.

Avoid using anything with acid in it or "Purple Stuff as it WILL damage any aluminum on the engine.
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2010, 04:56   #12

Boat: 38' Chieftain Centre Cockpit
Thanks everyone for advise, quite a few different aproaches, might give the pressure washer a miss, all the surrounding furniture etc, even covering everything, would still take me forever to clean up, will do as suggested small wire brush, scrapers etc, remove parts and good prep, and should come up good, will post results. today fitted my new helm station as posted before "new plywood helm" forgot camera, it looks "awesome" will update after photos, thanks again
ozmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2010, 06:27   #13
cruiser

A couple of thoughts about cleaning and painting engines:

- Be safe. Engine compartments are small, confined spaces. The materials you'll use - degreasers, paint, etc - have quite toxic fumes. If you're doing it and are smelling too much of the material and thinking to yourself, "I wonder if this is bad for me," it is. Stop and ventilate properly.

- All of the grease and oil has to be removed from the surface before you can add any paint.

- Steel brushing, sanding, and vacuuming are a must. It's hard to reach a lot of areas on an engine. Just take your time and you'll figure out ways to hit all of the bad spots. And hit all of them.

- Use Corroseal on rust areas. I used to use Ospho but found that it worked for a maximum of 1 year. Corroseal performs the same rust treatment and then coats the surface for longer lasting protection. It's just as easy to use and costs about the same. It's a no-brainer.

- Use can spray paint. I used to use AwlGrip on my engines. Then my mechanic was doing a 2 year service of things I don't/can't do and he wanted to touch up his work with a can of spray paint. I told him that I'd do it myself with AwlGrip - he asked me if I was crazy and suggested trying his one spot with the spray. I've never gone back - the spray is as good, lasts as long, but is way less expensive and much simpler to apply. Use a primer too if you're down to metal.

- Touch things up once a year - that's really enough to stay on top of it. Going longer makes the job a much bigger one.

My engines are white. I love them because of that. The slightest drip, mark, or fluid leaves a huge mark.

Here's a video walk-through I did of my engine room:
ActiveCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2012, 09:09   #14

Boat: Beneteau 321
Re: Ideas for Engine Clean-Up and Paint

Our surveyor told us to clean engine with old school Tide powder and water and hose into the bilge.He said the enzymes eat the grease.Anyone know what to re grease with?Aft. berth is behind engine and was thinking of mixing essential oil with whatever oil we use to prevent rust.Am a health nut so won't use anything toxic.Will also sponge tide mixture out of bilge into bucket although he said it won't pollute if pumped overboard.
flowermom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2012, 09:16   #15

Re: Ideas for Engine Clean-Up and Paint

from the looks of that photo it looks like rust is your biggest issue.... doesnt appear really black/greasy...? For rust, you're going to need something a little acidic. Phospho was mentioned, can you catch it underneath? or maybe fill the bilge with hose water to dilute it as it comes off. put the acid on and spray it off...? If you do need to degrease or simply clean the engine TSP works wonderful. It's like Tide squared! They now sell it in a spray can which would be great for your application. After using the acid, rinse it off very well. As soon as it's dry put primer on it....
If you are reluctant to use acid, there is a product for rust and lime stains in the bathroom called.... I think... CSR... sold inthe grocery store... you could try that.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine