Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2024, 02:27   #1

Boat: Island Packet 40
Impellar Removal

The last time I changed the impeller in the water pump">raw water pump on the boat's Yanmar engine I spent about four hours, and expended a great deal of blasphemy and profanity as well as knuckle skin, on getting the old one out of the housing. Consequently "the horror" of re-experiencing the physical and mental trauma has resulted in my having dodged the chore for about two years or so.

I'm about to depart on my annual fleeing cold weather winter cruise towards the equator and decided I must overcome my impeller phobia and began pondering on cunning schemes to avoid a recurrence of the previous struggle. Inspiration struck and I realised I could free up the brass sleeve on the drive shaft by beating on it with a largish hammer (former oil driller recalled that the successful solution to any problem usually involves beating things with a hammer)

The first images shows the sleeve I made by cutting a short piece from the stainless steel tube which came with the IP40 as a flag staff. The second the sleeve fitted into the impeller and the hammer used to beat it.

What occurred was that the sleeve was broken loose from the shaft and the rubber end of the impeller then sprung the sleeve to it's original position. Further blows repeated the movements until the sleeve was loose and the impeller readily removed from the housing by prying with a screw driver.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG20240505084922.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	338.8 KB
ID:	289589   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG20240505085219.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	398.2 KB
ID:	289590  

Old 06-05-2024, 02:33   #2

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc
Re: Impellar Removal

Nice work!
To install the new impellor I wrap a cable tie around and tighten. Blades then pulled in to insert.
Old 06-05-2024, 04:00   #3

IP40?
Miyalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 11:07   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyalk View Post
IP40?
Island Packet 40.
Old 06-05-2024, 11:34   #5

@OP. Why don't you buy an impeller puller? They're around $50.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post
To install the new impellor I wrap a cable tie around and tighten. Blades then pulled in to insert.
That is how I do mine. I use two wire ties. compress and hold the fins. Slide in the first tie, then cut it. Slide in to the second tie. since the impeller is lubed, I can usually slide the second tie right off. Then push the impeller in the rest of the way.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 12:00   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

The Yanmar impeller extractor is an absolutely brilliant tool and costs peanuts for what it does. It requires you to buy only the original Yanmar impellers with the threads in the end but it is worth it 100x over.

I have used the cable tie trick to insert them, which works pretty well, but with time I have learned to do it with my fingers. You just have to get a few fins in and then twist, and you can get it in. Note you can twist either way -- the fins orientation doesn't matter. They flip around the right way when you crank the engine.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 19:15   #7

Yanmar parts are exceptionally expensive in Australia, generally three to four times what a generic or Johnston costs:

Yanmar Impeller 119593-42202 Suits 6LY & 8LV ...

Impeller: Yanmar 119593-42202. Overall Diameter: 65mm. Depth (Blade Length):, 68.3mm. Shaft Diameter: 16mm. Number of Blades: 8. Material: Neoprene - MC97.
$325.00

I just coat the impeller with skin moisturiser after becoming frustrated with not being able to find the lanolin stuff from wherever I put it away the last time I changed the impeller.
Old 06-05-2024, 21:49   #8

Boat: Nordic 44

A standard impeller puller should work with any impeller.

Use teflon grease to help the blades slide in. It does not matter which way the blades are facing - they will align themselves on the first turn of the pump.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2024, 01:40   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Yanmar parts are exceptionally expensive in Australia, generally three to four times what a generic or Johnston costs:

Yanmar Impeller 119593-42202 Suits 6LY & 8LV ...

Impeller: Yanmar 119593-42202. Overall Diameter: 65mm. Depth (Blade Length):, 68.3mm. Shaft Diameter: 16mm. Number of Blades: 8. Material: Neoprene - MC97.
$325.00

I just coat the impeller with skin moisturiser after becoming frustrated with not being able to find the lanolin stuff from wherever I put it away the last time I changed the impeller.

Silicon grease is your friend here

What's with the prices in Oz? Crazy. They are $139 here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/354830600465

But impellers below the waterline which don't have to prime themselves from dry last almost forever. IIRC Yanmar recommends changing once in 1000 hours. I do it slightly more often than that but I still get two or three years out of each one (and they are always flawless when I take them out). In the grand scheme it's not a big expense.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
removal