Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2023, 11:58   #1

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5
Impeller Life

My Kubota 25 HP has a Jabsco 29460-1631 water pump">raw water pump. I changed the first impeller at 1050 hours. A few blades were cracked but little wear on the blade tips. It still worked well. I just changed the impeller for the second time. It had 1080 hours on it. One blade was cracked and little wear on the tips. It was still working well. The pump was leaking from the weep holes so I replaced the seals in the pump. Impellers are Jabsco brand.
kmacdonald is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 13:36   #2

Boat: Morgan 382
Re: Impeller Life

How much time had elapsed between changes? They will fail with fewer hours and longer time between changes as well. I change mine annually, which would be much fewer than 1000 hours. Never any cracks. If there is a crack, it is about to fail and you changed it just in time.
Old 10-07-2023, 13:41   #3

Boat: Columbia 36

Many people, myself included, change them annually regardless. The $40 tag is peanuts compared to a bad overheat. I'm on the Great Lakes where we're laid up 6 months of the year, it's on my winterizing/dewinterizing checklist.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 13:42   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
How much time had elapsed between changes? They will fail with fewer hours and longer time between changes as well. I change mine annually, which would be much fewer than 1000 hours. Never any cracks. If there is a crack, it is about to fail and you changed it just in time.
Bingo. If they're cracked, you waited too long.
Old 10-07-2023, 14:36   #5
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
My Kubota 25 HP has a Jabsco 29460-1631 raw water pump. I changed the first impeller at 1050 hours. A few blades were cracked but little wear on the blade tips. It still worked well. I just changed the impeller for the second time. It had 1080 hours on it. One blade was cracked and little wear on the tips. It was still working well. The pump was leaking from the weep holes so I replaced the seals in the pump. Impellers are Jabsco brand.

Were they winterized? With what?

Jabsco impellers are neoprene and are stiffened by polypropylene glycol AF (EG is OK). One winterization is enough to ruin them.
Old 10-07-2023, 15:02   #6

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Among the least expensive things to change annually.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 15:56   #7

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jgw View Post
Bingo. If they're cracked, you waited too long.
Why is that?

When blades have come off... that's when you have waited too long, and IME it is a long time between when cracks first appear and the blades start to shed. Like the OP, I replace mine at around a thousand hours.

Jim
Old 10-07-2023, 16:52   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I have had WIDE variability in how long the impellers last. Some seem to go forever, others loose blades shortly. Dunno.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 19:02   #9

Boat: Cape Dory 31

I change mine every three years, cheap insurance. Never found a cracked or missing blade which means my timing is perfect.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 19:25   #10

There are a lot of variables that affect impeller life, the size of the cam can significantly reduce the life as can high restriction either to output flow or suction flow. Generators are often hard on impellers, particularly the 2 pole units that hit 3000- 3500 rpm as soon as you press the starter, they don’t give you much time to check the overboard flow before shedding the blades. I find it easier to either point the infrared temp gun at the cover plate or just rest the back of my fingers on the cover, if it gets warm and then warmer.... there’s a flow problem that needs fixing.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 21:50   #11

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Were they winterized? With what?

Jabsco impellers are neoprene and are stiffened by polypropylene glycol AF (EG is OK). One winterization is enough to ruin them.
They were never winterized. They were less than 2 years old.
kmacdonald is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 22:09   #12

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

A new impeller for our Yanmar costs about $25. We change annually even though there is no evidence of wear. This is simply preventive maintenance. The cost of a catastrophic failure (say while trying to negotiate a narrow channel into a harbor in heavy winds) is a nightmare.

The cost of owning and maintaining a sailboat is high - this is one of the low expenditure items

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 07:14   #13

Boat: Hinckley Bermuda 40

An impeller on a laid-up boat is aging even though the engine is not running. Because the impeller is not turning, some of the impeller vanes tend to “ take a set”, meaning those resting on the cam conform to the bent shape they assume in that position. Microscopic cracks will tend to form where the base of the vanes meet the impeller hub. This is where just about all impellers fail. In quite a few years of sailing I have never noticed wear on the impeller tips, though if the pump is pumping silty raw water no doubt it could happen. I recommend carrying not just spare impellers, but a complete pump assembly as well. I have had impellers last for years, others just a season or two.
On our boat’s engine, it’s just about impossible to change the impeller without first removing the pump anyway, so I just would rather not worry about dropping any small parts into the bilge while in some isolated place. Spare pumps are usually reasonably priced on ebay, and unless the body and shaft are totally shot, rebuild kits are available too. And don't forget the fittings.
Old 11-07-2023, 07:27   #14

Right. I take mine out in the fall. I don't always replace them, if they look perfect I might keep them. But I don't put them back in till spring. They don't take a set that way. If I do replace, it's not till spring and I keep the old ones as spares. I do leave a note at the ignition switch reminding me about "impellers out, drain plugs out" etc.
Old 11-07-2023, 07:46   #15

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Even with winterizing, etc. I change mine every other year. At change time, the engine impellers are typically getting a bit stiff (I change before launch in the spring, so this is after a second winter sitting in antifreeze). Typically no noticeable wear, no cracked blades, etc. With the stiffening over the winters, the typical failure mode if run too long would be a failure to prime if it gets an air bubble during winterizing or on spring startup. As they stiffen, they lose their ability to self prime before their ability to pump water adequately is compromised.

On a long trip without winter storage, I'd probably change them somewhere around 300 - 500 hours. I don't think I'd be comfortable going past 500 hours, too much risk of needing to do an unplanned change (which is a pain on my engines and would be very challenging without waiting for the engines to cool first).
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote