Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2008, 06:06   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by luepetri View Post
The housing itself is not a ford part it was made by Osco. It is cast right into the housing. I do know that they use these engines in skidders. We do have a manual which is on the boat we will look and let you know further. In the manual where the housing is to sit there is a plate in its' place, it is not part of the Ford manual.
Further reinforcing it was maranized by another company that was responsible for the marine parts.
Osco is still in business, heres the web site
Osco Motors Corp: Home Page
contact them and see what they can do.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 09:32   #17

Boat: Morgan OI,41ft.seadancer
That is an Oberdorfer water pump">raw water pump. I have a 192d in my 41ft Morgan O/I. I had rebuilt by Depco Pump in Clearwater Fl. 800-446-1656. Don't order a new one, the cofiguration is wrong. I'll try to find more info for you later.
fcsob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:43   #18

That is the pump drive that is broken. There is a set bolt to remove & the gear has to be pressed off to remove the drive. There might be a clip on the end of the shaft. The pump doesn't come with the drive. I don't think you will find the drive,your 192d is only the 3rd I have seen in a boat. Try to repair yours.
Old 18-10-2008, 21:55   #19
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Who marinized the engine?

Does it say anwhere in the manual?
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2008, 23:25   #20

Location: aboard our boat and summer in beautiful Kye Bay Comox BC Canada
Boat: 78 Cooper Ketch 40 feet
Send a message via Skype™ to luepetri
Sorry I didnt get back to you

will ask Claes and get a reply asap.
luepetri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2008, 09:12   #21

the boat is a 1976-78 vintage

we purchased it three and half years ago.
We are assuming that this is the original motor.
As we are getting ready to live aboard we are wanting the engine in good repair. We would really like to have a spare motor as well.
Old 19-10-2008, 09:15   #22

I have the the owners & the service manuals. know where does it say who marinized the engine. I know there is a name on the intake manifold but I'm not at my boat yet. Brian at American Diesel was very helpful & had a parts brake down.
Old 19-10-2008, 20:14   #23

Service Manual

We have a service manual but it does not show that part. Does yours?

If so we would appreciate the part number.

Did Brian at American Diesel have a number?

By the way thanks for all this research and help.
Old 20-10-2008, 08:55   #24

What caused the breakage? It also looks like your pump is leaking. American diesel's number is 804.435.3107. That part is part of the marinization & is not in the service manual. Call Depco pump they might know someone that can repair the cast piece. Some cast can be welder but not sure about filled. Maybe pinned & filled with some of high tech
stuff. My brother fixes molds with a type of industrial filler. You can not buy this product is a store.
Old 12-11-2008, 23:53   #25

Location: Tabor IA until I decide for sure to do the liveaboard thing
Boat: Pacesetter Sedan Bridge 30 feet long
If this is just a raw water pump, why not get one that is driven by an accessory belt and use that? If the pump etc is impossible to find, I'd personally eliminate the possibility of having one break in the first place. I'm sure you could use a cog belt like a timing belt and run a water pump designed for racing use. Since it looks like it either uses cast iron or some other metal for connectors, it should be simple to seal off that housing after removing the gear. I've used JB Weld to good effect on cracked parts, as long as their isn't any weight on them anyway.

But a belt driven, or even an electric raw water pump might be worth the investment if this one is so hard to find that you'd be stranded for weeks waiting for a part like that. I had a ford Vee Four forklift motor in my Saab Sonnet that was a ford forklift/industrial motor (Gas though). Tiny little thing, but it put out 50hp with a one barrel carburator. A friend took one of those motors and installed in HIS sailboat to good effect, and if you have a gas motor in a forklift or skid steer that is a ford vee style motor, that's it. Also, ford STILL makes that motor! you can get them brand new in the crate VERY cheap. However, you'd have to get your own marine manifolds made up unless ford made some. But the motors can be had new in the crate, last time I looked, for around a grand, because Ford made millions of those motors and shipped them worldwide.

Just an idea or two. But if that motor you have is so rare that you can't even find it in a major boat salvage yard, what will you do if it grenades while You're underway or in a foreign port? Admittedly a raw water pump is a very important piece, but it can be bypassed if you're creative enough. However, if something ELSE breaks, can you bypass anything else?

The cheapest way I've seen to replace a sailboat motor is to find a yanmar diesel motor that is used in a semi tractor trailer reefer trailer (the refrigerated trailers). Those reefer engines are diesel, usually get great mainteance because nobody wants to have a semi load of rotten meat on their hands. Plus most yanmar engines that I've seen can be readily adapted to marine use, since they usually have the same engine blocks, just the mounts are way different. I bought a perfect runner, around 2000 hours, for a hundred bucks off ebay last year. Used it to repower my riding lawn mower. Oddly enough, it was turbocharged too. (long trailer)

Also consider the older diesel motors that were used in refrigerated railroad cars. The old 4v71 motors were used in those, IIRC... Those can be had for a song from the rail yards as they are usually destroying the old reefer cars and building new ones. The older diesel motors aren't as clean, high tech, or efficient as a brand new diesel, but you can find them all over the globe. If it was me, I'd personally find a more common motor and sell that one while it still runs good to someone who has one already and is willing to pay a good price for a complete runner. Its relative rarity might completely finance a swap to a more common engine!

dave
Beemer is offline   Reply With Quote