Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2021, 14:48   #1

Boat: Mahe 36
Injector and injection VP engines

Can someone help with some VP D1-30 engine fuel injector questions...

-There is what looks like an Allen screw hole on the side of the injector holder (7). There is no screw in it and it appears to go nowhere. All three injectors are the same. What is it?
-What is the purpose of the washer (8)? I know what it does, it seals between the fuel return manifold and the injector holder but what is the purpose of fuel there? Cooling the injector?
-Can I reuse washer (7) if intact?
-Is the injector nozzle (2) supposed to be flat across the tip where the needle protrudes? All three of mine have what appears to be a 2-3mm diameter crater around the needle.

I shall do a “pop” test to determine leaking and function.

I did a compression test through the glo plug hole. The manual say 2450psi @ 250rpm. I have all three cylinders @ nearly 3000psi after 4 revolutions and nearly 5000psi after 10. No significant variation between the three. Engine warm @ 150*f, battery charged.
-Any concerns with these readings?
Attached Thumbnails
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B0075D92-8B06-4172-815B-405CC314CF83.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	406.2 KB
ID:	231678  
Rufduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 05:44   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft
Re: Injector and injection VP engines

If you get no reply PM DougR, he knows Volvos.
If washer 8 is copper you can anneal it on the gas stove & re-use I think.

I did that on my injection pump & injector on a yanmar but there is a limit to how many times you can do that as they get thinner & wider.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 09:39   #3

Boat: Mahe 36

Thank you, had forgotten that trick. Have refaced them with solder and lapped them true with 600 and a glass window. Not forgetting to redrill the holes.
Cheers
Rufduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 12:24   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufduck View Post
Can someone help with some VP D1-30 engine fuel injector questions...

-There is what looks like an Allen screw hole on the side of the injector holder (7). There is no screw in it and it appears to go nowhere. All three injectors are the same. What is it?

-What is the purpose of the washer (8)? I know what it does, it seals between the fuel return manifold and the injector holder but what is the purpose of fuel there? Cooling the injector?

-Can I reuse washer (7) if intact?

-Is the injector nozzle (2) supposed to be flat across the tip where the needle protrudes? All three of mine have what appears to be a 2-3mm diameter crater around the needle.

I shall do a “pop” test to determine leaking and function.

I did a compression test through the glo plug hole. The manual say 2450psi @ 250rpm. I have all three cylinders @ nearly 3000psi after 4 revolutions and nearly 5000psi after 10. No significant variation between the three. Engine warm @ 150*f, battery charged.

-Any concerns with these readings?

Attached Thumbnails

The washer with the two holes seals the leak off/return gallery banjo and is usually aluminium. Yes you can re use it.
The compression readings you quoted are unrealistic and you may have a gauge problem, injector nozzle pressures are more in that region of 2500 -3,000 psi but do not significantly vary from the set pressure with rpm. Inspect those injector tip craters VERY closely, it is unusual to see a machined crater on an injector nozzle but a flame eroded nozzle usually indicates a problem. Is the pintle still intact or has it vanished?
Pete.
skipperpete is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine