Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2019, 05:08   #106
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Injector HP Fuel Line - How to Make?

^^ if only and only $10.95!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 15:09   #107

Boat: Seafarer36c

Yeah, but that tubing looked bueno. No way you could bend a regular tube like that. Maybe it was AL.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 15:14   #108

Are there Yanmar based tractor places where you are? Possible they have new fuel lines for much less?
Cheap hand benders work fine for steel brake tubing...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 15:31   #109

Boat: Nordic 44

By the time you fabricate new pipes and fit them you are not saving much money. After you make a set what do you do if you have a problem? Make them again? What is your time worth? Keep in mind that injector pump pressures are measured in thousands of PSI. Buy a set and you are done.

Sometimes you just have to pay the man, even if it is a rip off price.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 15:42   #110

Even straight simples ones appear expensive no matter where you buy them. Maybe $250's not bad.
https://www.thoroughbreddiesel.com/3...RoC_V4QAvD_BwE

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 18:02   #111

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
By the time you fabricate new pipes and fit them you are not saving much money. After you make a set what do you do if you have a problem? Make them again? What is your time worth? Keep in mind that injector pump pressures are measured in thousands of PSI. Buy a set and you are done.

Wottie may choose to answer this himself, but I'll try to explain his apparent madness (he's a personal friend, btw).

Wottie, like many of us, is retired and so in literal fact, his time has no specific dollar value. He enjoys the process of restoring old equipment of various sorts, not for profit but the simple pleasure of making something run once again. Again like many of us, he prefers to do it "on the cheap", even if he could afford to simply buy the necessary bit.

With these factors in mind, perhaps you can understand his efforts to make these injector lines... he's having a ball, despite occasionally bitching about th process.

GO WOTTIE!

Jim
Old 10-09-2019, 19:04   #112
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Looking at the vid in post #105 Wottie I have complete faith in you to do the bending ( & everything else )
I'm banking on it
With the added benefit that it will be much more satisfying than getting reamed by the Yanmar mafia
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 19:08   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Wottie may choose to answer this himself, but I'll try to explain his apparent madness (he's a personal friend, btw).

Wottie, like many of us, is retired and so in literal fact, his time has no specific dollar value. He enjoys the process of restoring old equipment of various sorts, not for profit but the simple pleasure of making something run once again. Again like many of us, he prefers to do it "on the cheap", even if he could afford to simply buy the necessary bit.

With these factors in mind, perhaps you can understand his efforts to make these injector lines... he's having a ball, despite occasionally bitching about th process.

GO WOTTIE!

Jim
Jim, I am the same kind of person. I have done many jobs myself because I take pride in doing them including making my own parts. Not always the most beneficial use of my time. But in cases like this it just makes sense to pay the piper.

My wife complains when I search for an hour to buy something from the cheapest source because I feel ripped off by the major marine suppliers. I don't like spending any more money than I have to. I retied at the ripe old age of 39 and sailed around the world. Did that by being a tight wad.

In cases where reliability is paramount, like having a reliable engine I would not scrimp. Just my opinion. Regards, Brian
Old 10-09-2019, 19:20   #114

Boat: Seafarer36c

I'm not willing to accuse him of being a luddite either.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 19:47   #115

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:

I seem to recall that the injector setting pressure for Yanmar injectors is 2,400 psi which, considering the small size of the connections, would not generate very large forces.

I once stopped a pinhole leak in a high pressure mud line carrying 3,000 psi with a Band It hose clamp and a small piece of rubber. My boss would not believe a hose clamp would hold 3,000 psi and actually climbed up into the derrick to see for himself. When I did the maths for a half millimetre hole he realized that the forces generated on the clamp were well within it's strength rating.

Go for it Wottie.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 21:11   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecos View Post
Yeah, but that tubing looked bueno. No way you could bend a regular tube like that. Maybe it was AL.
Bueno ???, while not familiar with the term, google translates it from Spanish to English as "good" or "fine". Perhaps I'm missing sometime as I suspect you aren't saying it is good.

And yes, I did think it bent way too easily!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 10-09-2019, 21:27   #117

Quote:
Jim, I am the same kind of person. I have done many jobs myself because I take pride in doing them including making my own parts. Not always the most beneficial use of my time. But in cases like this it just makes sense to pay the piper.

My wife complains when I search for an hour to buy something from the cheapest source because I feel ripped off by the major marine suppliers. I don't like spending any more money than I have to. I retied at the ripe old age of 39 and sailed around the world. Did that by being a tight wad.

In cases where reliability is paramount, like having a reliable engine I would not scrimp. Just my opinion. Regards, Brian
Others upthread have explained my position fairly well but let me add it has become personal to me not to encourage Yanmar in any way unless it is really really necessary ever since I had to pay Yanmar $500 for a single crankshaft main bearing for a 40 year old 8 hp engine.

I came very close to making my own at that time but I couldn't convince myself that the bearing stock I could source was as good as the Yanmar original. However since then and with more research, I'm pretty sure it would have been fine.

In case of these injector lines, the current ones have lasted 30+ years and it is only due to poor maintenance (by POs) that the exterior of them have wasted away. I can't see why similar DIY lines should not be as good. If I get them made a diesel injector shop, they will use the same steel, the same bends and the same ends and without wanting to over inflate my ability, I think I can do as well as their apprentice .

Time will tell.

And FWIW, I think the most reliable items when sailing are those that you can make (or repair) yourself.

However I appreciate your input - thanks.
Old 10-09-2019, 21:46   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
I seem to recall that the injector setting pressure for Yanmar injectors is 2,400 psi which, considering the small size of the connections, would not generate very large forces.

I once stopped a pinhole leak in a high pressure mud line carrying 3,000 psi with a Band It hose clamp and a small piece of rubber. My boss would not believe a hose clamp would hold 3,000 psi and actually climbed up into the derrick to see for himself. When I did the maths for a half millimetre hole he realized that the forces generated on the clamp were well within it's strength rating.

Go for it Wottie.
Yes, they are 2,400 psi and you make a good point about the relative sizes - I need to remember that!
Old 10-09-2019, 22:17   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Others upthread have explained my position fairly well but let me add it has become personal to me not to encourage Yanmar in any way unless it is really really necessary ever since I had to pay Yanmar $500 for a single crankshaft main bearing for a 40 year old 8 hp engine.

I came very close to making my own at that time but I couldn't convince myself that the bearing stock I could source was as good as the Yanmar original. However since then and with more research, I'm pretty sure it would have been fine.

In case of these injector lines, the current ones have lasted 30+ years and it is only due to poor maintenance (by POs) that the exterior of them have wasted away. I can't see why similar DIY lines should not be as good. If I get them made a diesel injector shop, they will use the same steel, the same bends and the same ends and without wanting to over inflate my ability, I think I can do as well as their apprentice .

Time will tell.

And FWIW, I think the most reliable items when sailing are those that you can make (or repair) yourself.

However I appreciate your input - thanks.
OK, I see that it is not the money but the principal. I agree with you. There is one particular well known sail equipment company that I feel the same way about. I won't bore you with details. Best regards, Brian
Old 10-09-2019, 23:20   #120
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Bueno ???, while not familiar with the term, google translates it from Spanish to English as "good" or "fine". Perhaps I'm missing sometime as I suspect you aren't saying it is good.

And yes, I did think it bent way too easily!
So did I Wottie, but wanna encourage you as I have a wager riding on it.
cannot say if Ali wud be adequate as I cant do the calc. But absolutely sure that original Yammer injection tube cannot be hand bent by most people. I was just having a laugh.
I have the same philosophy re Yanmar. The NZ $630 for an 8 hp conrod has permanently embittered me.
Our YS series engines ok but parts prices NOT. There are others that are just as bad, Volvo & Bukh spring to mind.
Think the "Bueno" quote mite be a mistake, I think you are on the right track saying you suspect it's not good
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel