Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2010, 22:09   #61

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Well, I've fixed Yanmar's li'l bundle of joy. Here's some before and after pictures. Up close you can really see the difference between NPT and BSPT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john
As I learned here in this forum, while tinned wire is desirable it is not required by ABYC.
Marine Wire Source - sponsored by Allied Wire & Cable, Inc.

You are right! But as much green corrosion as I've seen out there, I would think the ABYC/USCG would require it on all new builds. And after doing an hour or so of research I see it only requires 22 gauge or larger for instrumentation. Open mouth, insert foot.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	adaptor1.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	15286   Click image for larger version

Name:	adaptor2.JPG
Views:	217
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	15287  

Name:	NPTvsBSPT.JPG
Views:	213
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	15288  
Old 14-04-2010, 22:59   #62

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Ah! you have all thoes fun toys to play with..

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2010, 23:19   #63

Thumbs up It's done!

Well, the motor's in, running and afloat.
I first started it up in late April but I had other projects (new windlass and strut) to finish before launching the boat.

When I first pulled away from the dock it seemed all OK but I had to wait for a bridge opening so I shut down the motor waiting for the train to pass. When I started it back up it seem like I was getting a lot of vibration out of the prop shaft. The higher the RPM the worse it was.

So, I motored down stream (river) kind of testing as I went. I put it in reverse a few time and rev'd it a bit. It seemed to help just a little towards the end but I needed to dock it and would deal with it the next day. I figured it was the partly used zink set too far forward from the cutless bearing throwing it out of balance. I couldn't get more then 2400 rpm w/o it slapping the stern tube. And it was so bad that the PSS wouldn't seal 100%

Yesterday I donned the SCUBA gear and pulled off the old zink and replaced it with a new one closer to the cutless bearing. While doing so some dumb seal kept messing with my fins. I'm just glad it wasn't a shark.

This morning I took the boat out again. It seemed to help but I still could not get over 2700 rpm w/o the slapping. I did line up the motor while on the hard so I figure it's got to be the boat has reshaped itself in the water, misaligning the couplers. So I spent the rest of the day re-alinging the couplers, it was only .010" (.25mm) from top to bottom & .006" (.15mm) side to side. I would think a soft coupler adaptor would have taken up any minor misalignment.

It was getting windy and rainy so I just tied the boat to the dock and did a test run. It did good! I was able to get it all the way up to 3000 rpm w/o any major vibration. I checked the PSS and it was running real smooth w/o a drop. Tomorrow I'll take'r for a real spin.

Soooo, when they say the the couplers need to be aligned while in the water, that's a TRUE statement!!!! Boats sure do change shape on the hard.

It's funny though! My old motor was aligned on the hard and did just fine in the water. Maybe it's the slop in the old used trans bearings that will allow for some error.

We'll see tomorrow!

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN3696.JPG
Views:	272
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	17429   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3697.JPG
Views:	363
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	17430  

Name:	DSCN3698.JPG
Views:	262
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	17431   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3701.JPG
Views:	276
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	17432  

Name:	DSCN3717.JPG
Views:	260
Size:	358.4 KB
ID:	17433   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3718.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	366.9 KB
ID:	17434  

Old 30-06-2010, 05:01   #64
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Glad to hear that dilligence pays off.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2010, 06:31   #65

Boat: Beneteau 393
Del, are you at 12th st kinda near the travellift? If so I saw you the other day putting back from Anthony's on my dinghy! I didn't recognize you at the time. We have a very friendly seal- kinda young one- that loves to play with divers and paddlers. We were paddling our yaks around the basin last Sunday with some family from IL and it kept nibbling the back of the boats and popping up right beside us! I've gotta change zincs here soon, so I guess I'll have to get up close and personal with him! :P congrats on project completion- going out this weekend??
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2010, 06:38   #66

Boat: 1982 Oday 34
Congratulations, Del. Beautiful work.

I found out too late to help you, but all the automotive performance web sites like Summit.com and Jegs.com sell metric-to-standard adapters for oil pressure sensors, water temperature sensors, etc. Apparently it's huge frustration in the import car world as well.
Jetexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2010, 07:46   #67

Boat: Sceptre 41
HI Del:

I'm glad that things have worked out for you. Amazing that the tolerances are so tight on the engine.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2010, 09:15   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoPowers View Post
Del, are you at 12th st kinda near the travellift? If so I saw you the other day putting back from Anthony's on my dinghy! I didn't recognize you at the time. We have a very friendly seal- kinda young one- that loves to play with divers and paddlers. We were paddling our yaks around the basin last Sunday with some family from IL and it kept nibbling the back of the boats and popping up right beside us! I've gotta change zincs here soon, so I guess I'll have to get up close and personal with him! :P congrats on project completion- going out this weekend??
Yeah! I'm at the Everett guest slips, the new ones. I'll be pulling out Fri. morning heading for Eagle Harbor and around the Sound for long weekend, I need to start breaking in this new motor. Then back to the guest docks for a few more days and off to Sucia, if all goes well.

I probably seen you as well, but haven't seen you before so wouldn't recognize you anyway. The marina's not very busy this week.

As for seals (Gray w/spots), there was a new born screaming yesterday for about 3 hours yesterday. Finally it's mother showed up. It kept hanging around my boat so it may have been it's mother messing with me the other day.

................................_/)
Old 30-06-2010, 09:18   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetexas View Post
Congratulations, Del. Beautiful work.

I found out too late to help you, but all the automotive performance web sites like Summit.com and Jegs.com sell metric-to-standard adapters for oil pressure sensors, water temperature sensors, etc. Apparently it's huge frustration in the import car world as well.
Thanks! But I don't think there would have been room for an adaptor. This is good info to have though!
Old 30-06-2010, 14:32   #70
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
You did safety wire the coupling...I hope
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:01   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Engineer View Post
You did safety wire the coupling...I hope
Yeah! Two or three times just today.

I'm still having trouble with this stupid Yanmar jumping around. I swear If I didn't know better I'd think this thing was coming apart. I took it out this morning and at 2500 rpm the prop shaft is flopping around so bad the PSS doesn't want to seal 100%. At this rate it's actually going to destroy the PSS.

At the dock with the boat tied off it runs fine but when I take it out on the water the dang shaft starts flopping around. I think at the dock it's a steady push on the motor but out on the water it's probably an uneven push against the motor causing it to jerk around.

I pulled the soft adaptor between the couplers and and bolted then hard together. That helped quit a bit, I can get the 2500 rpm w/o the PSS leaking but now the prop is too close to the strut (1/2"). And the shaft's not long enough to make up the difference.

So, tonight I made a solid spacer to go between the couplers to take the place of the soft adaptor.

It seems like the motor mounts are way too soft and doesn't give the motor enough support especially under load. I think I'll be looking at some of those Ozzy specials with the special rubber that are so expensive.

Oh yeah! here's that baby seal born yesterday. I'll have to give him a name him and mom keep hanging around the boat.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	babyseal.JPG
Views:	261
Size:	379.8 KB
ID:	17455   Click image for larger version

Name:	adaptors.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	372.1 KB
ID:	17456  

Old 01-07-2010, 01:04   #72

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Awww how cute, - I use a R&D coupling like that. !!!
Old 01-07-2010, 06:33   #73
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
I'm still having trouble with this stupid Yanmar jumping around.

I would see if I can get some sort of rebate from the installer.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:58   #74

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500
just a silly question delmarry when you run engine at the doc 1/ is it in gear 2/ if not and the engine runs ok at 2700/3000 revs 3/then you may find that when you take boat out that when you get engine up to revs (2700) you may find you are getting prop shaft whip which is why your pss seal may have started leaking and this will happen still even if you think your prop shaft drive couplings are alinged and also you may find your propellor is out of balance which will also cause you probs when you run at higher speeds I had the same prob recently on my refit and had my prop shaft and propeller rebalanced and when they did the rebalance they ran the prop shaft and impeller together on the balancing machine at 3000 rpm tweakthe shaft and retweaked impeller blades so with all that done i fitted a new aqua drive shaft and tides seal and it worked a dream so it may be worth a check if all else fails
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:10   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
I would see if I can get some sort of rebate from the installer.
Yeah! I've already fired him, he doesn't work any more.

Tags
yanmar