Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2017, 16:49   #16

Boat: EggHarbor,Sportfish,35
Re: Installing an oil change pump

Just for interest.. How many posting in here have tried this item?
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-...23?recordNum=3

The reason I ask, is it COMPLETLY changed my view of changing oil. Its simple, clean and easy.. No wires, no extra pipes, no nothing. However, I do have a separate oil drain pipe on my MD2030s.

Travellerw Bought one at West Marine. Works great! I change my oil 2-3 times a year. Super easy to operate and no mess.
landsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 16:52   #17

Boat: Seafarer36c

All this talk of pump systems that drain and fill the engine with oil are NOT airworthy. You don't want any plumbing below the oil level and any fitting below the oil level should be safety wired. You cannot be sure pumps and hoses will stay safe unless you use the very best stuff and that ain't boat equipment.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 16:53   #18

Quote: "For the sideways filter, try putting a plastic bag around it so the oil goes into the bag. It's easier if you slightly loosen the filter first."

I do the same. I have the manual evacuator pump thqat is native to the Kubota (Beta) mounted at about a 45º angle for easier access to the handle. Works a charm. Coupla dozen strokes, and the sump is empty.

For filling, the local auto supply dealers sell a little special purpose funnel that slips onto the neck of a 1L (1Qrt) boggle. Expensive tho - 95 cents :-)!

Twixt the two of those devices and the plastic bag I never spill a drop.

TP
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 17:06   #19

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post

The reason I ask, is it COMPLETLY changed my view of changing oil. Its simple, clean and easy.. No wires, no extra pipes, no nothing. However, I do have a separate oil drain pipe on my MD2030s.
Works well for me, though I will concede that it can be a pain to store onboard.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 18:00   #20

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Works well for me, though I will concede that it can be a pain to store onboard.
I agree there.. Its not so difficult on our cat, but I can see how it would be a pain on a monohull.. I solved the hose problem by draining them for a few hours. As to storing it upright.. Nope we store it laying down, with the plug in and never had a problem (yet).

As to the electric pump.. I went down that path and then stopped at one point and said, "Holy crap, someone must have solved this already". I asked around and was pointed to the pump I listed above.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 21:43   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
Quote: "For the sideways filter, try putting a plastic bag around it so the oil goes into the bag. It's easier if you slightly loosen the filter first."

I do the same. I have the manual evacuator pump thqat is native to the Kubota (Beta) mounted at about a 45º angle for easier access to the handle. Works a charm. Coupla dozen strokes, and the sump is empty.

TP
It is that easy with a warned BETA.

How did Beta alone come to realize that boaters would change their oil? How is this still somehow seemingly their exclusive innovation? I'm highly satisfied with my BETA but aren't the other manufacturers coming along with a hand pump?

Now that it is boat show season let's pull all the different engine salespeople up on a stage for an oil change in a hull cutout. The "no you change it" show will offer some genuine entertainment for prospective buyers.
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 00:23   #22

Not wanting to install an oil pump - I went with a jabsco 12v pump and resovoir unit. One of my best investments for boat maintenance.

shufti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 00:37   #23

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I have 2 Detroit mains and 2 generators. Mine are plumbed with a shut off valve. I use the sump drain and a ball valve I can lock closed. Flexible hose for the 1st 18" so vibration doesn't fatigue plumbing. Engines are plumbed to a common drain line connected to a gear pump. Pump delivers oil to a used oil tank with a deck fill that commercial fuel docks can suck out. I can drain all 4 engines in a couple minutes. Originally I did oil changes, but now use a centrifuge and oil tests. Oil savings paid for the centrifuge and then some. Oil is always clean, too.
I only pump one way. Oil coming from the centrifuge either goes into another tank or collected into a large oil can and later poured back in the engines.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 05:42   #24

Well, yes, Lepke - but you are talking ships. We are talking toys :-0)!

And SecondBase: I don't think it's the case that other "marinizers" aren't aware of what's required. I think they just can't be bothered, cos boaters don't bitch. Lot's of "yachting" equipment is barely adequate for the job it has to do, because it's made for people who are only "playing at ships" and have never worked equipment that IS truly up to the job. My current grumbling is directed at the Lofrans capstan. In a thirty-footer OBVIOUSLY the anchor rode is gonna be 5/16" chain spliced to 5/8" rope. Why then make the spurling pipe so small that the splice will not go through it when the capstan is installed according to Lofrans' instructions?

When I get irritated enuff about THAT

TP
Old 12-10-2017, 05:45   #25

To continue:

...when I get ittitated enuff about THAT problem I start muttering that I don't want the silly relay box that reverses the capstans direction of rotation. I want a proper, oldfashioned, ugly, indestructible, indefeasible knife switch :-)!

TP
Old 12-10-2017, 14:28   #26

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
I too have one of these. Built a compartment inside my (deep) starboard cockpit locker to hold it and the tubes upright.
Old 12-10-2017, 14:38   #27

Boat: Cheoy Lee PH43

My boat came with a fixed reversible pump (Groco I think) which is connected to both the Yanmar engine & Westerbeke generator.
A Y valve switches between engine & generator. Toggle switch between extraction & refilling'

Love it !! and oil changes are no longer a chore.

Also have a manual pump as backup.
Luther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2017, 15:34   #28

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

My oil changes used to be horrible cramped messy tediously long winded affairs until I recently bought a 6l pela vacuum pump – on my first use I slipped the hose down the dipstick tube, pumped it up and sat back to see how it went. After a while I checked to see if it needed more pumping, which it didnt, so I set about making myself a cup of tea. I was casually flicking through a magazine over my cuppa when I heard the telltale gurgling sound indicating the oil level had dropped below the vac tube. Swapped filter, tidied up, loaded new oil, that was it, couldnt be easier.
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2017, 16:18   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliehows View Post
My oil changes used to be horrible cramped messy tediously long winded affairs until I recently bought a 6l pela vacuum pump – on my first use I slipped the hose down the dipstick tube, pumped it up and sat back to see how it went. After a while I checked to see if it needed more pumping, which it didnt, so I set about making myself a cup of tea. I was casually flicking through a magazine over my cuppa when I heard the telltale gurgling sound indicating the oil level had dropped below the vac tube. Swapped filter, tidied up, loaded new oil, that was it, couldnt be easier.
Yes I love mine as well for a Yanmar 3JH. As for cleaning the tubes - a little bit of brake cleaner through the tube with it still in the pump and dispose of the lot in the waste oil bin👍
Cheers Tom
Nineteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2017, 16:54   #30

Boat: Sceptre 41

Same thing but a lot cheaper. Mityvac 7400 Fluid Dispense/ Evac - Lubrication / Hose Reels

I let the tubes drip and then take a piece of paper towel and stuff it in the end. have not had a problem. Also I can stand mine up in the lazeret but when it does fall it has not leaked any residual oil.

I like the Beta pump better because it is self storing.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil, oil change