Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2006, 13:21   #1

Installing Engine Gauges?

I am in the middle of installing a dual Racor filter system (2 of the 500 Turbine series with two three way valves for selection). I am including a vacuum gauge and thought it might be a good time to also install oil pressure and engine temperature gauges in a nice neat little panel. It sure would be a big improvement over the warning lights and alarm.

I assume I would install a Tee fitting at the oil alarm sensor to install the pressure sender. I am not sure of the best place to install the water temperature gauge. The engine is a Yanmar 3JH2E, not the turbo model.

Any suggestions on sensor installation and perhaps even a brand or model of gauges to use?

Thanks, Woody
exposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2006, 13:36   #2

Woody,
A word of warning, Don't use brass for your oil T's and nipples. The vibration will cause the brass to fatigue and fracture. This can dump your oil in the bilge.
On the water, do you have a drinking water heater plumbed to the engine?
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2006, 13:41   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
I went with all TeleflexMorse and I'm happy with them. They're all plastic backed with non-corrosive brackets and fittings. And also come with a light bulb, installed.

And yes you can put in a "T" fitting for all the alarm systems. Best to plumb them in at the motor.

delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2006, 19:25   #4

Thanks for the warning on the brass material. This probably would have been my first choice. I guess the preferred material is straight steel then? I would assume that stainless fittings would be fine as well?

Delmarrey. I like the simple look of the white faces. A set of the smaller size would be a near perfect fit to the panel mount vacuum gauge I ordered. They will all probably be mounted in the aft end of the cockpit since that is where the engine is on the Prout. Your install looks very nice.
Old 28-11-2006, 02:42   #5

vacuum gauge? I hope this isn't for the diesel. It won't function on a diesel
Old 28-11-2006, 04:10   #6

Pat,

The vacuum gauge is for the fuel filter, to monitor when it begins to foul. It's not a manifold vacuum gauge.

I also forgot to add in my last post that I do not have an engine heated water heater.
Old 28-11-2006, 04:21   #7

I think I read that somewhere. It's early. There are two ports on the cooling water circulation pump. These are normaly used for the water heater. Pull out one and thread in your sender for the gauge.