Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2022, 06:33   #1

Boat: Prout Event 34
Is "diesel efficient" fuel suitable for a small marine engine?

I usually buy my diesel fuel at a gas station one jerry can at a time. Exxon's diesel efficient is lower price and per Google has additives premixed. I assume that's for trucks. I've been afraid to use it but would like an opinion based on actual knowledge.

So should I use it in my Yanmar 3GM30F? In Florida if it matters.
john2445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2022, 06:44   #2

Boat: Norseman 400
Re: Is "diesel efficient" fuel suitable for a small marine engine?

Fleet guy here. It similar to Chevron's Techroline. It will still burn (work) and won't hurt anything. I'd only buy it if was cheaper than regular diesel.

The site for Exxon Efficient doesn't mention if it any biocide added in the "treatment". We treat our sailboat diesel with BioBore.

Hope that helps.
Sailor647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2022, 07:23   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Be aware that you are likely paying road tax on a non-road diesel task. Off road diesel, which you could buy at a marina fuel dock, is dyed red because the road tax has not been paid.
Old 31-05-2022, 07:24   #4

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
Be aware that you are likely paying road tax on a non-road diesel task. Off road diesel, which you could buy at a marina fuel dock, is dyed red because the road tax has not been paid.
But, may still cost more. It does here (Hilton Head)
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2022, 12:42   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Esso "Diesel Efficient" is just an ultra low sulfur fuel, with a detergent additive.

Esso Diesel Efficient fuel contains a patented additive technology [detergent] that is specially designed to clean up both internal injector deposits and nozzle coking deposits.
Esso Diesel Efficient fuel is designed to provide benefits in all types of applications with light, medium and heavy duty diesel engines from different manufactures, including but not necessarily limited to light duty passenger cars, on-highway heavy duty
trucks and off-road construction/mining equipment. Esso Diesel Efficient fuel is specifically recommended for the latest engines with high pressure injection systems, including those with high pressure common rail (HPCR) injection.
Esso Diesel Efficient fuel with ultra-low sulfur level is compatible with today’s advanced emission after treatment systems including Diesel Oxidation Catalyst (DOC), Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF), Exhaust Gas Recirculating (EGR), and Selective
Catalyst Reduction (SCR) and Lean NOx Trap (LNT) technologies.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2022, 12:46   #6

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Isn’t marketing advertising what PT Barnum referred to?

Buy the freshest and cheapest diesel you can find and ensure water doesn’t get in your tank.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2022, 13:36   #7
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
got 5-gal "road" diesel the other day. Even with the tax it is less expensive than at a marina
Old 31-05-2022, 15:30   #8

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

Some fuel stations in farming areas sell offroad (dyed) diesel for use in tractors and farm machinery. I typically pay ~$0.50-$0.60/gal less for it compared to regular diesel, and more than $1/gal less than diesel at the marina fuel dock.

Note: some of the stations (at least around here) have larger pump nozzles that don't fit in 5gal jerry cans, so shop around or bring a funnel.
Bellinghamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2022, 17:44   #9

Buy diesel from an agriculture supplier. Farmers don't pay road tax.
Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2022, 18:03   #10

Gas Oil, Road Diesel, Agricultural, Marine, Diesel and Heating Oil are all the same stuff. Just different dies.
There are lower grades of Diesel which are blended with heavier fuel, not typically sold at any location you are likely to frequent with a pleasure boat.
Uricanejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 04:53   #11

Boat: Columbia 9.6 meter

Quote:
Originally Posted by john2445 View Post
I usually buy my diesel fuel at a gas station one jerry can at a time. Exxon's diesel efficient is lower price and per Google has additives premixed. I assume that's for trucks. I've been afraid to use it but would like an opinion based on actual knowledge.

I’ve used ULSD in my Yanmar since 2006, store the fuel in the tank over winter, and never add any additives. The modern road diesel fuel is very clean.
It doesn’t stink like rancid fuel from the off road pump, and it is clear in the bowl of the Racor prefilter, which I changed once in 2020, but no visible accumulation in the filter or the bowl.
BTW, inspection of injectors shows clean, done in 2021.

No rotten smell from sulfite-reducing bacteria (the bugs that turn diesel black). I believe that removing sulfur from the fuel reduced its ability to support those bacteria in the tank.

Once, years back, I needed to start a siphon and did the traditional bit of sucking a hose…then got a mouth full. I was horrified, and sure I’d be tasting diesel for days. After spitting it out, I realized that it made no more taste than the old mineral oil laxative that Mom gave us as kids, and was about like common salad oil.
Didn’t notice any aftertaste, and though I’d not drink the stuff, found this close encounter harmless.

I drive a diesel automobile with common rail injection, and so fuel up from time to time.
It seems that the cheaper brands road fuel smell more like “varnish” or solvents, than the premium brands.
I’ll bet your Yanmar will run just fine with the fuel you mentioned, and wish you many hours of clean running.
Cheers ~ 9.6
Ninedotsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 10:40   #12

Boat: Watkins 27 - 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by john2445 View Post

It'll be fine. That little 3 GM would probably run on cooking oil once it got started. (Though I don't recommend it )

I've always used premium diesel (and for a while bio-diesel) in my boat(s). Given the low annual hours (mostly getting in and out of the harbor) the additional cost was negligible, and based on the experience with my old VW Passat? The fuel burned a lot cleaner.
Old 02-06-2022, 08:35   #13

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Aww, let them pay road taxes, if they don't know by now, marine, & Off road use is different.
Someone's got to pay it.
Boatyarddog
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 08:42   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uricanejack View Post
Gas Oil, Road Diesel, Agricultural, Marine, Diesel and Heating Oil are all the same stuff. Just different dies.
There are lower grades of Diesel which are blended with heavier fuel, not typically sold at any location you are likely to frequent with a pleasure boat.
Not all the Same, marine diesel is more likely to be dosed with biocides by blend.
Not so with common road use diesel.
You can ask your filler, but ,I'd bet they don't know.
Boatyarddog
Old 02-06-2022, 08:45   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho View Post
Buy diesel from an agriculture supplier. Farmers don't pay road tax.
Legally, you cannot use agricultural or Marine/ off-road use (red) in your road vehicle.
If you get caught, there are heavy fines imposed.
Boatyarddog

Tags
diesel, engine, fuel, marine