Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2008, 07:42   #1

Is there an emergency fix for a fuel line leak on a 1GM

I have a fuel line leak at the coupling for the fuel line going into the injectors. I cannot see a crack in the ferrule or its entance point on Fuel injector casting.
Is there a quick fix to last a couple days for this that anyone knows of?
Thanks
johnmcntsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2008, 08:40   #2

Boat: Sceptre 41
I had a leak in that spot on my 1987 Mercedes Diesel (car). I tried drying it off and using JB weld so that I could get ti to the shop. It slowed the leak down alot but the pressure in that area seems to kick out alot of fuel. Engine was pretty soaked by the time I drove it 20 miles. The thing I would try is that new tape that is self congealing. I forget the name of it but you are playing with a high pressure area.

I'll throw this out as a suggestion but don't know enough about engines to know if it is a good idea or not. What about disconnecting that fuel line and capping it? I don't think it would cause perm damage. Well I just looked it up and that is a one cylinder engine so scrap that idea.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2008, 08:40   #3

is this the steel line in the side? or the rubber on top?
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2008, 08:50   #4
cruiser

**WARNING: This is not the right way to do it, but...

I've actually been successful using epoxy to fix a leak in a high pressure injector line in a pinch on my old boat.

The epoxy fix lasted through a month of nearly solid motoring during the initial delivery of our boat.

Just an idea... although I'd listen to Nevermonday.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2008, 09:00   #5

Never,
It is the steel line on top, and it connects directly to the injector housing. Thoughts?

Thank you to Charlie and Capt Sully for suggestions
Old 31-07-2008, 09:39   #6

thats the return line. on each side of the fitting there are copper or aluminum crush washers. should be 8mm ID. You'll find them at any NAPA, diesel shop etc...
Old 31-07-2008, 09:51   #7

This is the line that gores directly from the second pump to the injector housing. It sends fuel directly to the injector housing. it is a steel line with a sliding nut attached that screws directly into the injector housing.
The fuel is coming out of the inside of the nut where the line goes through the nut. I have taken it off and tried to see if the head to the line which goes into the housing is cracked but it is not.
Old 31-07-2008, 10:07   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmcntsh View Post
This is the line that gores directly from the second pump to the injector housing. It sends fuel directly to the injector housing. it is a steel line with a sliding nut attached that screws directly into the injector housing.
The fuel is coming out of the inside of the nut where the line goes through the nut. I have taken it off and tried to see if the head to the line which goes into the housing is cracked but it is not.
ok, thats not what you said above. The steel line you are now referring to goes into the side of the injector. I can't help if you don't give good info.
No sealant will help with the diesel present under 2000psi.
Now, the line is a flare. Pull the steel line totally off of the engine. Inspect the end of the steel for small fractures and deformity to the flare.
If none. reinstall and tighten it until it stops leaking. Also confirm the injector isn't cross threaded. Also the leak should be a pulsing spray, not a dribble.
Old 31-07-2008, 10:37   #9

Never,
Sorry about the confusion and thank you so much for your help.
I have used an emery cloth to take any pits or marks off the end of pipe. No cracks or marks can be seen, using a loop. I cannot get at the orofice on the receiving end of the tube on the injector housing very well to inspect that. Can i take off the injector and inspect and reinstall without having to recalibrate in any way. Again
Thank YOU!
John
Old 31-07-2008, 10:40   #10

Boat: Phillip Rhodes 60 ft
Send a message via Skype™ to Alondra
I had the same thing once. I had a rough time fixing it with epoxe all trough the night because the line constantly is wet of oil and there. Strangely enough, after many attempts I managed, just keep on trying and you may succeed in getting it done and hold for some while. GOOD LUCK
Rene, SY Alondra, India
Alondra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2008, 12:10   #11

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 25 "Turtle"
My 30yo YSM8R is a bit different but.......

I to had a small drip at that same place. I hated the fact that I would waste a half cup of fuel into the bilge mop every summer. Thats almost 1/2 an hours fuel !

I undid the fitting and found there was a rubber o-ring that had been damaged , probably during a repair.

Cost $1.92 so I bought a dozen just in case.

Of course now that I have these parts I'll never need them and something else will go wrong. Just more stuff to be buried with I guess........m
Old 31-07-2008, 12:48   #12

cant,
I thought there might be some sort of seal there but it seems there is nothing. Just the steel nozzle going into a steel flair.
Old 31-07-2008, 12:55   #13
cruiser

Quote:
cant,
I thought there might be some sort of seal there but it seems there is nothing. Just the steel nozzle going into a steel flair.
Another crazy idea - free thinking, if you will:

Do you carry a small pipe flaring tool on board and have enough play to cut and re-flare the pipe?

I had to do that to a refrigerator connection recently a guy was having some trouble with.
Old 31-07-2008, 13:08   #14

Capt,
Unfortunately the flared part is in the casting of the injector, its actually a part of it. The nossle is on the high pressure fuel line.
If it was the other way around that would work though
Old 31-07-2008, 13:36   #15
cruiser

Quote:
Capt,
Unfortunately the flared part is in the casting of the injector, its actually a part of it. The nossle is on the high pressure fuel line.
If it was the other way around that would work though
Awww... crap.

Tags
fuel