Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2022, 14:43   #1

Isuzu 3AB1 starter issues.

I have a DE 38 that I just bought it has a Isuzu 3AB1 and I went to start up the engine on a cold morning and it would not start, then the key in the off position the starter motor would not stop.
I turned the battery off at the main and disconnected the battery’s in the engine room and it stopped.

Could it be the solenoid?
DE38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 13:50   #2

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: Isuzu 3AB1 starter issues.

It could be anything in the start circuit, but the solenoid contacts can become pitted over time and draw more amps than their rating to make contact. More amps causes more pitting and can weld the contacts together.

Most solenoids have two copper studs, one for the battery cable and one to the starter. A disk makes contact with the studs. The disk turns slightly each use to to keep pitting to a minimum. The solenoid is an electromagnetic switch. The contacts are kept apart by spring pressure, When the solenoid is energized, the switch overpowers the spring and the disk makes contact with the studs.

If you disassemble the solenoid, the stud/contacts and the disk pitting can be filed to restore the solenoid to like new condition. On some solenoids the disk can be reversed. Cheaper/smaller solenoids have a non-rotating bar instead of a disk.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	starter solenoid.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	319.4 KB
ID:	269410   Click image for larger version

Name:	starter wiring.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	269411  

Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote