Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2023, 16:04   #1

Boat: Panda 40, 40'
Isuzu C240 (QD60)- which way to loosen crankshaft bolt?

We have a marinized Isuzu C240 (QD60) on a Panda 40 that has been dormant for some time and in need of a lot of clean-up/corrosion work at a minimum. The crankshaft end bolt, that holds the lead pulley (of 3) has a 36mm hex head on it. We have the socket and a breaker bar (as well as a cheater), and are fabricating a bar to secure onto the pulley to prevent rotation (against the engine), but we're uncertain as to which direction loosens the bolt. It's been sprayed a few times with Blaster, and we intend to apply a torch to heat the shaft and pulley, in case a little thermal expansion or softened thread sealant helps.

Can someone advise on the loosening rotation (CW or CCW), and anything else we might do to promises success?
CWillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2023, 23:28   #2

Boat: Island Packet 40
Re: Isuzu C240 (QD60)- which way to loosen crankshaft bolt?

Have a look at the male thread where it sticks out from the nut and you should be able to see which direction loosens it.
Old 30-05-2023, 18:26   #3

Boat: Panda 40, 40'

Thanks , and I would if I could, but I can't.

We think that such a crankshaft end bolt as this would be machined flat on the underside of the hex to seat 'flat' against the largest (and first pulley) in a recessed opening barely large enough for the 36mm socket. The pulley is machined, both sides, to be between the bolt head and the end of the crankshaft. There may be a machined washer in there too. So, there are no exposed threads to view.

We have since bumped the starter, and know that the crankshaft rotates, from the pulley (forward) end, counter-clockwise (CCW), and still not getting any simple movement (not applied the heat yet)
CWillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 16:48   #4

Boat: S&S 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWillC View Post
Thanks [emoji2], and I would if I could, but I can't.

We think that such a crankshaft end bolt as this would be machined flat on the underside of the hex to seat 'flat' against the largest (and first pulley) in a recessed opening barely large enough for the 36mm socket. The pulley is machined, both sides, to be between the bolt head and the end of the crankshaft. There may be a machined washer in there too. So, there are no exposed threads to view.

We have since bumped the starter, and know that the crankshaft rotates, from the pulley (forward) end, counter-clockwise (CCW), and still not getting any simple movement (not applied the heat yet)
Use an ¾" impact gun with 36mm impact socket...it's a right hand thread..
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote