Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2010, 03:13   #1

Isuzu or Mitsubishi

Hi All,
I'm new to this forum so I hope my question is in order. I am replacing the old petrol engine in a classic timber 26ft Halvorsen cruiser which has at last started failing. We have the choice down to two diesel engines, a 50hp Isuzu and a 42hp Mitsubishi.

I have read on this forum some comments on the Isuzu, all very positive but I can't find any opinion anywhere on the net for the Mitsubishi. It would be great if I could get some opinion from you guys.

The main difference between the two engines, apart from hp, is that the Isuzu has a four injector pumps (one for each cylinder). Whereas the Mitsubishi has a single pump serving all four injectors. I'm learning fast but I don't fully understand which system is best or why one manufacturer would choose one system or the other.

Any advice gratefully received.

Mike (Australia)
romford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2010, 03:45   #2

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
If that Isuzu has a timing belt, I would avoid it--I saw one with a broken belt, and it was pretty much done in.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2010, 17:44   #3

Boat: 55'alloy performance cruiser
Hello, The Isuzus are great little longlife industrial engines, parts are usually readily available. They are used in many of the Hitachi excavators and take a real beating. We had the 47 hp model as a genset and it lasted for almost 20,000 hours. On the otherhand, the same company had a big Mitsi' main engine that was very difficult to find parts for , even though it was quite new. I have just bought a 85 hp Isuzu for my new 55' alloy cutter I am building. Great price too! Greg
Mirar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2010, 22:07   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by romford View Post
Hi All,
I'm new to this forum so I hope my question is in order. I am replacing the old petrol engine in a classic timber 26ft Halvorsen cruiser which has at last started failing. We have the choice down to two diesel engines, a 50hp Isuzu and a 42hp Mitsubishi.

I have read on this forum some comments on the Isuzu, all very positive but I can't find any opinion anywhere on the net for the Mitsubishi. It would be great if I could get some opinion from you guys.

The main difference between the two engines, apart from hp, is that the Isuzu has a four injector pumps (one for each cylinder). Whereas the Mitsubishi has a single pump serving all four injectors. I'm learning fast but I don't fully understand which system is best or why one manufacturer would choose one system or the other.

Any advice gratefully received.

Mike (Australia)
Hello Mike,
I have installed 5 Isuzu Diesel Engines to replace various Engines and drive trains that that were either faltering or where spare parts were very difficult to find or were very expensive EG. Volvo. Ford. etc
I chose Isuzu engines over others for 2 main reasons - parts are widely available and very reasonably priced in South east Asia and Australia. The ones chosen were either Isuzu industrial engines or even better the engines that are to be found all over this part of the world in pickups - parts are available at less than 25 % of those for "marine diesels".

Here is a picture of just one :- the 4JB1 engine with a TMC gearbox. ( This engine is used in the 2,800 cc Isuzu pickup. By the way, The Isuzu engines models I have used have a single High pressure fuel pump delivering to separate injectors. What type of boat is your Halvorsen and what petrol engine does it now have, the ones I know are the Kong and Halvorsen (rather like the Grand Banks)
Where are you in Australia?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4JB1 Engine day 1.jpg
Views:	482
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	16559  
Laidback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2010, 22:42   #5

Hi All,

Thanks for the feedback and advice. We are flying up to Brisbane on Wednesday to have a good look at the Isuzu engine and to be able to talk to the supplier.

Laidback: The boat is a Halvorsen 26 and we are based in Pittwater, Sydney. The engine that we have taken out is a Chrysler ACE. It was still running fine but oil pressure was climbing and the diagnosis is that the bearings may be shot.

Here are two pictures one of the old engine prior to removal the other of our pride and joy Trina.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9684.JPG
Views:	243
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	16560   Click image for larger version

Name:	trina3.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	16561  

romford is offline   Reply With Quote