Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2019, 15:05   #16

Boat: Amel 50
Re: Jugging diesel; "Baja" filters

Here is the Practical Sailor comparison report:

Deck-Fill Fuel Filters Comparison - Practical Sailor

Summary in table form PDF file: Deck-Fill Filters Comparison Summary

boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2019, 15:36   #17

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Jerry jugs are a necessity for cruising IMHO. Sometimes it is necessary to get fuel at an auto/truck filling station. Also, I find it is often easier to zip over to a fuel dock in the RIB with jugs than to up-anchor and maneuver for a spot at the fuel dock. And fuel docks don't always have great fuel; in the PNW with our rain the fuel can be delivered with a bit of water. Taking jugs with a car to the local truck stop will assure quality fresh fuel at a lower price.

And speaking of water... The Baja filter has a series of flat screens, the bottom one for blocking water. It takes very little water spread across the screen to block fuel flow. This is not normally a problem, but when there is water contamination the Baja is a huge PITA. The other filter linked to above has vertical screens and should be able to hold a fair amount of water before the flow is blocked. For debris the Baja is probably better, but I prefer the high water capacity of the other. (I do have a Baja, but rarely use it.)

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2019, 16:02   #18

Boat: J/42

My reasons are about equal parts inadequate tankage and lack of available fuel at docks. Although if the tankage problem were solved, I wouldn't need to find fuel in so many places...
Found a Baja filter, cheap, on craigslist. Fellow said he carried it around Baja for two years and never, ever used it, and it had since been taking up space in his garage.

Oh, also, I am sticking with the Atomic4 for the time being, so the main engine, the dinghy engine, and the scuba compressor (and maybe someday the aux generator) all use the same fuel. At least one can is needed to transfer, anyway. Usually carry two in cruise mode.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2019, 16:20   #19
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
Jiggle siphon and this filter which beat the Baja in testing . . .

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have one - It does a good job, BUT it is sooooo slow! The quoted rates are a joke and it gets nowhere near them.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2019, 16:34   #20

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Cruising up North (WA, BC, SE AK) I have certainly found myself at any number of places without a marine fuel dock nearby. I have walked down the street to a gas station/fuel facility hauling 5 gallon jugs in a cart. I have also taken a taxi (or hitched a ride) to a fuel facility with 2 or 3 jugs. Some places will send a truck with a minimum purchase but that often will not work for sailboats. I have been into the dock at Neah Bay a couple of times after the fuel dock has closed in the Fall. The tribal dock has fuel but they won't sell to yachties, so off I go with my cart and jugs. So yes, having a couple 5 gallon jugs with you is a good thing.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2019, 16:58   #21

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
It depends a lot where you are cruising. As Ann said if its world wide then you will at times need jerry jugs. We've used jerry jugs in places where the fuel dock was too hostile. Beam wind, tight quarters, ugly wall.

To move fuel from a jerry to the tank without a mess we use shaker siphons. They are magic and work really well.
Absolutely magic, don't leave home without one, or two.
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2019, 19:16   #22

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
I have one - It does a good job, BUT it is sooooo slow! The quoted rates are a joke and it gets nowhere near them.
All it does is start the siphon. The siphon speed should be the same as any siphon setup with equivalent hose.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2019, 20:11   #23

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddster8 View Post
My reasons are about equal parts inadequate tankage and lack of available fuel at docks. ...
Oh, also, I am sticking with the Atomic4 for the time being

Your engine choice may be another equal part. There are plenty of things to like about the Atomic 4 but they have never been known for their fuel economy.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 20:30   #24

Boat: Outremer 51

about these Baja filters... do you use them any time you fill up at a marina? say a popular marina, even one with fuel tanks underwater like Lauderdale ? Or is this just for certain places..?
cooties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 04:44   #25

Quote:
All it does is start the siphon. The siphon speed should be the same as any siphon setup with equivalent hose.
I think he was talking about the filter being slow. Not the siphon.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 05:04   #26
cruiser

Useless... we have a “Baja filter” which will only eliminate some of the larger sediment if present. It won’t filter out water or smaller crud, but it will make you feel better about yourself having done something.

If one was to actually want to do something to prevent dirty fuel issues, something like what’s pictured below would be what is needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C5CBC45E-3798-47F2-83E1-7EC7294FE0C3.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	409.3 KB
ID:	193283  
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 05:17   #27

Boat: Krogen 42

There should be 3 filters in a Baja filter for course, fine and water. It sounds like your water filter portion must be damaged
Old 05-06-2019, 05:22   #28
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by meridian28 View Post
There should be 3 filters in a Baja filter for course, fine and water. It sounds like your water filter portion must be damaged
We don’t use it any more, we installed a fuel polishing and double Racor system four years ago. No more worries.

But thank you very much for the suggestion.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 07:36   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, cooties.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 15:19   #30

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
It depends a lot where you are cruising. As Ann said if its world wide then you will at times need jerry jugs. We've used jerry jugs in places where the fuel dock was too hostile. Beam wind, tight quarters, ugly wall.

To move fuel from a jerry to the tank without a mess we use shaker siphons. They are magic and work really well.
Never could get ours to work
Gave up on it
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baja, diesel