Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2013, 09:27   #1

Boat: Catalina 30
Keyed ignition w delay

At this moment I am designing the control panel for my boat which currently has nothing but a 7x11 hole.

I am thinking about putting a delay circuit in which can be turned off from inside the cabin (switch or key near the raw water seacock) This circuit would allow the the motor 2 or 3 minutes of run time before shutting it off. Adjustable timed relays are only $8 on Amazon.

I don't plan on having a key in the cockpit.

Is this a bad idea?
Old 30-12-2013, 13:01   #2

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Re: Keyed ignition w delay

Let me see if I've got this right -
You plan on expending additional money and additional time on installing something that can break and is not necessary?
Gee, I'll have to think about that.
Me, I just turn off the engine when I want it off.
Old 30-12-2013, 13:18   #3

Hot tub timer switch. Turn the knob, get up to 15 min of 'on' time.

But I hafta agree that it's possibly adding complexity in place of developing better habits .
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2013, 13:40   #4

The thought was to make it were someone without access could move the boat a little but not motor off and overheat the motor. The timer only being In the circuit if the switch is off.

My other thought is no key at all, just a run switch and start button in the cockpit.
Old 30-12-2013, 14:05   #5

While Yanmar probably has something else in mind than the PO, the new B20 and C20 instrument panels that are shipped with Yanmar 4JH4s (and I think other sailboat size models) don't have keys.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-12-30 at 5.04.23 PM.png
Views:	1353
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	73031  
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2013, 16:46   #6
cruiser

I'm still unsure what it would do for you and why it's necessary? On a side note I just purchased a new 3ym30 on dec 20th, to install the panel I needed to cut the harness and I was kinda bummed that it was not tinned wire.
Horror Hotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2013, 16:54   #7

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Having had several experiences, on my boat and others, of saltwater in the key switch, I decided to eliminate the usual switch altogether. I use a standard Hella battery switch, with removable plastic key, in my control panel. For security, the start battery switch, inside the cabin, acts as the ultimate control against undesired use by another. I keep a bunch of the plastic keys hidden for when they die of natural causes (sunlight UV, mainly). The switch isn't totally waterproof, so, it's packed with grease.
Attached Images

Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2013, 16:54   #8

If you are suggesting running the engine with the seacock closed, even for a few minutes, you will probabily ruin your raw water impeller, before it overheated.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2013, 07:05   #9
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
I've done a few conversions from key switch to buttons. I use 22mm ip68 industrial push buttons , wired so that two must be pushed together to start the engine. It's does need a set reset relay if you need the equivalent of a " ignition circuit"

Dave
Old 31-12-2013, 09:46   #10

Mulling over my options.

Thinking now is a breaker below on the master panel feeding a cockpit mounted panel. Will have a run/ start/ steaming light/ navigation lights and bilge blower switch in cockpit.

Turning on the run switch will activate the blower for a set period of time (have to do math for volume) before energizing the start button and coil.

The 2 start buttons is not a bad idea.
Old 31-12-2013, 10:49   #11

Boat: 1981 Irwin 37

If its a gas engine I can see having a delay before start to let the blower run, but what happens in an emergence and you forget to flip the switch down below or there is a four min delay (with diesel). After you run aground the little green light comes on to say you can start the engine now............?

John
irwin37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2013, 14:10   #12

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Garbone View Post
---- Will have a run/ start/ steaming light/ navigation lights and bilge blower switch in cockpit.

Turning on the run switch will activate the blower for a set period of time ----
I would just use my watch but I'm obviously out of date lol.
My breaker panel in the main saloon controls everything except the ignition key. The fewer things I have up in the cockpit near the weather the better I like it. But, your boat, your way. I'll shut up now.
Old 31-12-2013, 14:36   #13

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Garbone, you might consider using a DPDT (double-pole, double-throw) rocker switch for your nav lights. The Blue Sea Contoura model is relatively waterproof, depending on your installation. In the center position, all lights are OFF. IN the position labeled "SAIL", one half of the poles provides power to the masthead tricolor, and the other half provides power to the compass light. In the "POWER" mode, one pole provides for deck-level running lights and the "steaming" light, the remaining pole also powers the compass light. Here's a pic of my panel, which uses a bunch of these switches to control foredeck light, the HID (High Intensity Discharge) spreader lights, one switch for Portside, one Starboard, Stern HID lamp, the forward deck light, and the last powers all the little red LEDs scattered about the boat, labeled "NIGHT LIGHTS".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2007-3-12 049.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	405.6 KB
ID:	73088  
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 06:41   #14

Thanks for all the responses folks. I am starting to get to what I think will be the configuration I want on my control panel switches.

My main thought is to have all the operational stuff like Nav and steaming lights in the cockpit so the watch does not need to leave the helm.

Seasense makes a 5 switch "waterproof" panel that I think I can adapt for my purposes. I can have Run, Nav lights, steaming light, spreader/fordeck light and a start button on the panel as well as a accessory outlet and still leave me space for my Tach, volt meter, fuel and temp guage. I already have a hinged cover for the panel so it will be covered except for when in use.