Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2019, 06:01   #16

Re: Lehman SP135 Wont Start

As suggested by Wotname in post 13[emoji844]
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 17:50   #17

Boat: Transpac 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by moseriw View Post
OK: here is your original manual

Lehman-SP135-owners.pdf

For my Lehman 2712E it look like this:

Dankeschoen!

Mit meinem kleinen Natel, habe Ich nicht Gesehen dass Du in Oestereich Wohnst. Jetzt verstehe Ich, dass Englisch warscheinlich nicht Deine Muttersprache ist Genau so wie meinem Deutsch

Ich bin Froh dass einige Leute versuchen dieses Problem zu loesen! Danke fuer Deine Input!

Gruss aus Australien
Old 03-10-2019, 18:04   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperpete View Post
It looks fairly clear in the pump pics that you have been bleeding the pump case vent screw and if you get a good fuel flow out of that bleed point there is no logical reason why this engine won't fire up, especially knowing that the rack moves freely. At this point a diesel mechanic would open all the injection line nuts and get an offsider to crank the engine ..... with the seacock closed.... and operate the rack directly by hand until fuel starts to appear at the unions, then lock up the nuts and try a start. Watch the pump elements and springs in the window for the normal movement up and down as the engine rotates. There is an outside chance that the injector pump drive gear retaining nut has come loose and the key has sheared , either changing the timing or completely disengaging from the pump. This could explain the sudden stop.
It's also possible to observe the pump gear rotation through the little timing window by removing the hex plug on the pump mounting flange and rotating the engine manually with a socket and bar.
I'm really baffled why she won't fire up , these Fords start quickly even after long periods of layup (10 years and more) wit the barest amount of priming. 🤢[emoji848]
^^ Will try the above, once I have rigged up the temporary fuel filter/source. I am not sure where the timing window is, but I might just crank it over in short bursts to observe if any of the plungers, springs etc are moving. Getting a bar on the front of the engine would be an exercise in itself.

Wotname - I hope that it hasn't, that sounds expensive
The journey continues
Old 04-10-2019, 07:24   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

1.) The screw looks used but I do not see much diesel around.
when you bleed: one has to start the engine and you have to wait as long as a steady stream of diesel comes out. Then close it.

2.) This looks like the stop solenoid.
To make sure it is OK I would dismount it and check it outside.
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 11:39   #20

Boat: gulfstar sloop 44ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by moseriw View Post

1.) The screw looks used but I do not see much diesel around.
when you bleed: one has to start the engine and you have to wait as long as a steady stream of diesel comes out. Then close it.

2.) This looks like the stop solenoid.
To make sure it is OK I would dismount it and check it outside.
Number 2 is an excess fuel solenoid for cold starting not a shut off
ulpilot45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 01:34   #21

Update:

Sorry it has been so long reporting back, but the starting problem has been solved.

Either utter stupidity or fuel theft [emoji850][emoji854]

Fuel tank was empty, even though I had thought it was around half full @ 500ltr. Last time I looked at the fuel level tubes, it was half full, and haven't done much motoring since then [emoji2955]

What made me twig was that the external priming pump was not picking up fuel. When switched fuel tanks at the manifold, immediate fuel flow. Undid the front injection line to bleed air, job done.

A lot has happened healthwise since I originally posted, and that prevented me from completing the job, and posting the results.

Anyway, thanks for all the responses, and suggestions, that's what make this forum so awesome.

Cheers,

Tim
Old 11-02-2020, 02:12   #22
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

That is good news and fairly cheap fix - although 250 litres of missing diesel isn't cheap
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lehman