Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2021, 08:13   #31

Boat: Cross 24 trimaran
Re: Lightweight diesel engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Your id says "searching for trimaran", so do you have trimaran now and if yes, what model? i have my sights on a 32' Searunner tri

Is this an "expected" issue or one you have experienced it regularly? Expected issue

Is there space and what does the extra weight do to the trim of a small trimaran?The designer in his drawings has a 10hp diesel - 20hp max drawn to the port side(?) of the centerboard case.
So the issue is really weight, and what is included in the "empty" and "loaded" weights? The designer says "empty" is normal equipment for daysailing - and yes, i asked this question by email. Since a diesel is shown in the drawings, i assume the diesel is included in the "empty" weights.

And i assume that by the time the other stuff is added to the Kubota Z482, it will weigh the same as the Beta 14, so at that point we have just the cost, and i am sure that i can beat the price of a Beta 14 by a LOT by using a Z482 motor from any number of tractors and industrial equipment.

i am second in line for the boat, so we shall see if i get her, and if i do then i have a 1000nm trip to test out the outboard. i assume after that trip, i will have a better idea.......
jon
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
longjonsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2021, 08:49   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by longjonsilver View Post
So the issue is really weight, and what is included in the "empty" and "loaded" weights? The designer says "empty" is normal equipment for daysailing - and yes, i asked this question by email. Since a diesel is shown in the drawings, i assume the diesel is included in the "empty" weights.

And i assume that by the time the other stuff is added to the Kubota Z482, it will weigh the same as the Beta 14, so at that point we have just the cost, and i am sure that i can beat the price of a Beta 14 by a LOT by using a Z482 motor from any number of tractors and industrial equipment.

i am second in line for the boat, so we shall see if i get her, and if i do then i have a 1000nm trip to test out the outboard. i assume after that trip, i will have a better idea.......
jon
That helps move the discussion forward a lot.

If it's the one I found online for sale, it looks like they bolted the outboard way out on the stern as an afterthought...as opposed to a trimaran designed for outboard power.

I think assessing after the long trip home is a good plan of attack. It might do fine but no harm in having a backup plan in mind.

With the bulk of the diesel install near the center of the boat, it may actually be better even if it weighs more than the outboard due to better positioning of the weight.

It does appear the designer intended a small diesel, so I wouldn't expect the weight to be an issue and there should be space for it. At that point, it's just a standard small diesel installation.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2021, 10:05   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
That helps move the discussion forward a lot.

If it's the one I found online for sale, it looks like they bolted the outboard way out on the stern as an afterthought...as opposed to a trimaran designed for outboard power.

I think assessing after the long trip home is a good plan of attack. It might do fine but no harm in having a backup plan in mind.

With the bulk of the diesel install near the center of the boat, it may actually be better even if it weighs more than the outboard due to better positioning of the weight.

It does appear the designer intended a small diesel, so I wouldn't expect the weight to be an issue and there should be space for it. At that point, it's just a standard small diesel installation.
Yes, you probably found the one. (Hopefully, you won't buy it out from under me.. ) cuz the outboard is hanging on the stern. The designer put his outboard on a sled - and the new owner of that boat still uses it that way. But by the time you add the weight of the sled to the boat, well, it might be the same as a small diesel.

And my plan to assess it on the way home, is part of advice that was given to me - don't change anything for a year and find out why the previous owner used it that way. His experienced opinion might be better than your (my) newbie ideas.....

jon
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
Old 24-02-2021, 11:02   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by longjonsilver View Post
Yes, you probably found the one. (Hopefully, you won't buy it out from under me.. ) cuz the outboard is hanging on the stern. The designer put his outboard on a sled - and the new owner of that boat still uses it that way. But by the time you add the weight of the sled to the boat, well, it might be the same as a small diesel.

And my plan to assess it on the way home, is part of advice that was given to me - don't change anything for a year and find out why the previous owner used it that way. His experienced opinion might be better than your (my) newbie ideas.....

jon
No worries. Not my style of boat. Just tryin to understand the problem before suggesting a solution.

A sled or moving the outboard forward addresses a lot of the downsides of an outboard...but as you say, by that time there isn't much to gain over a diesel installation if you have to do major work to move the outboard (probably why it got bolted to the stern in the first place)
Old 25-02-2021, 06:10   #35

Kubota T1600H uses the Z482 engine
Old 01-03-2021, 04:18   #36

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

My tri had the Yamaha 9.9 XLS mounted on the rear of the starboard wing which is also known as a beam or vaka. The PO built a cowling and mount for it so it hung down low enough. The prop did come out of the water in good chop. It would have been better mounted amidships. It was maneuverable going forward but I had no turning ability in reverse going to starboard. I had a side tie slip and learned that backing out was not an option so I would just pull in forward and spin her a 180 by hand at the dock. A think a stern mounted outboard would help the backing up but I had a rudder there so a mount would have been complicated plus more weight in the rear.
Old 01-03-2021, 04:24   #37

Also drystacks generally don't work on sailboats most of the time. You just can't run the exhaust pipe high enough with the rig in the way.
Old 01-03-2021, 04:30   #38

I installed a lift like this.
Old 01-03-2021, 05:18   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
I installed a lift like this.
We had one of those that we stored our dingy outboard on and it could drop and function as an emergency backup power for the mothership.

It's still the problem of being too far back. If the stern lifts, the prop comes out of the water. An acceptable trade off for an emergency backup but not as primary propulsion.
Old 01-03-2021, 05:26   #40

Old 01-03-2021, 05:47   #41

It worked fine on my boat and it's still on there years later. I motored hundreds of miles including into 4' chop with thatr bracket. My boat originally came with the outboard hard mounted to the block on that cowling. We had an outboard throttle extension handle which was OK but you had to reach way down to the engine to change the gear shift lever which was a real pain. Visualize idling up to the dock but now you have to climb out of the cockpit and lay on your chest to reach down to put the motor in neutral. The choke was down there too btw. I wanted to covert to remote control but there wasn't enough room in front of the motor for the cables. That bracket solved that issue by moving the motor back a few inches but it did move the weight back a touch. I purchased a used Yamaha 8 and was going to install it on the other side but it was just too complicated to build another cowling or something similar so I abandoned that project plus it was just more weight aft.
If the OP could devise a mounting 2 structures amidships or forward of the rear beams then 2 smaller outboards would be just about ideal. More work and complication but a real satisfactory drive train. But boats are compromises.
Old 01-03-2021, 05:50   #42

Hey Longjon, is that a custom bracket? How does it work?
Old 01-03-2021, 06:00   #43

Boat: 2019 Fountaine Pajot Saba 50'

This is probably to big for your needs (385Lbs), but the Yanmar Dtorgue 111 diesel outboard technology is getting close. I'm looking forward to the day I can ditch gasoline entirely with a diesel outboard on the tender.

https://www.yanmar.com/marine/product/engines/dtorque/

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw
CalmSeasQuest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 09:00   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Hey Longjon, is that a custom bracket? How does it work?
She is not my boat yet, currently negociating with the seller. So to answer your question, i don't know.

jon

Tags
diesel, engine