Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2009, 17:37   #16
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
The Yanmar Shifter cable bracket mounts on the bell housing of the transmission.

The cable normally runs aft to the shifter linkage. The socket for the shifter cable should be on the outboard side.

Then again, I have seen many )ahem) "unconventional" ways of "riggin" them
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 20:17   #17

Boat: Sceptre 41
HI Chief:

The cable was mounted as you said above by the people who repowered. When I looked at the cable I noticed that there would be a better alingment if the bracket was mounted on the inboard side. I mounted it there. I noticed that it would be an even better alingment if I mounted the socket on the outboard side of the bracket but with the socket pointed inboard. It is an odd lookeing alingment but it runs straight down and the distance is supposed to be 7.375" from the socket to the lever in neutral position and it was spot on. The gear shift lever has a better feel now it is easier to sense when the boat is in neutral. When I take the biancle apart I will shorten the toggle on the other end of the morse cable so that the gear shift lever is closer to horizontal when the boat is in neutral but I hope I have resolved the problem.

It makes me feel better that the typical is supposed to be on the outboard b/c that means the installers went with conventional wisdom.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 18:25   #18

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
There are 3 grades/quality of Morse control cables 33, 43, 64 - get the best quality cable and make sure there is not slack or movement in the shift lever cable housing clamp system and the alignment is accurate for the arch the lever moves. Same on the transmission end, the cable mounting brackets should be aligned for minimal swing or twist when the shifting occurs.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 20:21   #19

Boat: Sceptre 41
Is it 3 different grades or sizes. I didn't spend much time looking at it but my understanding was that the different numbers represented different size diameter cables.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 21:56   #20

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
There are 3 different "quality" grades. With corresponding higher prices. The construction of the interior of the cables is different; the materials different; and the ends are different. There is up to a 100% difference in price between the "cheap" and the highest quality grade. The higher quality are going to be "beefier" and stronger but diameter of the cable is of no consequence. Normally the mounting brackets are adjustable and the end threads are standard across all qualities. You normally get a mounting kit designed for each different quality cable.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote