Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2020, 07:47   #16

Boat: Morgan Classic 33
Re: Long term outboard motor storage.

Not saying to do or not do any of the things described above, but in my experience, for whatever reason, outboard motors are the least likely of any ICEs to 'lock up' from sitting unused or even turned over. Seen plenty 'stored' in a field 30 years; pull the cover off, you can turn them 360 by the flywheel...try that with most cars, they lock up solid. At least in the humid south.
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 07:55   #17

Most problems from setting comes from GAS. Just gets old. like people just sitting. Clean out gas . Eliminate most storage problems every thing else helps. I never was able to have some thing sell it and rebuy and not have wasted a lot of money.
Old 09-03-2020, 08:24   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by er9 View Post
wow thats pretty cool. i would love to see that mustang.
It’s the only one in existence, being an XP it was the Experimental prototype of which there were only two, it’s very different than that production aircraft, mostly in that it has twin Merlins where the production aircraft were all Allison powered, as such the XP is much faster and much more powerful.

They spent over 10 years rebuilding this airplane from essentially scrap and over 200,000 man hours, they were so meticulous that any graffiti on original parts was duplicated onto the new parts, and every single wire has the correct wire number printed on it etc.
I was there a few years ago and Tom asked me to look at the flush riveting and tell me what I thought, I didn’t know what to say as the rivets were overdriven, Tom smiled and said that the originals were overdriven, he didn’t know where North American got those riveters, but they sure didn’t know how to drive rivets.
We did a whole lot of heat treating parts for them where I worked and sold them quite a bit of raw material out of our surplus stock, so I got to be pretty good friends with him and Weezie the lady that helps them a lot.
https://youtu.be/wEJwLcj6qEU
First official flight.

Look through their blog, you will be amazed at what they accomplished, and how perfect it was done.
http://xp-82twinmustangproject.blogspot.com/
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor, outboard, storage