Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2013, 10:36   #1

Boat: Beneteau 461 46'
Looking for a mentor to help with boat

Hi there - I'm looking to sail around the world in September to raise money for orphanages. I currently have a 1996 46' Beneteau that is in decent shape but needs some work to get it ready for open ocean cruising. I'm looking for someone who has done a circumnavigation or extensive cruising that could help me put together a list of everything that needs to be done and potentially help me with the work while actually explaining what they are doing. I'm located in San Francisco and could pay for your services but hopefully we could work out a better rate than ~$85/hr that seems to be standard for people working on boats. Any help with making my dream a reality would be greatly appreciated.

Happy sailing.
Bumberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2013, 11:21   #2

Boat: Westsail 32
Re: Looking for a mentor to help with boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumberg View Post
Hi there - I'm looking to sail around the world in September to raise money for orphanages. I currently have a 1996 46' Beneteau that is in decent shape but needs some work to get it ready for open ocean cruising. I'm looking for someone who has done a circumnavigation or extensive cruising that could help me put together a list of everything that needs to be done and potentially help me with the work while actually explaining what they are doing. I'm located in San Francisco and could pay for your services but hopefully we could work out a better rate than ~$85/hr that seems to be standard for people working on boats. Any help with making my dream a reality would be greatly appreciated.

Happy sailing.
Hal Roth, the renown blue water sailor has a book called: How to sail around the world, I own a copy and it might be a good place for you to start. Books by Hal Roth (Author of How to Sail Around the World )
Old 17-12-2013, 14:37   #3

Re: Looking for a mentor to help with boat

Evans Starzinger writes frequently here with great material. He & his wife have a great website. Google him & Beth Leonard.

I'm not sure I understand your request. You want somebody to walk you through getting ready? There are sooo many, many checklists from folks who have done these trips it is staggering. All online, too.

Good luck, safe journey.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men