Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-02-2024, 16:58   #16

Re: Looking to buy a boat but a lot of rust on the engine!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
I took a good look at all the photo's. My 2c is that the engine bay has seen a lot of salt water. The engine mounts are quite rusted up as are various other parts. Completely submerged, probably not, but it has certainly taken a " bath" in salt water.

I would have pulled the dipstick while I was there, never know what you'll find there. Also check any other fluids, coolant, etc. If the boat has a clear fuel/water separator, another check to look for contaminated fuel, etc.

Don't stop your visual inspection there. Check the stuffing box, clamps, belts, wiring etc, etc. All this can bite you in the butt of you don't know what you are looking at.

The general condition of the engine room/space seems to indicate very little maintenance, as most owners tend to keep the engine room/space relatively clean. This one looks like a dump.

The price of the boat speaks volumes as well. Don't be led by the nose by the asking price. $20K does not buy a lot of boat. I'm curious to know how long this boat has been on the market. A boat with three cabins is generally speaking way north of a $10OK. Three cabins on a 30' usually means a v-berth up forward, and smallish single berth under the cockpit and a table that may have to be dropped to make another berth or a long settee. Three private cabins is out of the question.

If it were me, I'd move on, but if you're gung-ho about the boat have a good surveyor give it a go over. Yes, this will cost you, but will save you a lot of money in the long run.

If you are planning to go the Caribbean, you'd need a check list several pages long, A reliable motor is a key component as you'll be using it a lot more than you think.
Thank you for checking the photos and the thoughts about it, Ill move on and not look back.
3 cabs for me is the V berth, the saloon, and a room at the back at the port/starB.

I have seen 2 catalina 34's , CSY 33, endeavour 33, I know that all of the so different designs but i just want to get in and see how it feels to be on one and if possible to live on for a long term.

I have a lot of experience on doufor classic 35 and Allen 33 because i was working on them for 3 years in a sailing school.
I really loved the doufor and i try to find a boat that will touch my heart like that one 😅
jackiemelni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2024, 17:10   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

You will likely have to up your budget to find something in reasonable condition.

Take your time. Yachtworld has a lot of listings, but check brokerage firms in your neck of the woods as they will have their own listings and likely know more about the boats they are trying to sell.

Boats have the uncanny ability to " talk to you, you'll know when it's the " right" one when one calls out your name.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2024, 17:27   #18

Boat: Volkscruiser

Jackiemelni this one might tick the box if you double the budget.
Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-03-01 112655.png
Views:	55
Size:	372.8 KB
ID:	287010  
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2024, 20:23   #19

A poorly maintained engine room points to poor maintenance throughout.
If you’re handy with tools, and want to take on a project, make a very low offer.
Don’t worry about insulting the owner, what he’s offering is an insult to the buyer!
kapnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 07:25   #20

Boat: 29 ft

Quote:
Boats have the uncanny ability to " talk to you, you'll know when it's the " right" one when one calls out your name.

Absolutely true. Ours saw us, understood that we were under time pressure to buy as we had a long absence from work already approved. It lured us, we got hooked, put it in a boatyard for the most urgent repairs and checks (while working long days in winter on it in parallel). End of story: Yes, we went for a long summer cruise in spring, one of the best things we ever did, departed only 3 weeks later than planned, but the boat yard bills - oh my ... New standing rigging, new roler furler, 1 new sail, other sails repaired, engine pulled, head overhauled, sump and pump screen checked and cleaned, new stern tube seal, new rudder bearings, new osmose shield, stern reinforcement for wind vane steering and some other stuff. And lots and lots of checks, a partly survey on load bearing points etc etc. The rigging attachment points on the bulkhead had come loose - that needed repair. Tanks cut open and cleaned (that was very worth it). Then all the stuff we bought and did ourselves - new halyards, chartplotter (2nd hand), wind vane steering (2nd hand), new antenna cable and so on and so on. All within 4 months. We only had little trouble on the cruise, the extensive preparation paid off.

An old rule of thump used to be, that a very well maintained but older boat could fetch a market price of around 1/3 of a comparable new boat today - if the design was still in demand. Depending on the market situation and on buyer and seller, that can be stretched one way or the other but it was a good indicator in the past. We bought for much less than the 1/3 but in the meantime (5 years later) with all the replacements, repairs and upgrades, we are well above the 1/3. And we would not be able to fetch 1/3 of todays new price. Current insurance value is around 1/5th of todays new price. Just to give an indication about budgets ... There are lucky buys out there, but not that many.
Hesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 07:32   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
Jackiemelni this one might tick the box if you double the budget.
Cheers
Nice boat and good price but too big for me mate.
Thanks for the sharing though
Old 01-03-2024, 07:34   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesti View Post
Absolutely true. Ours saw us, understood that we were under time pressure to buy as we had a long absence from work already approved. It lured us, we got hooked, put it in a boatyard for the most urgent repairs and checks (while working long days in winter on it in parallel). End of story: Yes, we went for a long summer cruise in spring, one of the best things we ever did, departed only 3 weeks later than planned, but the boat yard bills - oh my ... New standing rigging, new roler furler, 1 new sail, other sails repaired, engine head overhaul, sump checked and cleaned, new stern tube seal, new rudder bearings, new osmose shield, stern reinforcement for vind vane steering and some other stuff. And lots and lots of checks, a partly survey on load bearing points etc etc. Tanks cut open and cleaned (that was very worth it). Then all the stuff we bought and did ourselves - new halyards, chartplotter (2nd hand), wind vane steering (2nd hand), new antenna cable and so on and so on. All within 4 months. We only had little trouble on the cruise, the extensive preparation paid off.

An old rule of thump used to be, that a very well maintained but older boat could fetch a market price of around 1/3 of a comparable new boat today - if the design was still in demand. Depending on the market situation and on buyer and seller, that can be stretched one way or the other but it was a good indicator in the past. We bought for much less than the 1/3 but in the meantime (5 years later) with all the replacements, repairs and upgrades, we are well above the 1/3. And we would not be able to fetch 1/3 of todays new price. Current insurance value is around 1/5th of todays new price. Just to give an indication about budgets ... There are lucky buys out there, but not that many.
Same here, I got a bit pressure because im not a us citizen and cannot work here and gotta head out to the carib, over there I can work in kite schools and as a skipper in some boats
Old 01-03-2024, 08:00   #23
Marine Service Provider

Do what I did...marry an American girl....boom....green card...
Old 01-03-2024, 08:40   #24

Quote:
Do what I did...marry an American girl....boom....green card...
Yeah thanks but im planing on getting a latina in the carib, better life there i reccon 😂
Old 01-03-2024, 10:12   #25
Marine Service Provider

Good luck to you mate, with boat and Latina search !!!!
Old 08-03-2024, 06:44   #26

Have an engineer do a survey and compression test on the engine. It could be well worth the cost.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2024, 07:54   #27

I don’t know what model of boat it is but based on your information I would run from this one.
Don’t worry it will still be for sale next year if you happen to change your mind.
Goodxcharly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2024, 08:18   #28

Buying a used car - and I bought many - if the engine is pristine clean, I get very suspicios. It has probablly just been cleaned for the purpose of sale. Running it and looking for performance, noises, oil prssure and temperatures,leaks and smoke is much better.

Capt. Claus São Paulo / Brasil
clakiep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2024, 09:22   #29

Boat: Nordic 44

If you see exposed balsa core that is an even worse red flag. Wet core, old boat = disaster.

Run, run very fast.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2024, 09:28   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
If you see exposed balsa core that is an even worse red flag. Wet core, old boat = disaster.

Run, run very fast.
Yeah i dont proceed with the boat. I ran away from it. Too much troubles in one boat for too much money.

Tags
boat, engine