Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2020, 14:52   #1

Looking to rebuild a Perkins prima 50

Hey everyone, I am having trouble finding a shop that will rebuild the head/block on my Perkins prima m50 engine. I am really trying to avoid repower after getting a quote of 20k... Decided to do the rebuild myself but after going through the workshop manual it looks like I need a bunch of specialty tools to do it.. Been calling around my local area of Washington state but no one seems to work on these, or at least they don't want to.

I managed to pick up 2 m50 engines for cheap so I have an abundance of spare parts, the engine currently in my boat is running but smokes a thick white smoke at startup, after warming up it still smokes a bit of blue. I suspect either the rings are bad or cylinders are glazed. Also burns about a quart every 20 hours...

If anyone could lead me to a mechanic or machine shop that works on these engines it would be greatly appreciated 😀
Mastermuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 15:04   #2

Re: Looking to rebuild a Perkins prima 50

Prima 50.. was that Mitsubishi? Is the diesel guy out by the Shilshole boatyard still around?

Maybe it's a Volvo MD-22 engine ,.. which is...?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 15:11   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Think it was a British Leyland engine that was used in cars and vans plus loads of industrial uses, may have been built by Perkins for Leyland though. Perkins and Volvo MD22 variants based on the same block. with minor changes.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 15:20   #4

Yes, It's a Perkins engine....same block as used by Volvo Penta as the MD22, so you might find a VP tech to work on it.....

But I think it's unrealistic to expect anyone to do a rebuild and use a bunch of used parts......no one could place any sort of warranty on that.

DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 15:38   #5

Thanks for the response. I am planning on replacing pistons, rings, bearings, valves. I don't think they usually replace camshaft and crankshaft on rebuilds, and you wouldn't be able to find a new one. I would like to replace the oil pump but haven't found any new. I originally planned to do the rebuild myself but after going through the workshop manual there are quite a few specialty tools I need that Perkins doesn't sell anymore. Notably the valve cover holds down the camshaft, so to adjust the valves you need 3 clamps to hold it down to get the valves set..

The current engine i have stripped down had the rod unbolt itself causing damage to the crankshaft and sending the Piston up into the valves. There isn't any damage to the block, so I was planning on taking the crank and cam from the spare engine. Haven't taken the head apart yet but I'm guessing the camshaft is damaged.

The other engine was a running takeout but was smoking on startup, i haven't been able to get the head off as the bolts are siezed.
Old 03-03-2020, 16:21   #6

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 47.7

The engine is built by Perkins. They built about 200k of these. They were sold to Volvo and they were used in a small industrial truck. I rebuilt our M60, which has the same block as yours. The specialty tools were easy to find and were not expensive. They make working on the engine MUCH easier! Here's a link to a site where I bought all the rebuild parts:https://www.parts4engines.com/perkin...0t-500-series/
RobTryon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 16:24   #7

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

I'm sure they must have built way more than that. They were used in the MG/Rover Montego 2 litre diesel, and lots of vans/trucks in the UK too. The parts4engines website is a great start, but poke around on UK websites to find much cheaper spare parts for the block itself.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 18:08   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobTryon View Post
The engine is built by Perkins. They built about 200k of these. They were sold to Volvo and they were used in a small industrial truck. I rebuilt our M60, which has the same block as yours. The specialty tools were easy to find and were not expensive. They make working on the engine MUCH easier! Here's a link to a site where I bought all the rebuild parts:https://www.parts4engines.com/perkin...0t-500-series/
Where did you find the specialty tools? I called Perkins and they don't sell them anymore. Haven't found anyone else that sells them.
Old 03-03-2020, 19:19   #9

Boat: Islander 36

A product that the Australian mining industry seems to like for diesel engines. Read what they have to say about blow by.

https://costeffective.com.au/product...l-concentrate/

There is a US distributor.
Old 03-03-2020, 21:36   #10

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

You can buy an engine kit for about $500 from parts for engines. https://www.parts4engines.com/perkin...0t-500-series/
Any shop that does gas engine rebuilds should be able to do the head, and any rebuild shop should be able to bore the block. I wouldn't waste the time putting together an engine without new bores and pistons. It could start smoking again next year.
In rebuilding several hundred diesel engines, without damage from oil loss, the crank and cam are usually ok. My 1947 Detroits have standard cranks.

A larger farm tractor dealer may have a machine shop. Tools may be on eBay.
Another source for engine machining would be race shops.
I don't know where in WA you are but there's plenty of diesel machine shops.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 22:32   #11

You probably don’t need much in the way of special tools, the 2 timing pins are just 6mm rod, 2 long bolts will lock the injector pump and you need a good torque wrench for the critical bolts top and bottom. Also a white paint pen. The camshaft can be held down using a few home made alloy vee blocks and 3 g clamps, do the valve settings totally by the book while the head is on the workbench.... much easier this way.
Pay close attention to the water pump">raw water pump drive tang and be prepared to re align the housing with precision if you take it off the head.
Buy a new circulating coolant pump with the tensioner and idler rollers. It’s a pain to later have to redo the timing just to change that pump.
Replace the con rod bolts with new ones, they can fail with catastrophic results. There are two key ways in the injector pump pulley so before you pop off the pulley , mark which keyway lines up first.
Enjoy the rebuild!
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 14:35   #12

Thanks for all your insight, already knew about parts4engine, used them to replace the timing belt and water pump.

Still haven't found a shop to work on the engine around here, seems they are either booked or don't want to work on it.

Im looking to get the head rebuilt and the block machined, anyone have a shop or person that comes to mind?
Old 18-04-2021, 17:40   #13
TMK

I’m looking for Perkins m60 fuel injection lines, anyone have any leads?!!!
I’m stranded in Bahamas
TMK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grass, perkins, rebuild