Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2013, 19:16   #16

Boat: Tartan 37 "Velera"
I would say that it must have had a minimum of 2 qts even if the installation is more or less level. As I recall a 44 has a capacity of nearly 5qts. If the oil in it was the oil that was run in the engine at the low point, I would run it for a bit and have an oil analysis done on it and pump all of the oil out and measure what is in it. I do not think that engine would run for ten hours on one quart of oil without seizing or having metal in the pan if there was a problem. It is obviously your decision, but there is something weird here. Compression checks are difficult and messy on a diesel but if that was OK and the oil analysis was clean, I personally would not be that worried about it. I think you may be surprised at how much oil was actually in the engine--remember to count the oil in the filter. Let us know what you do and decide.

Ray
Velera
Castine, Maine
Pete the Cat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil