Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2014, 19:26   #16

Boat: Island Packet 40
Re: Mack Boring - Marine Diesel Training

I also think that Larry rocks, he probably is retired.....took the 3 day course a couple of years ago and he was about to celebrate birthday number 70 with his twin brother.
I thought the course was worth the money, it is directed right at cruisers with good advice on preventative maintenance as well as trouble shooting. If you need advice on any situations with your own engine this is a great place to get answers. One of the other great features was getting to work on my actual model of engine, I have a 4JH2E on my nearly 20 year old boat and they asked what engine was in the boat on the application form for the course. They then had it on the shop floor for the hands on part of the course, no having to try and relate some other engine to yours-----this is your engine. Great confidence booster to remove the starter motor, remove the injectors, pull off the head cover and adjust the valves, retorque the head bolts; put it back together and it starts. Nice to be shown where to place the 2X4 and give it it a good whack with a hammer to get the starter motor off!

Jim
lovinlifebda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2014, 19:39   #17

Boat: 1968 Ohlson 38 Sloop
Send a message via Yahoo to phantomracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinlifebda View Post
I also think that Larry rocks, he probably is retired.....took the 3 day course a couple of years ago and he was about to celebrate birthday number 70 with his twin brother.
I thought the course was worth the money, it is directed right at cruisers with good advice on preventative maintenance as well as trouble shooting. If you need advice on any situations with your own engine this is a great place to get answers. One of the other great features was getting to work on my actual model of engine, I have a 4JH2E on my nearly 20 year old boat and they asked what engine was in the boat on the application form for the course. They then had it on the shop floor for the hands on part of the course, no having to try and relate some other engine to yours-----this is your engine. Great confidence booster to remove the starter motor, remove the injectors, pull off the head cover and adjust the valves, retorque the head bolts; put it back together and it starts. Nice to be shown where to place the 2X4 and give it it a good whack with a hammer to get the starter motor off!

Jim
yup worth its weight i gold. i may take the course again as a refresher.
phantomracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2014, 05:40   #18

Boat: EndeavourCat 36

Larry retired, but John Farrell, who replaced him, is just as good. He has been teaching the dealers and military guys for some years now. I sat in on a portion of his NWSA women's class this past March. I took the class from Larry 4 years ago. I am considering taking the full class again next year. I have Volvos, and even though everything is taught on Yanmars, he knows Volvos and Westerbekes and Perkins as well. I think he worked in his family's boatyard and dealership for many years before joining Mack Boring.
Cuttyhunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2014, 07:18   #19

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttyhunk View Post
Larry retired, but John Farrell, who replaced him, is just as good.
That is wonderful news. I was concerned that there would not be anyone to pick up the great work Larry did.
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2014, 21:05   #20

Hi,
I took the basic diesel course in Annapolis School of Seamanship ( two days), and was very good. They also have the advance level trouble shooting (two days also). You can take both courses back to back in Annapolis,MD.
When I took the course last year, they had students from all over the country including a girl that came from Alaska just to take the course.
Andy
openseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2014, 09:43   #21

Also recommend Mack Boring, class outfit.
marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, marine