Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2014, 10:48   #1
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
Making Fuel Injection Pipes?

Im in the process of painting my perkins 4.108 and the fuel lines have been rusted stripped and painted so many times its just a matter of time till one gives out. A low pressure feed line rusted thru last trip and left me engineless. While checking out the possibilities I came across this.

Small Tube Beading Tool For 5/16" and 1/4" Tube

Also found 316L seamless Stanless tubing for around $4 a foot. With a bender and tubing cutter and the above tool is it possible to make my own injection lines in stainless? I really cant believe they havent blown yet as badly pitted as they look.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 10:56   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Making Fuel Injection Pipes?

No, because they are up to 3200 psi. Trans Atlantic Diesel, should be able to fix you up with a new set of lines, factory made originals. You would not be able to put the olives on correctly, for that matter.

Lloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsailbyowner View Post
Im in the process of painting my perkins 4.108 and the fuel lines have been rusted stripped and painted so many times its just a matter of time till one gives out. A low pressure feed line rusted thru last trip and left me engineless. While checking out the possibilities I came across this.

Small Tube Beading Tool For 5/16" and 1/4" Tube

Also found 316L seamless Stanless tubing for around $4 a foot. With a bender and tubing cutter and the above tool is it possible to make my own injection lines in stainless? I really cant believe they havent blown yet as badly pitted as they look.
FlyingCloud1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 11:33   #3
cruiser

so would the problem be with the rolled bead? the tubing is rated for 4500 lb working pressure with 75000 burst pressure.
Old 11-02-2014, 11:49   #4
Marine Service Provider

Yep, the olive is a precession machine fit. Next SS would be to soft for the olives. How in the world would you even DIY the olive?

Lloyd

Quote:
so would the problem be with the rolled bead? the tubing is rated for 4500 lb working pressure with 75000 burst pressure.
Old 11-02-2014, 12:10   #5
cruiser

Thanks for the pic and heads up. Ive only taken off the low pressure side and havent seen the ends of the injector pipes yet. I am in contact with Tad diesel and looks like it will run around $200 for the set of four.
Old 12-02-2014, 00:36   #6
Marine Service Provider

You are welcome.

It's a great day, when you can do something for your diesel, for less then a 1/4 boat buck.

Now make sure you align them right, and use new rubbers in the the brackets. Never let a HP fuel pipe rub one to the other. Otherwise the vibration will wear a hole in your new pipes.
Lloyd

Quote:
Thanks for the pic and heads up. Ive only taken off the low pressure side and havent seen the ends of the injector pipes yet. I am in contact with Tad diesel and looks like it will run around $200 for the set of four.
Old 12-02-2014, 01:03   #7

Boat: Passport 41, Custom Perry in steel.

Don't do it, Stainless is notorious for its limited fatigue life. We had a maritime disaster in this country when genuine spares were deamed too expensive on a Naval vessel that also unluckily had nearby ignition source and that material was better than what you intend using.
I have faith that your diesel parts supplier will tell you the same thing. Even LP pipe can suffer from fatigue.
Oceanride007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 01:19   #8
cruiser

Like I said after looking at the pipes Im amazed that theyre still holding the pressure. The engine sits over a wet bilge and corrosion has been a constant struggle. This time there was a drip from a connection underneath the heat exchanger out of sight. The low pressure feed pipes were so far gone they could almost be crushed with fingers. The two rear injector pipes were a half inch around low where the vibration must have been atomizing the saltwater and misting it over them. What a pita its been using wire brushes toothbrush sized, drill mounted wire brushes, 4" grinder cup brushes and screwdrivers to flake of the failing paint. Then removing the starter, exhaust, cooling system and wiring to gain access. Ive been on it almost a week already standing on my head in the cramped engine compartment.Next comes the detergent scrub, etching, rusty metal primer, then finally engine paint. Im thinking I may start regularly soaking the whole thing down with silicone spray like I used to do with the outboard powerhead on my first sailboat. Next time I paint it im going to pull the engine, I think there will be less labor involved and a better job can be done. this has been an annual thing.
Old 12-02-2014, 02:36   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

I replaced the lines on my Perkins HT354 with brake lines. I made templates of the shapes with wire coat hangers and took them to an auto brake shop where they bent them, put on the nuts/olives and flared them for me. That was about fifteen years ago. They stood up to about 8000hrs for me and the new owner is now on his second loop with them.

PS. All metal parts on my engines are sprayed annually with Boeshields T9 and I have never had any rust whatsoever on my engines. This is a huge factor on how long these lines have lasted.
Old 12-02-2014, 03:56   #10

I'm happier with brakelines, however HP pipes by design are tuned, play around with pipe material, dia, shape, thickness of pipe the amount they HP pipes dilate may vary your timing. So be ready to alter injection timing.
Those pipes are expensive I suspect cose they got you by the bollocks. Commercially I wouldn't take the risk, private I would monitor closely.
Old 12-02-2014, 04:04   #11

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

Now I've learned something. As a "get home" feature, it's nice to know brake line will work. I'd never have thought so. I'd be especially careful if the engine were a DI engine though.

(IDI approx 135bar, DI approx 300bar)

Oceanride is 100% correct regards the timing.

Cheers.
Paul.
GRIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 08:30   #12
cruiser

Now ive read of 3 people using brake line and diy. Maybe fiddle around with the worst one first and see if i come up leak free. Ive got a few bucks to spend on the engine compartment still and anywhere I can save some money just makes other projects come along faster. Of course when the lines are off its time to have the injectors serviced and $$$$$$ more
Old 12-02-2014, 19:13   #13

Well I know a bit, but I can still learn. Tell me "forsale", this and other threads there seems to be a overwhelming desire to get injectors overhauled.
What is the reason you believe that now is the time.
Old 13-02-2014, 00:15   #14
cruiser

After having engine issues my last two trips I think its just time for a deep service call. in the shop and owners manual both it calls for injector service on an annual basis. Also getting the other annual service points that Ive neglected for too long now. ie... adjusting valve lash, clean engine. service accessories,starter and alternator (dab of grease in bushings and check wear), drain and clean fuel tank, zinc in heat exchanger and rod out, fluids and filters refresh, new rubber hoses.Ive often wondered how many actually follow the recommended service intervals.
Old 13-02-2014, 06:43   #15

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Your lucky at $200. that same thing for a certain popular red engine would be $960, or thereabouts.

Tags
fuel