Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2022, 01:04   #1

Boat: Westsail 32
Making sense of voltage drop test results

I recently performed some voltage drop tests on my engine (a Vetus M4.14, 33hp) since at times, even with new, fully charged batteries, it will sometimes hesitate to crank when the key is turned. The batteries are all new and in good shape.

I started to suspect that there was a significant voltage drop somewhere, robbing the starter of the power it needed to start cranking, so I did (most) of the probe tests that Nigel Calder recommends.

I attached a simplified diagram for reference to the points below.

A - B | ~1.3V <-- not good, should be less than < 0.7V according to Calder
A - E | ~ 0.6V
E - B | ~ 0.7V
B - C | ~ 0.05 V <-- good
F - G |~ 0.7V <-- not good, should also be less than 0.3V

for A - B, it's clear that the cumulative drop is occurring as the the sum of the two lengths of wire A - E + E - B most likely. Since I probed on the lugs, not the terminals in these particular tests, it shouldn't be a contact issue (contacts were clean though). The total run between A - B is probably about 15-20 feet, which according to the charts I've seen, the 1 AWG wire I'm using should be producing < 3% of a voltage drop at 100 amps draw for a 20' length (0.03 x 12.9V = 0.387V). But given that I'm seeing 1.3V, there's either 3-4x as much resistance in the length of the two wires, or I'm drawing 300+ amps of current, which seems unlikely?

Given that I have pretty high voltage drops on both the positive and negative side of the circuit, I'm inclined to think that this is indeed the source of my issue, but now it's just a question of how do I resolve it. Before I go to a larger wire gauge size , or re-locate the battery isolation switch panel closer to the battery/engine, should I just run some short lengths from the batteries tot he engine, and see if it solves the problem?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-11-25 at 12.44.30 AM.png
Views:	53
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	267909  
Ryban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2022, 03:56   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Making sense of voltage drop test results

Presumably these tests were done while cranking the engine with the engine stop engaged (i.e cranking but not starting) and the cranking speed was 'normal' rather than when it was ' hesitating'. It seems you were getting ~10V between D and G which should be good enough although not great. If the cranking hesitates at times, I would suspect an intermittent high resistance 'somewhere'. Perhaps across the contacts in the master switch (E - E1).

What I would like to know is the voltages between D-G and G-A while cranking (with engine stop engaged).

Also be aware of failed cable terminations hiding under insulation and heat shrink or tape etc. The cable lug shown looked OK until the heat shrink and insulation was cut away.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4737 (1).jpg
Views:	48
Size:	452.1 KB
ID:	267910  
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2022, 05:55   #3

Boat: Pearson 365

I had a similar problem when cranking, turned out to be a faulty neutral safety switch. You might try bypassing the switch (if present) and see if you get full power.
jpendoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2022, 06:14   #4

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

You can pur regular automotive jumper cables in parallel to your wiring to see if it improves things
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2022, 08:00   #5

Boat: Shannon 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryban View Post
The total run between A - B is probably about 15-20 feet, which according to the charts I've seen, the 1 AWG wire I'm using should be producing < 3% of a voltage drop at 100 amps draw for a 20' length...
Beware, calculations of voltage drop vs distance are based on round-trip (pos and negative) cable length. So if your run is 20ft, you should be selecting wire gauge based on a 40ft run.

According to my chart, for a 40ft run (erring on the high side since you said 15-20ft - 20' x 2 = 40'), and a <3% voltage drop, carrying 100amps, you need a 2/0 cable.

Note, I am not saying that is the cause of your problem.
jordanbigel is offline   Reply With Quote