Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 08:15   #1
cxz

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy Monsun 31
MD11C forward gear engagement

Hi all,

I have an MD11C that engages forward sometimes only. Driving reverse always works. When in forward gear I can see the coupling rotating ever so slightly. I believe it is an MSB gearbox.

This year I fixed the stuffing box with a new packing on the shaft as preventive maintenance, but it is a bit tight as I used 6mm cord and too hot when I drive. But I don't think that's the problem here.

I have checked the cables and I'm not entirely sure what to look for but they seem as I would expect and go through the full range of motion. However I did find one jacket has been cracked and putting my fingernail in showed some rust there inside. I should mention towards the end of last season the gear had been sticking a little whenever going into neutral although it doesn't seem to happen now.

I'm going to change the packing soon but it's no fun sailing around the harbor without forward gear. Any help appreciated.
cxz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:01   #2

Boat: Columbia 36
Re: MD11C forward gear engagement

Quick diagnosis is to disconnect the shift cable from the trans, then shift into gear with the lever on the trans. If that works, the problem is the cable or adjustment. If it still doesn't go into gear properly, the problem is internal. Most likely the clutch is slipping. I'm not familiar with that model but most have separate clutches for forward and reverse so one failing doesn't effect the other. And forward usually fails first.
capt jgw is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
gear, men