Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2020, 08:19   #1

Boat: 1977 Cape Dory 30K
MD7A reverse gear

Been having a problem with oil flowing out of the reverse gear and overflowing the Walter v-drive. V-drive is at Walter's now getting rebuilt. They told me a plug was missing under the spline coupling. . Now my question I hope someone can answer. Does the middle housing connecting the v-drive to the reverse gear need oil. One guy took his apart and said that section was dry. The volvo tech told me I could plug the hole at the bottom of the reverse gear face that oil pour out of with a freeze plug. He said that hole was to lubricate a volvo part/reduction gear and when Walter gear was adapted it was no longer necessary. Others have told me that the housing and gasket were blocking that hole but my gasket has the hole punched. Maybe I should leave it as is. I don't think it can hurt for oil to be in that section.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	reverse gear.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	434.5 KB
ID:	223490  
JD-MDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2020, 15:03   #2

Re: MD7A reverse gear

Leave it the way it is. Even though your gasket has a hole, there is no matching hole in the Walters adapter plate. However, oil will get into the first Walters adapter housing by flowing thru the aft VP bearing, and that’s OK.

Oil should not transfer from the VP box into the Walters box because there is an oil seal that the front of the U joint yoke rides in and there is the “welsh plug” located in the front yoke that stops the oil from flowing past the joint splines. ( the plug that is missing in your case)

You can see these seals/plugs by going online and looking at the parts breakdown for the RV10 with VP adapter.
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2020, 18:16   #3

Thanks Doug. I got the rebuilt v-drive back. Im having trouble getting it on the gearbox. Is there a trick Im afraid im gonna damage the spline. I will have to take it to the volvo shop. Please respond. Thank You
Old 18-09-2020, 18:52   #4

shouldn’t be a trick to the installation, but look carefully for a ding or burr on one of the splines. Is it the same Ujoint yoke that was there to begin with?
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2020, 19:59   #5

Thanks. I havent changed anything and i doubt Walters would put a different size. I tried putting the adapter on both sides nothing helps. Im sfraid im damaging the splines. I should take it in Maybe the boatyard mechanics. The volvo guys have a 4 week waiting list
Old 19-09-2020, 20:19   #6

I got it finally. Got a good file and worked on the splines a little. After a few attempts it fell in. Got everything togeather and cruised around the marina a little seems nice quieter and smoother. Ill take her out tomorrow Thank you so much for responding. Its encouraging and helps with confidence. These forums are great

Tags
gear