Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2019, 09:43   #16

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham
Re: Md7a volvo rising oil

While checking things out do a compression test. I have heard of worn rings allowing diesel to pass but only on old industrial engines. Would expect to see smoke when starting ascwell if that is the route
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2019, 18:16   #17

Boat: Columbia 9.6

I have verified the fuel pump and every thing looks good. So far i think the the problem was me , i didnt always close the the fuel valve when i stoped the engine. Now i close it and let motor run 10 -30 sec before i shut it off and my oil stays the same . i will purchase electric fuel pump in case the mechanical goes bad.

The advise vas given by my friend because the fuel tank is higher then my motor ,he said that injectors can leak if there is pressure.
Pavel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2019, 18:29   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel24 View Post
I have verified the fuel pump and every thing looks good. So far i think the the problem was me , i didnt always close the the fuel valve when i stoped the engine. Now i close it and let motor run 10 -30 sec before i shut it off and my oil stays the same . i will purchase electric fuel pump in case the mechanical goes bad.

The advise vas given by my friend because the fuel tank is higher then my motor ,he said that injectors can leak if there is pressure.

Never seen that before. Farm tractors often have the tank higher.
But if it’s happening, that’s hard to argue.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2019, 18:31   #19
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

I've had tanks higher than engine too without this happening... but thanks for posting this fix. always helpful to hear what worked
Old 27-10-2019, 21:34   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

If your injectors are leaking from a gravity feed unless your tank is 300ft high they are knackered & need immediate servicing.
However I very much doubt its them. Still if your method works you may be fine with that
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2019, 12:09   #21

Hmm i will keep close look on the oil, so far it looks good and didnt rise (at least what i observed this far). The tank is a little bit higher.
Old 12-11-2019, 15:00   #22

After 100 hours of use (or close ), closing the valve few seconds before turning off the motor still works and the oil level doesnt rise.
Old 12-11-2019, 16:00   #23
Marine Service Provider

Thanks for posting back your results.
. Good that it's solved your problem but I think, if it is leaking thru the injector,you need to service them. Far more likely it's leaking thru the lift pump.
The injectors dont open till they reach over 2000 psi approx. When a diesel tech pop-tests them, if they drip before the designed opening pressure, they will replace the nozzles.
Personally I would rebuild the lift pump anyway but you may be happy with your fix. If you didnt have to add oil during/after 100 hrs on that old engine I'd suggest it is still getting diesel in it which is not ideal. Without knowing your engine I'd guess somewhere around 300-500cc oil use for 100 hrs would be about the ballpark
Your engine, your choice
Old 12-11-2019, 16:33   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compass790 View Post
Thanks for posting back your results.
. Good that it's solved your problem but I think, if it is leaking thru the injector,you need to service them. Far more likely it's leaking thru the lift pump.
The injectors dont open till they reach over 2000 psi approx. When a diesel tech pop-tests them, if they drip before the designed opening pressure, they will replace the nozzles.
Personally I would rebuild the lift pump anyway but you may be happy with your fix. If you didnt have to add oil during/after 100 hrs on that old engine I'd suggest it is still getting diesel in it which is not ideal. Without knowing your engine I'd guess somewhere around 300-500cc oil use for 100 hrs would be about the ballpark
Your engine, your choice
What you are saying is i better switch my mecanical fuel pump by electrical ? ( i didnt find rebild kit , from what i understand they dont make them for some time .. )
Old 12-11-2019, 16:43   #25
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel24 View Post
What you are saying is i better switch my mecanical fuel pump by electrical ? ( i didnt find rebild kit , from what i understand they dont make them for some time .. )
I would try the electrical fuel pump & see if your engine begins to use oil. You can rig it up temporarily & see what happens. What you want to avoid is diesel diluting your engine oil. If you aren't using any oil on an old diesel engine it is likely something else is getting into the sump.

Try a diesel injection shop for your lift pump parts if you want to repair that.
Old 12-11-2019, 16:54   #26

Boat: Merritt Walters steel cutter

I went down this road with a Faryman 2 cyl. Diaphram, injector seals, injector dripping etc. At the end of the day it was blowby in the cylinders. I re-honed the cylinders and all was well.
wguinon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 17:10   #27
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by wguinon View Post
I went down this road with a Faryman 2 cyl. Diaphram, injector seals, injector dripping etc. At the end of the day it was blowby in the cylinders. I re-honed the cylinders and all was well.
That sounds wierd. Did you use heaps of oil when you had all that blowby?
We certainly used a lot of oil when we had heaps of blowby before it had a rebuild
Old 13-11-2019, 14:26   #28

Boat: Merritt Walters steel cutter

We didn't so much use oil but experienced an eruption out of the dipstick hole when the oil level rose to a critical level.
wguinon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil, volvo