Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2017, 10:30   #1

merc 233 raw water circ pump leaking - DIY seal repl

Hi all - my 74 mercruiser 233 has quite alot of sea water coming out the weep hole, im having slight overheating issues running 3/4 where temps creep up slowly and my risers seem a bit hotter to the touch than they shd be -

Im looking at replacing whatever is worn (shaft/seal?) - my uncle in law has a machine shop have access to a press.

heres is the exploded view:

parts im considering are 12,13 and 16.. possibly shaft if its worn -

ive asked a few of the "just go buy a new one crowd" and they all chime the same bell so looking for a cheaper fix - thanks.
fstarocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 16:52   #2

Boat: Lancer 44 Motor Sailer
Re: merc 233 raw water circ pump leaking - DIY seal repl

When was the impeller last changed? #12 looks like the seals, 13 looks like the bearings.
Takes 2 of them. #16 I can't make out from the photo. This looks very much like the pump on my 1988 Sea Ray weekender with 454 Bravo. Mine is direct cooled (no heat exchanger) I did my pump 2 years ago and the hardest part was getting the damned thing off the bottom of the motor. It's a plastic housing (cheap) but built like any other pump. Not hard to do just be careful with cheap crappy housing and cover.
Diesel Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 17:05   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Talk to the folks at Depco about what you need. Seals for sure if the weep hole is dripping. I think Jabsco makes a bronze copy of that pump that might cost less than the original equipment Mercruiser.
http://www.depcopump.com/catalogs/ol...log109/128.pdf

If you want to buy the Jabsco one, give Victor at my old company, Hopkins Carter, a call. He may be able to save you a few bucks.
Old 12-05-2017, 17:10   #4

hi thanks - had mine off 2 months back, just unbolts - all steel. Well will see how to go about pressing things off. Whats the most likely cause of the leak?
Old 12-05-2017, 20:18   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstarocka View Post
hi thanks - had mine off 2 months back, just unbolts - all steel. Well will see how to go about pressing things off. Whats the most likely cause of the leak?
You've already figured it out. The inner seal is worn out and possibly the shaft as well. The weep hole is there to prevent water from getting into the engine if the inner seal leaks.

While you've got it apart, replace the impeller and and outer seal.

Look for wear on part numbers 2, 8, and 10. Replace as necessary. Wear on those parts will reduce the pumping capacity. If 2 is worn you may be able to flip it over and use the other side. I'm not sure about that as I've never worked on that exact pump.
Old 13-05-2017, 06:43   #6

Great thanks yeah my first attempt.
Old 24-05-2017, 17:55   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
While you've got it apart, replace the impeller and and outer seal.
Hi - so took pump off today and under closer inspection it seems the leak was on the front side against the pump itself, not on the weep hole side, no signs of leaks anywhere else - like the gasket failed despite me cleaning it up and using a light skin of permatex on the old cast iron -

I laid a straight edge on both side and theyre very flast - couldnt get a 15 thou feeler in there, totally flat..

what could i try, some shellac perhaps?

here are pics:

Weep hole side - no signs of a leak past gasket. There is no seal here at all, just the block and stainless wear/sandwich plate

Tags
raw water, water