Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2011, 06:38   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400
Mercury 6 HP 2 Stroke stalling out...

The engine kept stalling out after a few minutes of operating or after a few seconds of wide open throttle. It would restart with same result. I thought I had a clogged filter, bad gas or needed a new fuel hose and bulb.
The first thing I did was to try another fuel tank and line. Fortunately the engine ran tip top on this new tank and line so it ruled out an internal filter issue.
The second and least expensive solution was to change out the gas. Did this to no effect.
The third and final link was to change out the bulb and fuel line. Bingo! Solved the problem.
Performed autopsy on the old bulb and fuel line and found it had a severe plaquing issue. About a 1/4 to 1/2 a cup of amber like material was accumulating in the line and bulb. I am assuming this is something to do with the ethanol now in our US gas.
Prventative solution is to add Starbrite fuel additive or buy gas without ethanol.

Anyway thought I would share since I have heard of this happeneing to others who have tried pricier fix's to no avail.
Jacob
jacob30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 06:48   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Re: Mercury 6 HP 2 Stroke stalling out...

Spent two weeks in the Bahamas fooling around with my Yamaha 15 and Honda 2000. Problems with both and finally realized it was due to bad gas. The gas was only a couple of months old bought in Miami. Ethanol!

The good thing is I learnt how to completely strip a Honda EU2000i.
Old 23-06-2011, 07:33   #3
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Re: Mercury 6 HP 2 Stroke stalling out...

I've had similar carb problems on my motorcycle due to ethanol. I was putting stabilizer in but with no success. When I took it in last time, the mechanic asked if I was using red or blue stabilizer. I expressed confusion and he explained that the blue stabilizer (made by Starbrite in this case) was designed for dealing with ethanol, the red just prevented varnish formation I guess.

No problems since. So those of us inflicted with ethanol might want to check their stabilizer.

Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2 stroke, mercury