Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2017, 03:55   #16

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Mississippi River Trip

Another classic read: Life on The Mississippi by Mark Twain.

You can download it from Google Books.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2017, 05:25   #17

Mississippi River Trip

I just did this trip from Catoosa OK to Baton Rouge and really enjoyed it. I bought a 26 MacGregor with an 8hp and only stopped for fuel in Little Rock. So 800 miles ish on 50 gallons or so if I remember right. I used the shallow draft and retractable board so I could beach it and not be limited on where I could park for the night. Not to mention there aren’t many places that can accommodate a keeled sailboat trailer/extension application. When I got my boat out we used an old ferry landing. If I was in my 27 Catalina there’s no way I could’ve done that. I loved that Mac for that trip. You can reach out to me if you’d like and I can tell you all I know about the lower Mississippi and the trip in general.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6853.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	429.0 KB
ID:	156868Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6415.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	421.3 KB
ID:	156870
The Good Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2017, 07:22   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Good Life View Post
I just did this trip from Catoosa OK to Baton Rouge and really enjoyed it. I bought a 26 MacGregor with an 8hp and only stopped for fuel in Little Rock. So 800 miles ish on 50 gallons or so if I remember right. I used the shallow draft and retractable board so I could beach it and not be limited on where I could park for the night. Not to mention there aren’t many places that can accommodate a keeled sailboat trailer/extension application. When I got my boat out we used an old ferry landing. If I was in my 27 Catalina there’s no way I could’ve done that. I loved that Mac for that trip. You can reach out to me if you’d like and I can tell you all I know about the lower Mississippi and the trip in general.Attachment 156868Attachment 156870
Why not post it here, so all can benefit?
Old 29-09-2017, 08:01   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker View Post
Thanks Drew, So how long of a boat would I need lets say with a beam of 8' and still being pushed by 10 hp motor that's not working that hard. Because I doing this solo I was trying to keep the boat smaller and lighter. Thanks again (biker)
The formula for max hull speed is square root of length at waterline x 1.35

That's speed over the water, the MS river current is going to move you faster over the ground for a goodly part of the trip.

Good rule of thumb for a motor is 2 hp per 1,000 lbs. displacement (weight of boat). Round up. The motor won't have to work very hard and modern 4 strokes are very efficient. If the motor is sized right for what you're contemplating, you shouldn't burn a half gallon per hour near hull speed.

Someone's posted about a MacGregor up thread. Those boats are designed for semi-displacement operation and rise up onto the surface under power. The engines are more like 10 horses per 1,000 pounds, way more expensive to buy and fuel than what you'd need for a traditional displacement hull sailboat. You'd go fast, though, if you can afford it.
Drew13440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2017, 08:26   #20

Boat: Oday Mariner 19 , Four Winns Marquis 16 OB, Kingfisher III
Send a message via Skype™ to Colin A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew13440 View Post
The formula for max hull speed is square root of length at waterline x 1.35

That's speed over the water, the MS river current is going to move you faster over the ground for a goodly part of the trip.

Good rule of thumb for a motor is 2 hp per 1,000 lbs. displacement (weight of boat). Round up. The motor won't have to work very hard and modern 4 strokes are very efficient. If the motor is sized right for what you're contemplating, you shouldn't burn a half gallon per hour near hull speed.

Someone's posted about a MacGregor up thread. Those boats are designed for semi-displacement operation and rise up onto the surface under power. The engines are more like 10 horses per 1,000 pounds, way more expensive to buy and fuel than what you'd need for a traditional displacement hull sailboat. You'd go fast, though, if you can afford it.
Yep what he said. Hull form and displacement also play a bit into hull speed. There is a point where a displacement hull can surpass hull speed but it's not usually very efficient.
Gerr has a formula that takes more variables into account talked about here.
http://www.wavetrain.net/boats-a-gea...ate-hull-speed
Old 29-09-2017, 08:43   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew13440 View Post
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Mac made a number of different boats. The one posted about was not one of those speed demons.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2017, 08:45   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Another classic read: Life on The Mississippi by Mark Twain.

You can download it from Google Books.
Great story. Somewhat early for outboard engines and recreational sailboats, though. Even before plastic! Take that, Mrs. Robinson...
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2017, 09:40   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Great story. Somewhat early for outboard engines and recreational sailboats, though. Even before plastic! Take that, Mrs. Robinson...
Yes, a classic story. I re-read it last year. Having grown up on the River it was interesting to read his historic account of places I knew from more recent times.
Old 29-09-2017, 10:06   #24

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker View Post
Was that an inboard motor. Thanks for your post.
Biker

Yes it was a inboard, a 2 cylinder I believe. It's been a few years since I saw it but it impressed me as a economical way to cruise in reasonable comfort. A lot of the people heading south with rafts and smaller boats camp overnight on sandbars. Doing their cooking with camp stoves using coolers they get by without having a galley, a lot of them are pretty barebones type of boat. On the other end of the scale a lot of large yachts 60' to 125' come through with hired crews heading north in the spring and back south in the fall.
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2017, 22:34   #25

Good Life, thanks for the information, sounds like you had a great time. I would like to ask about your 8hp kind and 2 or 4 cycle. Also did you do the trip solo? I thought about the Mac 26 for several reasons but I'm doing this solo and didn't think I could handle that large of boat.
River Cruiser, great information not sure what to look for now. I like the idea of a keel less boat and I like a smaller boat because it would be easier for me to handle
Thanks Everyone interesting reading.
Biker
biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2017, 23:14   #26

4stroke merc. If I had it to do over again I would’ve had one with an alternator probably. So what I did was buy a small generac 800-900 generator that burned about a gallon or two a day (with it at the front of the boat I couldn’t even really here it with the radio and motor on) to keep battery charged for lights all night and my dorm style fridge and inverter all good. That boat isn’t going to be any more difficult to handle than a 22 in my opinion. Keep in mind you are going to have tons of stuff that you are going to have to put somewhere. I did the first leg (10 days) solo and the second leg with a retired guy from our local sailing club. I’m actually tossing around the idea of selling it if your interested. It’s still on the trailer at a friends in Baton Rouge waiting to go back in and head to Florida. I’m just not sure when I’m actually going to be able to do it.
Old 30-09-2017, 20:20   #27

Good Life, Thanks for all your help. I'm a retired guy living on a fixed income but if you have an amount in mind for you Mac 26 tell me about the boat and what you would include. I was looking at making an investment in this trip but the Mac's that I have seen on the internet were newer and probably out of my price range.
Thanks again for all you help.
Biker
Old 01-10-2017, 00:51   #28

Mississippi River Trip

Probably 5500 This one is an 89 if I remember right with 2012 ish merc 8hp. I would include about everything that I rigged up for the trip. It has led lights inside, newer interior, new fridge, new inverter, trailer has new paint, new bunks, new carpet, new tires, boat cover. Extra tiller, extra rudder, pop top enclosure, roller furler, extra sails, new bluetooth radio, new speakers, 2 burner alcohol stove, there’s probably lots that I’m leaving out. I’m confident that a guy couldn’t find a nicer boat with as nice 4stroke and as nice trailer that is ready to go rigged out for that money. If you’re interested we can talk more or if not I’ll still answer any question you have. I really haven’t thought about selling it until this post. And after looking I think the interior pics are of the older cushion covers. I just used the few pics I had on my phone. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5298.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	269.6 KB
ID:	156974Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5299.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	203.0 KB
ID:	156975Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5300.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	217.0 KB
ID:	156976Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6026.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	156977Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6083.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	315.4 KB
ID:	156978 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6018.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	440.8 KB
ID:	156973
Old 02-10-2017, 18:00   #29

Good Life, Sorry posted soon after yours and I'm not sure what happened.
Could you send me an email with your contact information.
Thanks
biker
butch.rebman@gmail.com
Old 02-10-2017, 18:11   #30

Good Life, I don't know how to get in touch with you. I didn't know until now that my reply were not getting posted. I'll keep working now that I know.
Thanks
Biker

Tags
mississippi