Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2022, 04:05   #1

Moeller mechanical fuel gauge

I have (2) 25 gallon stainless tanks connected by a hose. There's no gauge and no marked dipstick. The tank looks accessible so I thought I'd put a Moeller mechanical gauge. Biggest worry is how to cut a 2" diameter hole in the top of the tank to drop in the Moeller. How should one go about this without sending bits and shavings of stainless fluttering into the tank?
Russian007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2022, 05:42   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Moeller mechanical fuel gauge

In all likelihood, you don't. But, you have (should have) plenty of protection from any that get there. Your pick-up outlet is not quite on the bottom, and you likely have two filters before your engine. Steel shavings are not going by them.

If you have visial access to the side of the tank, consider a sight gauge rather than a mechanical gauge. Mechanical gauges are not exactly precision measurers of fuel remaining, while a sight gauge will allow you to mark number of gallons/liters remaining as you fill an empty tank.

https://www.mcmaster.com/sight-gauges/
Old 21-03-2022, 05:57   #3

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

I agree that for at-tank monitoring, a sight tube is best on a diesel tank. Not an option for gas, however. Also, if drilling a big enough hole for a gauge in the top, I wouldn't put in a mechanical one that requires me to look at the tank. I'd put in a sender for a gauge that can be placed somewhere easily visible while motoring.

A sight gauge is the most accurate thing, but if a good quality sender is placed in a good spot in the tank it should be accurate enough. Just from my dash gauges and knowing how they behave, I can almost always estimate within 10 gallons of what we'll take at the fuel dock for a 200 - 300 gallon fill. Plenty of times I've been within 5 gallons of my estimate (and occasionally as close as within a gallon, but I figure that's just luck).
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2022, 10:41   #4

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

Consider a "TankTender" Only requires a small hole in the top of the tank, can handle several tanks (including water, fuel and waste) with one setup. Perhaps a bit more expensive than other solutions, but spot-on accurate and easy to use.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2022, 13:45   #5

Boat: Sceptre 41

What about a Gobius? https://www.gobius.se/en/products/

No holes required.
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2022, 13:46   #6

Unhappy Re: Moeller mechanical fuel gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamhass View Post
Consider a "TankTender" Only requires a small hole in the top of the tank, can handle several tanks (including water, fuel and waste) with one setup. Perhaps a bit more expensive than other solutions, but spot-on accurate and easy to use.
Love those but with shipping and tax I'm looking at about a grand. Way out of the budget.
Old 21-03-2022, 17:48   #7

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian007 View Post
Love those but with shipping and tax I'm looking at about a grand. Way out of the budget.
Same with the Gobius 1, for fuel sensor.
Is mounted on the outside of the Tank

Just the sensor 2 different gauge options at $275 each.
Other costs as well, about $500
Create a small 1" hole and stick your tank.
Boatyarddog
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2022, 22:09   #8

Anyone here tried a sight tube on the crossover line?
Old 21-03-2022, 23:22   #9

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian007 View Post

Ofcourse not marine specific priced devices are available in the industrial market such as Afriso Unitel Pneumatic Tank Gauge, that could interest you.

https://fuelminder.biz/afriso-gauge/Afriso-Unitel.html
OldGreyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2022, 04:42   #10

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Even for marine specific gauges, the tank tender and such are insanely expensive. A good quality (under $100) sender and a decent gauge (also under $100) will do the job fine. Just avoid the swing arm float type senders, they're less than great. The sliding float senders from KUS are well regarded and inexpensive, so that would be my pick.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2022, 15:03   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGreyB View Post
Ofcourse not marine specific priced devices are available in the industrial market such as Afriso Unitel Pneumatic Tank Gauge, that could interest you.

https://fuelminder.biz/afriso-gauge/Afriso-Unitel.html
I called them today, they've got a legit guru there named "Dave", actual engineer. Got a ton of info from him. Remarkable how he was able to talk me through the whole installation in 10 minutes. Highly recommend them. He has several solutions, for boats he recommends a unit called the Ktech Midget 277 which is essentially the Hershey 01-- which I assume isn't a candy bar. He thinks it's more suitable for boats than the Afriso. Heavier duty. Set you back about 4 bills. https://fuelminder.biz/ktech/levelometer.html
Old 22-03-2022, 23:01   #12

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

There are also resistive senders. No moving parts, small hole and some you can cut to your exact length and others have a correction feature so if you tank slopes inward and downward 1/2 full will not be in the middle of the tank. These units get programmed so when you see 1/4 tank, you know it is 1/4 tank.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, fuel, mechanic