Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2024, 11:51   #1

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Morse Cable Control Issue

Hi guys (and gals)

ok here's my problem. I have a Jeaneau Sun Fast 40.3 and it has a side mount Morse cable control.

I don't know if I'm just getting old and senile or if this is a real problem

With the engine stopped when I try to move the lever from neutral to forward or neutral to reverse, it will only go into forward, then back to neutral - it won't continue to reverse.

The same is true if I move it from neutral to reverse. It will go back to neutral, but won't continue to forward.

I have to start the engine to get it to go.
The other issue (or part of the same issue) is that the little red button that can be pushed in to disengage the gearbox allowing me to rev the engine without the boat moving, won't go in unless I start the engine. As soon as I've started the engine, the button goes in without an issue and the control lever can be moved from forward to reverse or from reverse to forward without issue

My problem is that neither my wife nor I can remember if we have ever been able to push the little red button in without starting the engine (why would we?). Nor can we remember if we have ever tried to move the lever from reverse to forward or forward to reverse without starting the engine

So- am I just getting old and senile? Or is this an issue I need to address and fix?

If it needs fixing - Anyone have an idea of what needs to be done?

The lever on the gearbox and the lever on the throttle both seem to be fine and move without any hinderance.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is online now   Reply With Quote