Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2014, 20:05   #1

Morse gear barely shifts

Hi,
My new-to-me boat came very hard to shift into gear from the controls. The control is a Morse MT3 and the gearbox is Hurth 50.
Upon close examination, it seemed that the control cable was torn at the mount point to the transmission. I was able to obtain a new cable and connect it. However, that did not fix the problem and in fact it is now worse.
I tried all of the following:
- Disconnected from the gearbox and shifted by hand. Seems to shift with little effort.
- Shift from the Morse control without connecting to tramission works very smoothly (I also greased all of the Morse control while I was at it).
- I tried both settings on the Hurth (it has two notches to connect the Control cable - one notes 30mm range and the other 35mm range).
- I also tried adjusting the Morse control range.
- I played around with the little adjustments that thread at the ends of the cable and still got nowhere.
- I also tried adjusting the angle of the shift lever on the Hurth to get it to point at a 90 degree angle to the control cable while in Neutral.
One thought was that the torn cable was a symptom and not the root cause, but since shifting by hand seems OK, I really don't know.
The gearbox was low on oil when I got it so I suspected something with the transmission. How easy is it supposed to be to shift the Hurth 50 by hand? It seems to shift with little effort.
Any ideas are welcome. I have run out of ideas!
Patcheloupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2014, 20:16   #2

Boat: PETERSON 44
Re: Morse gear barely shifts

Maybe the length is wrong. Seems like you did well and checked the obvious. Makes me think the cable is being twisted hard . Maybe it is not fastened right at the shift points. Or it's bent hard to make the alignment .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2014, 20:19   #3

The replacement cable was indeed a bit longer. I have put in 3 loops of ~1 foot diameter to handle the excess. Can that be an issue? Again, when disconnected from the gearbox it moves fine.
The angle of the attachment to the gearbox is set since it is attached with a flange to the groove on the cable itself.
Patcheloupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2014, 21:09   #4

Boat: Luger, Southwind, 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patcheloupe View Post
I have put in 3 loops of ~1 foot diameter to handle the excess. Can that be an issue? Again, when disconnected from the gearbox it moves fine.
The angle of the attachment to the gearbox is set.
It's been my experience, that to much cable is a bad thing. An appropriate length reduces resistance. Any bend will be a source of friction. Can you return the cable for a shorter one?
If not can you shorten the cable at either end? Universal cables can usually be shortened as well as their sheath and an appropriate end crimped on. All the best. :thumbup:
lonesoldier0408 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gear