Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2023, 09:06   #1

Motor does not Start (OM636)

Hi Everyone,

Help appreciated on this one please. As recorded on https://photos.app.goo.gl/ygG5ZzwDyKAj5cyH8 , my motor does no longer start. A bit of context around that, the motor is below deck and got flooded. I initially did not notice and tried to start the boat for a while, it almost started, then I got the smell of burned smoke. I opened the deck only to witness the motor half drowned in a mix of water and also its own motor oil. I removed all the water and drained also the water and oil from the oil carter and put in new fresh oil. Now the motor does not start and I get smoke coming out of the overheating black mass cable https://photos.app.goo.gl/EVwZ4td6oTW9k26H7.

If anyone has any suggestion please, most welcome, thank you!
KapteinMalik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 11:22   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: Motor does not Start (OM636)

"overheating black mass cable" ... I have no idea what this is.
Old 12-10-2023, 12:28   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Mariner 39

Sorry for your misfortune. I think people will need more details to help.

What type of boat?
What type of engine?
Is that "black mass cable" a ground wire? It sort of looks like it, but I cannot tell for sure from the video. Is it smoking while you are trying to start the engine?

It sounds like your engine was at least partially under water when you tried to start it, right? Can you explain why there was also engine oil outside the engine?
Did water also get inside the engine?
JoeRobertJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 12:28   #4

Thanks all for your swift replies.

The cable is a a big thick cable connected to the "-" of the battery.
The engine is a OM636 mercedes. The boat is a 9m yacht.

Yes indeed, the engine was half under water/oil when I tried to start it. The starter was definitely under, I think maybe I should look more into that one. The alternator was above water. The water got inside the engine, inside the oil carter and pushed the oil out.
Old 12-10-2023, 12:32   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KapteinMalik View Post
A big thick cable connected to the "-" of the battery
It looks like it is smoking because the connection is bad. Being submerged may have corroded the connection.
Old 12-10-2023, 12:34   #6

Yes I will look again into the connections and the starter. I haven't cleaned any of that, just got the water/oil out of the boat a let it dry. I think there are damaged connections and/or damaged starter, but perhaps someone else also has other/different suggestions as well
Old 12-10-2023, 12:45   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Since your starter was submerged, I would definitely take that apart for a thorough cleaning of both the motor and the solenoid.

And I would check and clean all electrical connections, replacing any that are in poor condition.

As for the water inside the engine, I have heard that may be solved with a few oil changes, but I don't have personal experience with that.
Old 12-10-2023, 13:07   #8

Thanks Joe. Yes I'll get that starter for a thorough inspection and all the electrical connections as well. I've also heard exactly the same about doing mulitple oil changes to clean the water out and so that's what I've done already yes.
Old 12-10-2023, 13:51   #9

Any thoughts on how so much water flooded your boat?I would suggest that should be your primary concern, not how to get a 50 year old engine back to life. Your incident really highlights the importance of doing pre startup and post shutdown checks and inspections.
Is the boat in fresh water or seawater? Europe or US...... yes, this is important. If it’s in salt water, not only is the crank case flooded, so is the gearbox and flywheel housing and everything goes to hell far more rapidly than with fresh water. Your location on the planet dictates the availability of spare parts and expertise, in Europe an ancient Mercedes diesel is not unheard of and there’s probably an abundance of mechanics who could quickly save your engine...... and time is of the essence.
skipperpete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2023, 10:41   #10

Thanks SkipperPete. Perhaps 2 m3 of water. Ever since that incident, the boat is at bay and I've been monitoring and there's hardly any water filling it up although it's been raining a lot. The boat has been taken out of the water just a couple of month ago for painting the under water hull. https://photos.app.goo.gl/gSaAWZPU9fh2cRtS9. The boat is in Amsterdam, so mostly fresh waters, but perhaps a mix with salty.

Tags
motor