Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2017, 06:53   #1

Mounting an outboard

I've decided to replace my inboard OMC sail drive with an outboard engine. I'm attempting to mount a 15hp Honda 4 stroke long shaft to the back of my 25' Buccaneer (BUCCANEER 250 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com).

I'll admit, I'm quite new to the sailing community.

The transom of the Buccaneer not perpendicular to the waterline as she lays. My concern and question is what outboard motor mounting system is best for my vessel?
tgardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 08:26   #2

Re: Mounting an outboard

Probably best to have a custom bracket made up, saying that there are plenty of store bought supports that would fit,

The outboard has adjustments for the trim so the angle of your transom shouldn't present any issues, be sure you get the outboard engine low enough so the propeller is under the water at the correct depth,

Cheers Steve
Captsteve53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 08:29   #3

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgardy View Post
I've decided to replace my inboard OMC sail drive with an outboard engine. I'm attempting to mount a 15hp Honda 4 stroke long shaft to the back of my 25' Buccaneer (BUCCANEER 250 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com).

I'll admit, I'm quite new to the sailing community.

The transom of the Buccaneer not perpendicular to the waterline as she lays. My concern and question is what outboard motor mounting system is best for my vessel?
You may have to build a wedge (or have one built) to go between the motor and the outboard bracket.

I have a 5 hp 4 stroke on my 6600# Bristol 27. You can see a bit of the wedge I have in the picture.

If I had it to do over I'd by the heavy duty adjustable Garelick outboard bracket. I have a midrange adjustable bracket with maybe 14" of range.

I also have a couple sawed off 2 x 4 sections between the bracket pad and the bracket to get the engine further away from the boat so I can raise it.

The bracket is on the third notch out of 4 down in that picture with the boat on the lift.

Btw, the lighter the outboard the easier it is to move around for maintenance and storage. I can lean over and take my 5 hp off and mount it on the stern railing where the PO used to keep his dinghy outboard. Mine weighs about 57lbs
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01952.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	434.7 KB
ID:	154269   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01944.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	423.6 KB
ID:	154270  

Click image for larger version

Name:	WD.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	154271   Click image for larger version

Name:	B27.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	154272  

thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 08:39   #4

Outboard Brackets

Outboard Motor Brackets | Fixed-Mount 4-Stroke & Lightweight

https://www.westmarine.com/outboard-...ckets-carriers

https://www.chmarine.com/acatalog/ou...-brackets.html
Captsteve53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 08:50   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, tgardy.

See Fig. 6: http://garelick.com/files/12.109.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 09:28   #6

Boat: Mirage 27 in Toronto; Wright 10 in Auckland

What's the problem with the saildrive?

Connemara
Connemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 14:11   #7

This is great information. Unfortunately, the pdf in the link is perhaps not the latest and greatest. I was on the Garelick website and it has omitted "or use an EEZ-IN Adjustable Angle Bracket Model 71045". Looks like I may have to make one. Any ideas on how this can be accomplished?
Old 17-08-2017, 14:13   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
You may have to build a wedge (or have one built) to go between the motor and the outboard bracket.

I have a 5 hp 4 stroke on my 6600# Bristol 27. You can see a bit of the wedge I have in the picture.

If I had it to do over I'd by the heavy duty adjustable Garelick outboard bracket. I have a midrange adjustable bracket with maybe 14" of range.

I also have a couple sawed off 2 x 4 sections between the bracket pad and the bracket to get the engine further away from the boat so I can raise it.

The bracket is on the third notch out of 4 down in that picture with the boat on the lift.

Btw, the lighter the outboard the easier it is to move around for maintenance and storage. I can lean over and take my 5 hp off and mount it on the stern railing where the PO used to keep his dinghy outboard. Mine weighs about 57lbs
Any idea on how to build a wedge and what material to use?
Thanks,
Old 17-08-2017, 14:15   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connemara View Post
What's the problem with the saildrive?

Connemara
We had a mechanic look at it and it is taking on water in the lower cylinder. The engine is over 30 years old, time to move on.
Old 17-08-2017, 14:29   #10

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Any idea on how to build a wedge and what material to use?
Thanks,
Sorry, I didn't build it. I had the yard guy build one while I worked on other projects. This in 2011.

My boat had been on the hard for 5 years unattended
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 14:49   #11

Just buy a good strong bracket that will raise and lower. Several out there. I kind of like the aluminum ones. Worth their weight in gold.
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-...1?recordNum=14

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 17:23   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Why would one already available and rated for up to a 20 horsepower outboard not work? Like CptSteve linked in post 4?

There is need to reinvent the wheel unless I am missing something here.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 19:41   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Why would one already available and rated for up to a 20 horsepower outboard not work? Like CptSteve linked in post 4?

There is need to reinvent the wheel unless I am missing something here.
An outboard mount will work like the one in CptSteve's post, whether it is a Panther or Garelick. Unfortunately, the TH marine transom wedge only ships to the US.

Do you believe I'll need a transom wedge if a Garelick or Panther mount is used like the ones in the links below?

Garelick - https://www.amazon.ca/Garelick-Eez-7...acket+4+stroke

Panther SKU# 550407AL - Outboard Motor Brackets | Fixed-Mount 4-Stroke & Lightweight
Old 18-08-2017, 05:22   #14

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Quote:
An outboard mount will work like the one in CptSteve's post, whether it is a Panther or Garelick. Unfortunately, the TH marine transom wedge only ships to the US.

Do you believe I'll need a transom wedge if a Garelick or Panther mount is used like the ones in the links below?

Garelick - https://www.amazon.ca/Garelick-Eez-7...acket+4+stroke

Panther SKU# 550407AL - Outboard Motor Brackets | Fixed-Mount 4-Stroke & Lightweight

Yes, you will. Unfortunately your transom inclines forward; all the mounts that are adjustable for highly raked transoms (that I could find at any rate) are for transoms that incline aft.

Also, these are both rated for 2 stroke rather than 4 stroke service and 115 lbs is the maximum weight, which is just what the 15 Honda 4 comes in at.

Your transom rake appears to be about 20 degrees from perpendicular, so it might be easier to split the difference between the two mounting surfaces; fabricate or machine the existing motor mounting pad to the correct 'wedge' angle, and make a corresponding 'wedge' for the transom mounting side.

A 'wedge' can be fabricated from almost anything, from stacks of stainless washers, bolts and sealant, to engineering plastic, laminated wood, fiberglass, aluminum or stainless steel, your budget and peace of mind are likely to be the deciding factors...

Don't forget that the 'wedge', as well as the bracket itself, will position the motor much farther back, so at least throttle and shifting remote controls will likely be necessary, and electric starting would certainly be a plus...though now we're talking about throttle, shift, and electrical cables as well...

As usual, everything's a compromise.
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2017, 05:45   #15

Boat: Lots of boats.

Marinetech (Panther) 55-0416 Marine 4 - Stroke Bracket. Paid $300 on Amazon and this thing is a beast. People in the product reviews use it with 20 HP motors without issue.

Will mention that the outboard you select can make your motoring much more pleasant. I suggest one with remote controls. Not needing to reach down to the motor for throttle and shift controls is golden!
hsi88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outboard