Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2011, 08:39   #1

Boat: Morgan 35
Mounting the Outboard ?

As I type this I know that this is probably a stupid question with an obvious answer, but...

I have an outboard that is currently sitting on the floor of my main cabin. I would like to mount it on the stern ( up on the rail/lifelines actually), as I have seen other boats with such a configuration. I was planning on using the boom to lift the engine so I don't drop it into the drink. But in my folly I just realized that the boom doesn't extend past the stern, so no luck there.

How does everyone else do this? 3x per day gym sessions to make sure I can lift the engine without dropping it?
flatlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:42   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,
Re: Mounting the outboard?

after debating this same question on this CF , we were advised to use halyard and winch.. and it works perfectly for us.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:02   #3

But if I use a halyard and a winch, won't it be hoisted right up alongside the mast? Then if I pull the engine over to the stern and loose hold of it I'll have a 100 lb pendulum? I must be envisioning this incorrectly.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:20   #4

Boat: Carter offshore 35
Re: Mounting the Outboard ?

How big is this outboard? My 8hp only weighs 59lb. I mounted mine on the transom with one of those spring brackets to get it closer to the dink. Also serves as an aux. engine if the diesel failed. Haven't had to try that yet and hope I never do. Tie a line on it just long enough to get it on the dink and if you should loose it it won't go to far.
DeborahLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:26   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
But if I use a halyard and a winch, won't it be hoisted right up alongside the mast? Then if I pull the engine over to the stern and loose hold of it I'll have a 100 lb pendulum? I must be envisioning this incorrectly.
Probably your engine is bigger and heavier!!
ours is a 6hp at around 50lbs
we have no problem driving it alongside from mast to stern and install on the sternpost.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:54   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

I assume you are a one-person operation which makes it a bit more difficult but still very doable. If your engine weighs that much aren't you concerned that your pushpit won't handle the weight? My outboard weighs about 40lbs and I can one hand it so it isn't a problem. Johnson 4hp 2 cycle.
Anyway, the halyard works pretty well if you have enough length to it to slack off while you are walking back to your stern. If you don't have enough length to do that then you might want to tie a tag line on the end of your halyard after you unreeve it from any blocks that will restrict the slackening. Make certain you can ease the line slowly as you walk your engine to the stern.
Good luck and try a couple times just for fun to work out the bugs in your system.
kind regards,
Old 09-05-2011, 11:00   #7

Yeah, It's probably closer to 50 lbs, but I still don't like the idea of having a halyard attached to the mast head at one end and the outboard engine at the other end. The halyard won't be holding the weight when the outboard is at the stern (point A), unless I drop the outboard, in which case the halyard will ensure that the outboard swings back toward the mast, and probably smashes into the side of the hull, before coming to a stop a few feet below the water surface (point B). So I won't entirely lose the outboard, but it doesn't sound like a good situation to me. (See diagram, I should have probably hired a 3-year old to draw a good one for me since I can't draw at all)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	drawing.JPG
Views:	271
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	27172  
Old 09-05-2011, 12:39   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Garhauer Marine Hardware -2548855 This is an englne lift made by Garhauer. They do nice SS work and are reasonable. You could include the lift with a radar antenna post.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 12:50   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
Yeah, It's probably closer to 50 lbs, but I still don't like the idea of having a halyard attached to the mast head at one end and the outboard engine at the other end. The halyard won't be holding the weight when the outboard is at the stern (point A), unless I drop the outboard, in which case the halyard will ensure that the outboard swings back toward the mast, and probably smashes into the side of the hull, before coming to a stop a few feet below the water surface (point B). So I won't entirely lose the outboard, but it doesn't sound like a good situation to me. (See diagram, I should have probably hired a 3-year old to draw a good one for me since I can't draw at all)
Sincerely I don't see where is your problem. I'm doing it myself without problem. Same weight approx for the engine.
Old 09-05-2011, 13:16   #10

Thumbs up Re: Mounting the Outboard ?

This Annapolis company makes high quality davits, outboard lifts, etc.; custom designed for your boat.

Kato Marine
Noname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 13:25   #11

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Get a dinghy that handles well under oars so you can ditch the outboard.
Old 09-05-2011, 15:50   #12

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Just try it a couple of times with tag lines on your outboard to make certain it doesn't swing fast and hard. You can do it. I know you can.
kind regards,
Old 09-05-2011, 16:35   #13

Boat: Traditional 30

Bring it over the side using the boom.

The only stupid question is the one you dont ask.

Just tie the tender "along side" the boat, instead of aft, swing the boom out, hook up, lift the OB into the cockpit. Once you have it in the cockpit you should be able to manhandle it that small distance to the bracket on the pushpit, as all the difficult lifting has been done. Return the dinghy to the stern. Then open a few beers and ponder life.

But regardless of which system you use, make sure you always have a lanyard attached from the ob to another strong pont.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 16:38   #14

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Garhauer Marine Hardware -2548855 This is an englne lift made by Garhauer. They do nice SS work and are reasonable. You could include the lift with a radar antenna post.
I second this. The Admiral says this is the BEST Mother's Day gift she's ever had - she got it 2 years ago. It's very reasonably priced, and they are GREAT to work with.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 19:10   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep

I second this. The Admiral says this is the BEST Mother's Day gift she's ever had - she got it 2 years ago. It's very reasonably priced, and they are GREAT to work with.

I'll throw in my backing for Garhauer as well. They have equal or better products than the higher price stainless companies. We had the engine lift and recently got davits from them as well. Loved them both. They really do support their products.
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outboard