Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2024, 11:44   #1

Boat: Beneteau331 34 feet
Need a NEW Yammer Starter

Hello,
I need to put a new starter in my Yammer 3GM30F diesel.
Are there any good places online that you trust?
I need a well built reliable part. Im afraid to buy a starter on Amazon or eBay because Im afraid of buying a Chinese piece of junk that will last only 2 years.
I already had the starter rebuilt thinking that would help. The reason I know it is the starter that is faulty , even though it is rebuilt ,is because when hitting it with a hammer, it started. It has new wiring, new start button , new batteries, so now with a brand new starter, I can eliminate the starter as a problem. Does anyone have any advise on where a trustworthy place to buy a new RELIABLE starter?
Thanks '
Tortuga!
Tortuga331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2024, 11:49   #2

Re: Need a NEW Yammer Starter

Did you check your starter relay? Mine was exactly the same and the start relay had a bunch of corrosion on the small wire bolts. Fixed and it was fine.

Order any starter, even a junk one. Get the old one rebuilt and keep as a spare. If your junk one dies, put the rebuilt one back in.
Sailingallday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2024, 11:55   #3

Boat: Oyster 435

1+ on the comment above. Starting after wacking with a hammer sounds like a starter relay.
Good luck
Tsuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2024, 12:27   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortuga331 View Post
Hello,
I need a well built reliable part. Im afraid to buy a starter on Amazon or eBay because Im afraid of buying a Chinese piece of junk that will last only 2 years.
I already had the starter rebuilt thinking that would help. The reason I know it is the starter that is faulty , even though it is rebuilt ,is because when hitting it with a hammer, it started. It has new wiring, new start button , new batteries, so now with a brand new starter, I can eliminate the starter as a problem. Does anyone have any advise on where a trustworthy place to buy a new RELIABLE starter?
Thanks '
Tortuga!
Before you put a new starter motor on your 3GM30 you should delve deeper into why the existing starter motor is not working as it should. Here are a few things to check.
1. Next time it fails to work, just manually turn the engine over about a third of a turn and try another start
2. Try starting the engine by bridging the main positive terminal across to the small solenoid terminal
3. Make sure the -ve cable is making good contact at both ends
And stop hitting the starter with a hammer.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2024, 12:56   #5
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Good advice upthread.

Question - what exactly is the fault symptom that requires the starter to be hit with the hammer?

E.G.
does it not rotate at all?
does the starter motor rotate but the engine does not?
does engine just spin over too slowly?

Try to describe the noise you hear when you attempt to engage the starter.
E.G.
a click?
a fast whirring noise?
a slow grinding noise?
something other noise?
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2024, 13:02   #6
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortuga331 View Post
Hello,
Thanks '
Tortuga!
If hitting it with hammer made it work- maybe the hammer is dis-lodged the brushes which were 'hung up in the dirty grooves the brushes fit into. Ant decent rebuild shop would have renewed the brushes and cleaned out the grooves!
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2024, 11:25   #7

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Try Mauripro online Based in Florida. I bought a new starter for my yanmar last year!
Old 16-02-2024, 11:35   #8

Boat: EuroCat 2000 71 ft

Interesting blog. I have been suffering same problem with 4JH4 , for some while .Starter does not engage about 10% of attempts ( 3500 hrs ). Wotname , you mentioned noise - mine is a click! Should I check Solenoid or Brushes ? Opinion would be appreciated.
BobFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2024, 12:06   #9

Boat: 44' Custom Aluminum Cutter, & Pearson 30

How long ago was it rebuilt? I have had many starters and alternators rebuilt with no problems. But I have been going to the same shop for years. Sounds like a solenoid sticking. A good rebuilder would have replaced it.
NorthCoastJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2024, 12:38   #10

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobFord View Post
Interesting blog. I have been suffering same problem with 4JH4 , for some while .Starter does not engage about 10% of attempts ( 3500 hrs ). Wotname , you mentioned noise - mine is a click! Should I check Solenoid or Brushes ? Opinion would be appreciated.
99% of the time it is connections. If a single click is heard then likely not enough juice getting to starter motor. If you are sure you have good batteries then check the connections from ignition to solenoid and solenoid to motor on starter. Especially the grounds I bought a new starter because I thought mine was dying only to find out it was a connections cleaned and remade many and all was fine.
Old 16-02-2024, 12:49   #11

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

Biggest/best improvement we made on our 3GM30F and I went on to do similar on half a dozen friends and acquaintances boats (not all Yanmars), was to install a relay into the cabling so that you're no longer trying to push the whole of the starting sparks up and back down thin cables and through the ignition switch to reach the starter's solenoid. It takes an hour to do, will cost you <$20 and resolves the majority of starting issues.
Old 16-02-2024, 12:50   #12

Boat: EuroCat 2000 71 ft

Thank you GreenWave - i'll certainly try that ,easy access !! Cheers, Bob
BobFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2024, 14:13   #13

Boat: Compass 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnlesley View Post
Biggest/best improvement we made on our 3GM30F and I went on to do similar on half a dozen friends and acquaintances boats (not all Yanmars), was to install a relay into the cabling so that you're no longer trying to push the whole of the starting sparks up and back down thin cables and through the ignition switch to reach the starter's solenoid. It takes an hour to do, will cost you <$20 and resolves the majority of starting issues.

Right on. This is so common on Yanmar GM engines that it should be on every owner's to-do list. If you don't already have this problem, you certainly will sometime.

Cheers, Graeme
lockie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2024, 16:36   #14

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Sticking starter drive can be cured by cleaning the mechanism and then applying a dry lube like graphite. Silicone spray also works.
Also look for burrs or rust that could be holding the drive.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2024, 16:57   #15

Boat: Beneteau331 34 feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthCoastJoe View Post
How long ago was it rebuilt? I have had many starters and alternators rebuilt with no problems. But I have been going to the same shop for years. Sounds like a solenoid sticking. A good rebuilder would have replaced it.
The starter was rebuilt last summer. It works great MOST of the time. When I have company onboard with women and children and a storm is moving in , that when it doesn't start. It makes no sound at all. You hear nothing. After a couple of minutes it starts . OR one time I hit it lightly with a hammer just for a diagnostic test and it started when being hit lightly. That is why I THINK it is the starter. I want it to start every time I hit the start button the first time, LIKE IT SHOULD. Maybe I am exception too much but I get real nervous when Im out and hit the button and hear NOTHING. But I eventually get it started.
I am WONDERING if the rebuilder of the starter missed something.

Thanks for all the replies!
Tortuga 331
Tortuga331 is offline   Reply With Quote