Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2013, 11:49   #1

Boat: Gulfstar 53" Motor Sailor
Need A Perkins 6.354M Exhaust Manifold!!!

We are currently traveling aboard our Gulfstar 53' Motorsailor and have experienced a failure with our exhaust manifold.

We are looking for a quick replacement exhaust manifold for a Perkins 6.354M naturally aspirated/water cooled engine. It is the older model/configuration (circa 1976 +/-) engine and the exhaust comes out the middle of the manifold.

If you know where we can get one ASAP, please contact us.
Tvcmluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2013, 13:52   #2

Re: Need A Perkins 6.354M Exhaust Manifold!!!

If your near Brisbane Australia try Diecon Engineering.
shakey doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2013, 14:43   #3

Thanks Shakey D., but we are in the Savannah, Georgia area US. Happiest holiday wishes to you.
Old 22-12-2013, 10:21   #4

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.

I suggest you try some these sites, TAD diesels in the US, Shipsalvage.net Parts4engines.com Lancingmarine.com ASAP supplies.com or your local Perkins dealer. I realise that these sites are not all in the US but we live in a small world these days. Alternatively check your local breakers yards as many of these engines were used in excavators, gensets, plant etc. A useful site for moving bags/packages economically around the world in case you need to ship it is Sendmybag.com or if you've got bucks to burn DHL it.
The 6354 are the benchmark of diesels and a brilliant motor if set up and serviced correctly.
I hope this helps you.
Irish rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 10:35   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

I once patched a 1/8" X 8" crack in a manifold on a Perkins 354 with JB Weld. The patch was still there when I sold her 16 years and 12,000hrs later.
Old 23-12-2013, 09:58   #6

Thanks for your suggestions. We appreciate it.
Old 23-12-2013, 10:00   #7

TAD ended up having what we needed!
Old 24-12-2013, 05:19   #8

Smile Re: Need A Perkins 6.354M Exhaust Manifold!!!

Tvcmluf, I'm glad you got fixed up, I hope I was of help to you.
Just as an aside, or, as they say in Ireland 'A wee tip'
Should you, or anyone else, ever have the need to strip and rebuild a Perkins engine, Parts4engines.com do great deals on kits (they make the parts for Perkins). Always ask for a 'cintrided' crankshaft if you need one as it's specially hardened by a 'cintride process' to stand the extra stress a turbo engine gives and consequently lasts longer.
As part of Perkins green environmental efforts Perkins shell bearings are now lead free, a by product of this process is that the shell bearings now have an even longer life for improved durability.
Old 24-12-2013, 08:20   #9

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Thanks Tvcmluff for letting us know how it went.

Also, thanks to Irish rambler for the tip on another good source.

I have two 1982-vintage Perkins engines that are running great now, but I made a note of those two web sites for future reference!
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2013, 02:06   #10

Thumbs up Re: Need A Perkins 6.354M Exhaust Manifold!!!

First may I, and the crew of MV Sanity here in the South of France wish you A HAPPY CHRISTMAS AND A HEALTHY SAFE CRUISING NEW YEAR wherever in the world you are.
I'm happy to be of help, that's the wonderful thing about Cruisers Forum. Another wee tip on Perkins engines someone may find useful at some time in the future, turbocharged variants use a 'cintrided' (extra hardened) crankshaft to handle the extra stress, If replacing a crankshaft in a naturally aspirated engine, especially ask for and fit these hardened shafts and reap the benefit an extremely long life for your engine. Perkins now use lead free shell bearings in their engines and yet another benefit of this change is that the new type also have greatly enhanced durability. The cost difference of the cintrided shaft and new type shell bearings is minimal but the long term benefits are enormous.
Old 26-12-2013, 13:12   #11

Thanks again Irish Rambler for the suggestions and website leads. It is wonderful to get such great advice and we appreciate it.
Old 27-12-2013, 00:03   #12

Tvcmluff. Thank you for your kind comments. Sailors have always been a brotherhood and the very essence of that brotherhood to be able to help each other. I think this forum is absolutely marvellous in that we can now, thanks to modern technology span the world and offer help to each other engaged in our common love of the sea.
Old 29-01-2014, 11:42   #13

I recommend going with the Boman manifold was standard on later .4 naturals but fits all 6.354.0 and 6.354.4 natural engines (cannot be made to work on turbos however). The Bowman manifold and all its parts are currently in production, widely available, and are the most reliable and cost effective exhaust manifolds to keep in service. It is an exhaust manifold, heat exchanger, and header tank all-in-one and replaces all of these on your engine. You say the exhaust comes out of the middle of the manifold, which sounds like the aluminum "side port" manifold. For this manifold, or the 16-bolt cast iron manifold or the natural mani-cooler, you will need a kit that includes the bowman, a different intake manifold, a new thermostat housing assembly, and various piping, gaskets, etc. Trans Atlantic Diesels sells the complete kit (it may also be available elsewhere) along with installation instructions and, I believe, a DVD. Ask for me (Richard), I will be sure to get you photos and all information you require.
RCB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 00:39   #14

Apologies, in an earlier post on heat exchanger/exhaust manifolds for Perkins 6354 and 4236 I omitted a useful website.
The original manufacturers of marinising header tanks, oil coolers etc are ejbowman.co.uk they are still very much in business and will ship worldwide should you require parts.
As an unrelated aside, I bought an inverter from DHGate.com which worked fine, I went back and bought a Tablet and got badly ripped off with broken tablet and no refund. I recommend you don't touch them and warn others.
If you wish to buy a Tablet, iPhone etc. send me a message and I'll give you a very good site.

Tags
exhaust, perkins