Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2019, 04:13   #1

need advice Installing a kicker

Installing a kicker?s

Well I’m finding out you don’t just slap a kicker on and call it a day.

Vessel’s hull is aluminum (otherwise I’d have a in hull ducer) 22’ (add 20” main engine bracket) 75” beam 45” transom 1800LBs old pocket cruiser. Right hand rotating prop.Planning on a 20” shaft w/ a 45” transom would a extra/extra long be better.

Undecided on the mount.

I could slap on a tiller quite easily to my port dive platform.

Was actually planning on just port dive platform but then the kicker would obstruct embark disembark also obstruct giant fish landing on platform this is where I beat on the fishs head.

I’ve picked the 2013+ Suzuki 15HP electronic fuel injection, it’s the same weight as 9.9HP.110LBs

I’m hoping for better performance and no maintenance that’s usually associated w/ carbed engines.

?1.if I go tiller, are there electronic throttle controls devices similar to control king w/ it’s servo attached to the Carburetor linkage that will work w/ EFI engines?

?2.the tiller Suzuki has a friction throttle is this a cruise control? Can the tiller version’s fiction control be operated w/ a tiller extension?

Additionally Port vs starboard mounted kicker for starside transducer.

?3.I'd like to know how much setback will keep the starside mounted kicker engines prop wash from interfering w/ transducer that’s also on starside like is there a rule of thumb.

?4.if I go binnacle (which I’d prefer) confused on rigging a binnacle w/ a garlic type kicker mount like won’t the gear select cable get binded? or are the garlic type mounts only for tillers.

A driveby wire throttle and gear select would be a major convenience but think this is for main larger engines only.

?5.Also thinking the higher the kickers RPMs the larger the prop wash is.usalley troll 4-9MPH I’ve read that the Suzuki 15HP will push a 2300LB sailboat 8MPH at WOT.

?6.I’ve read the merc kickers have a stabilizing strap to keep the kicker from flopping around w/ the Suzuki can expect to still cruise around very fast even in ruff water w/out the kicker bouncing around?

?7.Lastly for right now these securing the kicker to the hull w/ a cable is this for theft prevention or prevent the kicker falling into the sea?

thanks
Old 31-08-2019, 08:31   #2

Re: need advice Installing a kicker

anyone knowledgeable about kicker
Old 31-08-2019, 08:51   #3

I assume you are talking a power boat. Many kickers are mounted with a tie rod on outdrive and outboard powered boats and steered with the main wheel.
I dont think the kicker will effect your transducer (stern mounted?) much, but I would probably mount the kicker on the opposite side.
You are putting on a kicker mount that raises and lowers right? When using the main engine raise and tilt the kicker up. Some mounts seem to stay more secure while others will rack up and down going over rough water. A small line and tackle can be used to prevent this.
The kickers with power tilt etc are very nice, but of course everything costs money. A kicker could be steered using a small sailboat "tiller pilot" if you are ingenious and dont want the tie rod.
There are readily available throttle, tilt and shift controls for kickers, maybe look at those for the whole package. $$ though.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:59   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I assume you are talking a power boat.yes vessel in sig Many kickers are mounted with a tie rod on outdrive and outboard powered boats and steered with the main wheel.yes the steering is one of the issues I've kindof figured out w/ either tiller or binacle
I dont think the kicker will effect your transducer (stern mounted?) much, but I would probably mount the kicker on the opposite side.
You are putting on a kicker mount that raises and lowers right? undecided on mount if starboard then yes to the raise lower garlic type mount port bolt to the dive platform When using the main engine raise and tilt the kicker up. Some mounts seem to stay more secure while others will rack up and down going over rough water. A small line and tackle can be used to prevent this.
The kickers with power tilt etc are very nice, but of course everything costs money. A kicker could be steered using a small sailboat "tiller pilot" if you are ingenious and dont want the tie rod. I'd prefer to be navigating from the pilot house
There are readily available throttle, tilt and shift controls for kickers, maybe look at those for the whole package. $$ though.the few throttle controls I've sean are for carbed engines remember I've picked a suzuki fuel injected
curious if the steering rod is even necessary w/ either garlic bracket or bolted to dive platform like if the kicker was locked to steer straight couldn't the main engine be a rudder?

the manufacturer of my depth finder ray marine decent somewhat knowledgeable customer service can't provide a definitive answer to the star kickers prop wash interfering w/ transducer.
Thanks for advice
Old 01-09-2019, 09:10   #5

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

When you type garlic do you mean Garelick?

Like this?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3740.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	198984
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:15   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Steve1 View Post
curious if the steering rod is even necessary w/ either garlic bracket or bolted to dive platform like if the kicker was locked to steer straight couldn't the main engine be a rudder?

the manufacturer of my depth finder ray marine decent somewhat knowledgeable customer service can't provide a definitive answer to the star kickers prop wash interfering w/ transducer.
Thanks for advice
Yes if you have some speed the main will steer. But do you have an outdrive or shaft drive? An outdrive doesn't steer well except by thrust. An inboard shaft drive with a real rudder steers better. If the kicker turns, it steers much better at really slow speed because it thrusts.. So at say 2 knots, wind will steer you unless the kicker steers too.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:56   #7

Boat: Taswell 49

I bought a Suzuki 15 fuel injection last year and wish that I didn't. I bought it online and didn't try one before I bought it. I didn't think there would be that much vibration in any recent model 4 stroke outboard. I was wrong. I thought that the problem may just have been with my engine but I tried another one, same thing. My understanding is that Suzuki kept the weight down by not including a counterbalance for the crankshaft.
This may not be a problem with your application. Mine is on a RIB.
mobern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:59   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
When you type garlic do you mean Garelick?

Like this?

Attachment 198984
yes simiairl to you're image.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Yes if you have some speed the main will steer. But do you have an outdrive or shaft drive? An outdrive doesn't steer well except by thrust. An inboard shaft drive with a real rudder steers better. If the kicker turns, it steers much better at really slow speed because it thrusts.. So at say 2 knots, wind will steer you unless the kicker steers too.
no I have a outboard
so here's another thing to consider w/ star side kicker relocating the aft ladder.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PRE PAINT.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	184.4 KB
ID:	198987  
Old 01-09-2019, 10:10   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobern View Post
I bought a Suzuki 15 fuel injection last year and wish that I didn't. I bought it online and didn't try one before I bought it. I didn't think there would be that much vibration in any recent model 4 stroke outboard. I was wrong. I thought that the problem may just have been with my engine but I tried another one, same thing. My understanding is that Suzuki kept the weight down by not including a counterbalance for the crankshaft.
This may not be a problem with your application. Mine is on a RIB.
I've only picked/selected haven't purchased yet, still researching I actually thought a 9.9HP was the perfect kicker for my sized vessel.
dam I thought suzuki was the leader because of the EFI.

I'm thinking a rib boat is an inflatable? I attach image of my vessel.

edit:didn't know you could try before you buy is this for just little engines w/ minimal rigging?
Old 01-09-2019, 10:24   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
need advice Installing a kicker

Most of us with the Suzuki’s don’t find the vibration that objectionable, it’s a vertical twin four stroke “feature”, I know it’s mounted horizontally, but it’s the same as a vertical twin motorcycle engine vibration wise. They do vibrate but smooth out somewhat at speed, they are not as smooth as a two stoke.
Mine is a 20 HP and the fuel injection and the motor so far has been flawless, so far.
The 9.9 to 20 HP are all the same motor, same displacement, same weight, different RPM limits and different prices of course, and different tuning obviously.
For a kicker on a 20’ish boat I don’t think it’s going to matter, the 9.9 will push it to hull speed and so will the 20, but as neither will plane the extra HP isn’t going to do much in my opinion.

How it’s installed depends on its intended use, if it’s a get home motor just put it on a retractable mount and hand steer with a tiller extension.
But if it’s a trolling motor then you going to want at least steering controls.
I think for ease of use and weight etc I’d want a rope start motor and I’d connect to the big motor for steering but manually control the throttle and shifter as remotes are complex and not inexpensive.
Yes you can use the throttle friction lock to hold RPM once set.
However you want to use it, I’d trim the big motor out of the water as it’s just a big drag device if you don’t.

The rope start motors start very easily, mine almost always first pull and there is a compression release so it’s not a hard pull. And they cost less and only weigh 99 lbs for the short shaft, long shaft will weigh more of course.
They do not have the small charging coil that the electric start motors do, so they won’t function to keep the boat battery charged, an electric start one should at least be able to power a bottom machine etc and keep the battery charged.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 20:10   #11

so this vibration is a known no going issue that started in 2013 w/ the first EFI 15HP
sorry I'm not fariarl w/ either import I thought I was gonna stay evinrude etec.however etec in 15hp is unavailable I think could be wronge but small etec kickers start at 25hp

use's are cruising long no wake zone, trolling 2-9mph most importantly a emergency secondary engine able to replenish 12VDC batteries.
my main carbed 2 stroke is very thirsty and my fuel is limited to 2.5 day cruising

what about the controls is there a drive by wire throttle and gear select control binacle available for the smaller 15HP darn you now have me wanting a 20HP cable less.
Old 03-09-2019, 00:24   #12

for vibration was planning a thick rubber isolator in between my dive platform & hull.

here's my dive platform awaiting a final stage's.

and here's the type mount I desire I think.mite not have enough beam. I have been planning this for over 2.5years been in build progress for 2.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	done1 rubbermount.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	234.4 KB
ID:	199091   Click image for larger version

Name:	boat24_176.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	263.1 KB
ID:	199092  

Tags
kicker