Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2007, 01:34   #1

Need Engine Mounts and Instrument Panel

I have a Yanmar 4JHE 44 hp engine in my sailboat. We are doing a few uprgrades and need some advice.

ENGINE MOUNTS / MOTOR MOUNTS
We need to replace the worn engine mounts and are wondering what brand to buy. Our surveyor had suggested that we upgrade to captive type mounts. Should we use the Yanmar mounts (which I was told are not captive) or purchase a different brand that are captive mounts?

We were told to check out Bushingsinc.com for their mounts which we are told are captive mounts. However, I saw a posting on this forum where the Bushings mounts were not recommended. That posting referred to the following article: Sail Boat Auxiliaries And Why They Don't Last as Long as They Should by David Pascoe

“The Bushings, Inc. Mounts supplied with most diesel installations are just not adequate. There is a new mount out, with which I’m very impressed with the design, and is supplied by Caterpillar on all their engines. Unfortunately, I don’t recall the name of the manufacturer, but you can contact any Cat dealer to find out.”

I haven't been able to find the type of Caterpillar mounts that the article recommends from my web search. Do you know anything about the Cat mounts?

INSTRUMENT PANEL

It's time to upgrade the instrument panel and the wiring to the engine. It's 21 years old and has been causing us grief with poor connections and a multitude of intermittent problems. We are full time cruisers about to head for the Caribbean so think it will be money well spent. Imagine being able to turn the key once and having the engine start and the tach working and alarms ready to warn us of danger!

There are 3 Yanmar instrument panels - type B, C and D. B and C are no longer being produced but can be found. The B panel is what we have now and doesn't have gauges for oil pressure or water temperature--just alarms. We were thinking it would be better to have gauges so we can better monitor the engine so are thinking about the C panel. The other option is a custom made panel or an after market non-Yanmar product.

What is the best way to go from a price, ease of installation, and reliability perspective? Any ideas on where we could get the discontinued Yanmar panels at a good price?

Thanks for your help in advance
Dream Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2007, 05:02   #2

If your OE parts have lasted 21 years. Why not go back with the same?
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2007, 18:08   #3

Boat: Farr37 - Southern Cross
I too would be interested in finding some more info on custom instument panels or aftermarket stuff.

My motor is 23yrs old & still going strong (Sole 34Hp) - it is mounted midships (ex racing yacht...) with a control panel mounted in the engine box - you can just see it from the helm with the aid of some binoculars...

It is a real pain having to go below to start & stop the motor - esp short handed (my current auto pilot is a bit of shock cord from the wheel to a runner winch close by....)

I would like to relocate the panel so I can access it from the helm and the current one is almost dead - I rewired it a while ago as all the wiring were badly corroded & the start button stopped working. It only has warning lights/tacho & hour meter. I would like to have a few more features including volt & ammeter, oil pressure water temp etc.

I was thinking I could source all the stuff I need from ebay and/or local suppliers & make my own. Before I proceed I would like to hear any ideas or if anyone has some good sources for wiring diagrams/ideas etc...

I'm also a bit worried about the length of the cable run - would be about 20' or so by the time it snakes out of sight through the boat - does this bring any limitations that I might not be aware of??

Thanks
Spirit28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2007, 03:34   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Follows (3) of the "standard" information sheets, I left with owner's, after each re-fit I performed:
Testing Engine Guages:

(1): http://www.cruisersforum.com/gallery...=500&userid=79
(2): http://www.cruisersforum.com/gallery...=500&userid=79
Engine Guage Wiring Diagram *:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/gallery...=500&userid=79

* Each wire should be identified (numbered), as applicable to the specific boat.

Siemens-VDO Marine Instruments:
VDO - Marine Instruments
and:
Siemens VDO

A note about the Yanmar Engine stop cable:
Yanmar’s oem engine stop cable is not made from Stainless Steel, and can rust ferociously, especially in salt environment.
To control the rust, disconnect the cable at the engine side, straighten out any kinks from the setting screw and pull out the cable in the cockpit as far as you can see rust development.
Remove rust with emery cloth and rust remover, and then generously coat with water-resistant grease.
Reinstall the cable, making certain that the engine stop lever is in the full “run” position, when the stop cable is pushed in all the way.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 23:33   #5

Boat: Samson C-Falcon 41'9" composite ketch (designed by Cece Norris)
Re: Need Engine Mounts and Instrument Panel

hello this is my first ever post so wish me luck!

I am selling off my yanmar installation - perhaps this will help.
I have a C type (not new C type) panel which came with my yanmar 3jh2 te 47KW.
I am told that the wiring to the various sensors and senders is crucial (resistance etc), and was advised to buy a new wiring harness - at yanmar's high prices this is a few hundred $$$. frankly I think you could copy the wires from the stubs on the control panel, and also use the spare yanmar wires I have.
a replacement C panel alone costs $1300 new, I am open to any offer for mine, with a no time limit $ back return guarantee if it does not slot in ok to your installation. the wiring diagram is quite simple and is common to quite a few yanmar engines - I can mail it to you on cd.
let me know if you are interested - it is too good to throw away!
ps you need to match the yanmar senders and switches on the engine precisely to the yanmar C type oil/water gauges and alarms. yanmar sneakily keep the specs secret, hence the high prices.

regards,
Cap'n John
sy Shanaly (42' Laurent Giles ketch, lying Perth W Australia)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Maker View Post
I have a Yanmar 4JHE 44 hp engine in my sailboat. We are doing a few uprgrades and need some advice.

ENGINE MOUNTS / MOTOR MOUNTS
We need to replace the worn engine mounts and are wondering what brand to buy. Our surveyor had suggested that we upgrade to captive type mounts. Should we use the Yanmar mounts (which I was told are not captive) or purchase a different brand that are captive mounts?

We were told to check out Bushingsinc.com for their mounts which we are told are captive mounts. However, I saw a posting on this forum where the Bushings mounts were not recommended. That posting referred to the following article: Sail Boat Auxiliaries And Why They Don't Last as Long as They Should by David Pascoe

“The Bushings, Inc. Mounts supplied with most diesel installations are just not adequate. There is a new mount out, with which I’m very impressed with the design, and is supplied by Caterpillar on all their engines. Unfortunately, I don’t recall the name of the manufacturer, but you can contact any Cat dealer to find out.”

I haven't been able to find the type of Caterpillar mounts that the article recommends from my web search. Do you know anything about the Cat mounts?

INSTRUMENT PANEL

It's time to upgrade the instrument panel and the wiring to the engine. It's 21 years old and has been causing us grief with poor connections and a multitude of intermittent problems. We are full time cruisers about to head for the Caribbean so think it will be money well spent. Imagine being able to turn the key once and having the engine start and the tach working and alarms ready to warn us of danger!

There are 3 Yanmar instrument panels - type B, C and D. B and C are no longer being produced but can be found. The B panel is what we have now and doesn't have gauges for oil pressure or water temperature--just alarms. We were thinking it would be better to have gauges so we can better monitor the engine so are thinking about the C panel. The other option is a custom made panel or an after market non-Yanmar product.

What is the best way to go from a price, ease of installation, and reliability perspective? Any ideas on where we could get the discontinued Yanmar panels at a good price?

Thanks for your help in advance
Shanaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 13:12   #6

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45.2
Re: Need Engine Mounts and Instrument Panel

I realize that your post is a few years old, but did you ever sell your Yanmar C type instrument panel? If not, do you have pictures of it?

Thanks,
John
jrood7@aol.com
jrood7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine