Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2019, 21:17   #16

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: Need new 55hp diesel engines - where to buy

https://www.alibaba.com/trade/search...+marine+diesel
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2019, 04:57   #17
Marine Service Provider

If the Beta 50's are vibrating at idle, I suspect that the idle speed is too low.
Check on the test certificates that came with the engine as the normal idle speed on these engines is about 850 RPM. The newer engines which burn a leaner mixture than the older diesels do tend to shake a bit if they idle at too low a speed.
Stanley
NCboatrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2019, 01:22   #18

Boat: Lagoon 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCboatrx View Post
If the Beta 50's are vibrating at idle, I suspect that the idle speed is too low.
Check on the test certificates that came with the engine as the normal idle speed on these engines is about 850 RPM. The newer engines which burn a leaner mixture than the older diesels do tend to shake a bit if they idle at too low a speed.
Stanley
Thanks,

I believe we were Idling around 800. Will pay attention to it today. Any advices on flexible couplings by chance? I have a ZF MIV 15 connected to it.

Driveshafts were aligned before the installation
BaledAlSalaam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2019, 04:21   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I installed a Brunton’s Sigma Drive, it makes alignment a non issue, plus there is nothing to shear, if you apply excessive force through the driveshaft, the shaft would just slip in the Sigma drive.
Not cheap, but well worth it in my opinion.

What it is, is a Rzeppa joint, which is the joint used in the front axle on old Military vehicles, it’s extremely robust and ought to literally last forever in our application as we aren’t putting it under any of the forces it’s designed to take.
https://youtu.be/y5oFjzlQ6aA

Probably to take full advantage of the Sigma drive, I probably should have installed softer engine mounts to allow the engine to move around more and not transmit as many vibrations to the hull, but I didn’t.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2019, 05:11   #20

Boat: Kaufman 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaledAlSalaam View Post
Thanks,

I believe we were Idling around 800. Will pay attention to it today. Any advices on flexible couplings by chance? I have a ZF MIV 15 connected to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I installed a Brunton’s Sigma Drive, it makes alignment a non issue, plus there is nothing to shear, if you apply excessive force through the driveshaft, the shaft would just slip in the Sigma drive.
Not cheap, but well worth it in my opinion.

What it is, is a Rzeppa joint, which is the joint used in the front axle on old Military vehicles, it’s extremely robust and ought to literally last forever in our application as we aren’t putting it under any of the forces it’s designed to take.
https://youtu.be/y5oFjzlQ6aA

Probably to take full advantage of the Sigma drive, I probably should have installed softer engine mounts to allow the engine to move around more and not transmit as many vibrations to the hull, but I didn’t.
Sigma drive definitely. We have a Beta 60 with a ZF 68iv v-drive. What we did was line the motor up with an old coupler that we had a machinist bore out just a bit so it was snug on the shaftybut not loose. Mount a dial indicator and align the engine up properly (as close as you can) and then tighten everything down. Next mount the Sigma drive. The Sigma drive will take tolerance to 3 degrees which is I don't even know how many thousandths that is. Definitely check your idle speed because our 60 doesn't vibrate at idle. Although we do have aftermarket mounts(Isoflex: four on the engine and two on the gear) Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190226_213719.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	190296
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2019, 05:14   #21

Thumbs up Re: Need new 55hp diesel engines - where to buy

Wow great advice and so quickly

I have emailed Brunton (They didn't pick up) and will buy two of their clutches.

Regarding engine mounts, would you have any reccomendation for those as well? Or are they all pretty similar in quality?
Old 19-04-2019, 05:19   #22
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Thanks,

I have checked on three different test certificates and idle speed is 850 to 860RPM on all of them.

R&D do make a flexible coupling that is designed to work with the Hurth / ZF V drive. Their part number is 910-034. I have attached a photo of this.

I am not sure what you mean by "driveshafts were aligned before the installation" as the engine and transmission must be aligned perfectly with the shaft.

All four flex mounts must be adjusted to hold the same tension and amount of weight. If you have three mounts pushing up and one pulling down this can still provide good shaft alignment but will also provide excessive vibration especially at idle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ZF15MIV flex coupling 212-05065 + 212-08257 + 5 INCH CLAMP COUPLING.JPG
Views:	368
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	190297  
NCboatrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2019, 05:26   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Need new 55hp diesel engines - where to buy

Your engine mounts are new I’d suppose with the engines.
I wouldn’t change them, they are or should be selected to work with that particular engine, my Yanmar for example uses two different hardnesses of mount, the port side if memory serves is slightly harder, assumption is maybe because of that is the side with the starter.
Mounts aren’t cheap either, Yanmar ones are surprisingly expensive.

I was theorizing with the I guess I should have gone with softer mounts, I believe that to be correct, but don’t have any evidence that it is true, and I’m sure the factory mounts work just fine.

Today and Monday are Holidays in many places as it’s Easter weekend I believe
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2019, 07:56   #24

Boat: Kaufman 47

Quote:
Wow great advice and so quickly [emoji144]

I have emailed Brunton (They didn't pick up) and will buy two of their clutches.

Regarding engine mounts, would you have any reccomendation for those as well? Or are they all pretty similar in quality?
I checked your profile and don't know where Muscat is, but if your in North America, or USA, contact King Propulsion for the Sigma drive. Rod is super nice and helped us out with what we needed for the Sigma drive. If yours are new, I'd keep them. Check your idle speed with a laser tach and then adjust the Beta tach if needed.
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 00:54   #25

Sorry for any confusion. What I meant to say is the driveshafts are not new but I took them to a workshop here where they were checken on their condition and to see if they were straight (which they were).

Thanks for the advice with regards to the mounts. One thing I am concerned about is they haven't done any alignment yet with the boat in the water. She was dry berthed for nearly 3 years so I think the alignment should happen once she's in the water now.

Also they don't appear to use any tools for the alignment which concerns me a bit as well..

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCboatrx View Post
I have checked on three different test certificates and idle speed is 850 to 860RPM on all of them.

R&D do make a flexible coupling that is designed to work with the Hurth / ZF V drive. Their part number is 910-034. I have attached a photo of this.

I am not sure what you mean by "driveshafts were aligned before the installation" as the engine and transmission must be aligned perfectly with the shaft.

All four flex mounts must be adjusted to hold the same tension and amount of weight. If you have three mounts pushing up and one pulling down this can still provide good shaft alignment but will also provide excessive vibration especially at idle.
Old 22-04-2019, 00:58   #26

Ok, so I'll still stick with them for now then.

Interesting with regards to variety in hardness. I will call the factory when they re-open after easter holiday tomorrow to figure out if that could be the case. Can definitely see how that could cause vibration issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Your engine mounts are new I’d suppose with the engines.
I wouldn’t change them, they are or should be selected to work with that particular engine, my Yanmar for example uses two different hardnesses of mount, the port side if memory serves is slightly harder, assumption is maybe because of that is the side with the starter.
Mounts aren’t cheap either, Yanmar ones are surprisingly expensive.

I was theorizing with the I guess I should have gone with softer mounts, I believe that to be correct, but don’t have any evidence that it is true, and I’m sure the factory mounts work just fine.

Today and Monday are Holidays in many places as it’s Easter weekend I believe
Old 22-04-2019, 04:23   #27

Boat: CT 49, 1989

Quote:
Sorry for any confusion. What I meant to say is the driveshafts are not new but I took them to a workshop here where they were checken on their condition and to see if they were straight (which they were).

Thanks for the advice with regards to the mounts. One thing I am concerned about is they haven't done any alignment yet with the boat in the water. She was dry berthed for nearly 3 years so I think the alignment should happen once she's in the water now.

Also they don't appear to use any tools for the alignment which concerns me a bit as well..
How do they do an Alignment without tools?

Just eye balls?

They obviously have very good eyes able to see a 0.004" difference. I understand the 'need' to make do with what they have, which in many cases is very little. But I assume they will charge more than $10 USD for the service? With $10 you should be able to get a set of Feeler gauges.

This is a good reason to take as much responsibility for doing this stuff myself as I can.
Q Xopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 04:25   #28

Boat: CT 49, 1989

Quote:
Ok, so I'll still stick with them for now then.

Interesting with regards to variety in hardness. I will call the factory when they re-open after easter holiday tomorrow to figure out if that could be the case. Can definitely see how that could cause vibration issues.
Yes isolator mounts are made 'stiffer' the more weight they are meant to support.
Q Xopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 04:41   #29

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:

I wouldn’t get too wound up about vibrations until a proper in The water alignment is carried out. You could be experiencing noise from the shaft bumping the stern tube if the engines were not aligned in the water!
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2019, 01:29   #30

Boat: Island Packet 40

Kubutos are very noisy and rough at idle. I think it comes from them being fairly long stroke. They smooth right out once you open them up a bit.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, engine