Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2010, 07:31   #1

Boat: Albin 32+2 CB - RELAX'N
Need to Buy Spare Cummins Starter & Alternator

I want to purchase a spare alternator and a spare starter for a Cummins
6BTA Turbo 370 HP. Where (on line) can I find these items for a good price?
Thanks,
Doug
Dougfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2010, 07:50   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Does your engine have (or you wish) the Cummins “Prelub Starter” system?
Any alternator, having a suitable voltage/amperage, and mounting feet should do. An alternator shop can cross-reference.

Cummins Engine Parts?
Let me google that for you

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2010, 09:05   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I have a couple B-series turbo diesel engines on board. I buy starter motors from a local company who rebuilds starter motors and alternators. In my opinion, rebuilts are as good as new. They are definitely cheaper than the local dealer/distributor. Your B series engine block is a very common truck engine therefore starter motors are readily available and not outrageously priced like you might find with a Volvo starter. Don't let anyone tell you that you need a "marine grade" starter motor.

Those engines are up to 370 horsepower now? That's over 1 horsepower per cubic inch. Impressive.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2010, 13:25   #4

Boat: Albin 32+2 CB - RELAX'N
David,
I agree that rebuilt should be as good as new. Could you give me the name of the company that sells the rebuilt units?

My mechanic told me, in this case, the marine version is a little different than the Dodge truck engine starter. Something about the bell housing.
Doug
Dougfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2010, 14:34   #5

Boat: CS 36t
I haven't priced a starter directly from cummins in a while but I remember it being something like $400. The guys with the dodge trucks report having some problems with different aftermarket starters but I don't know any more than having heard a few bad experiences. I have had good luck with rebuilt starters but make sure the shop has a good reputation before buying from them.

In my experience, what wears out in the starter/solenoid for these engines is almost always the contacts and plunger. I have never compared the marine version with the one in the dodge truck but it is probably worth seeing if the internals of the solenoid are the same. FosterTruck sells improved contacts and plunger for the dodge application for under $40 which would be very wise to do if they are interchangeable. When I pulled the contacts on the starter for the 6BT in my truck, they were like razor blades and had very little area left.

I hope that I am not sending you on a wild goose chase looking for improved solenoid parts but it is worth it if they will fit. I don't have a marine version of the starter here right now so I can't compare.
klem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator