Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2021, 07:53   #1

Boat: Tartan 372
Need Tool

I’m looking for a Volvo Penta tool to set the injection timing on my Volvo Penta 2003T. Part number 884787. Of course the engine and tool is obsolete. I think I have an idea on how to set without it but it would be easier with it. Does anyone know of any VP mechanics or shops that may have one collecting dust in the corner? Any help or leads would be greatly appreciated!
Old 16-01-2021, 08:09   #2

Boat: Outremer 50S
Re: Need Tool

I have absolutely no idea if they have and would sell/borrow/rent or otherwise provide the tool, but Helmut’s Marine in the SF Bay Area kept our 2003 running for decades including a couple of in-the-shop rebuilds/overhauls. It’s a long way to go, but if you get no other options..l
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2021, 08:19   #3

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

Helmut's will ship.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2021, 08:37   #4

Sent them an email. I appreciate the contact information.
Old 17-01-2021, 14:37   #5

I would suggest that Vosbury Marine in Annapolis, MD would have the tool, but I can’t speak as to whether they will loan/ rent it to you.....

But you need to know that the purpose of this tool is to establish a distance baseline for the block in the event that the block or camshaft has been changed from the original. If the block or cam has not been changed, then the tool will only give you the same number which is already stamped into the block adjacent to each individual injection pump. By adding the number stamped into the block to the number stamped into the injection pump you come up with the thickness of the shim pack which is placed under the pump flange to correctly time the injection.

The injection pumps can be timed with a degree wheel and a Wilbar or fuel flow tube, but it’s a laborious process finding TDC, etc.
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2021, 15:29   #6

Yea, my option was to use my degree wheel and finding TDC is a non event, but I’m changing a few things such as camshaft and would like to verify the readings stamped into the block. I’m not sure if changing the camshaft would change that reading or not. My understanding is, and will have to verify that when 25 degrees BTDC is when max lift is for injection pump cam and that delta over the height from factory determines block stamping. I’m also changing front cover due to oil pump housing being scarred badly due to neglect from previous owner. The adjustments of the governor and fuel flow will be next hurdle. I wish I could find that information but most that have that knowledge is difficult to find today. I like the challenge and knowledge gained also. Oh, and I will give them a call. Thanks for the reference.
Old 10-02-2021, 16:13   #7

Ok, For the “versed” Volvo Penta 2000 series mechanics I would like to discuss the timing of the injector pumps. I put a degree wheel and found True TDC, backed off and set piston at 23 degrees BTDC (2003T) and measured the injector pump lifter height as per manual. I’m curious if this is the correct thought process seeing I couldn’t find a factory tool or mechanic to tell me if that is what the factory tool is doing? What is the injector pump tool doing. I did change the camshaft so that’s the purpose of setting the injectors. Doug?