Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2012, 20:25   #1
Marine Service Provider

Send a message via Skype™ to SS Little-Devil
NEMA 2000 Data from Westerbeke W30 4-91

Is it possible to get the engine data into my new electronics? I have analog gauges now but I'd like to relocate them to clean up the helm and run the data to my Raymarine e7d.
SS Little-Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2012, 05:02   #2

Boat: DeFever 44
I believe Chetco Digital has a NMEA2000 interface that should do what you want. I have the Ethernet version running on my navigation PC in a separate window. The best feature of this is the ability to program alarms at any value, getting your attention anytime something varies out of ordinary ranges.

Bob
ebaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2012, 07:14   #3

Boat: Tayana FD-12
Re: NEMA 2000 Data from Westerbeke W30 4-91

very cool, would the charting software like ocean navigator be able to display the engine info and alarms?
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2012, 08:07   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorvati
very cool, would the charting software like ocean navigator be able to display the engine info and alarms?
I don't know about that software. Coastal Explorer was working on an analog engine interface to theirs. I'm not sure what's holding up the general release since I saw the prototype almost 2 years ago.

NMEA0183 has no standards I know of for engine data. N2K does I think. But I think it's still sort of evolving. I'd really rather feed my engine data to MaxSea TZ, my PC Nav program instead of using the Chetco standalone one. But when I installed 18 months ago, it was not possible.
Old 19-06-2012, 10:17   #5
Marine Service Provider

Send a message via Skype™ to SS Little-Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebaugh View Post
I believe Chetco Digital has a NMEA2000 interface that should do what you want. I have the Ethernet version running on my navigation PC in a separate window. The best feature of this is the ability to program alarms at any value, getting your attention anytime something varies out of ordinary ranges.

Bob
Thanks Bob. Thanks for the info. I'm having trouble figuring out what I need there though. Can you point me to the product on the site I might be able to use?
SS Little-Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2012, 11:36   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Little-Devil

Thanks Bob. Thanks for the info. I'm having trouble figuring out what I need there though. Can you point me to the product on the site I might be able to use?
I think all you need is the SeaSmart Analog Gateway with the NMEA2000 interface option. Lists for $600. There might be some Raymarine cables needed to. I don't know that Raymarine chart plotter. Give them a call and make sure before you purchase that they have interfaced successfully with your chart plotter. I'd also verify the sending units on your Westerbeke are compatible too.

I use the same senders for three displays, original analog upper helm, original analog lower helm and SeaSmart. They may suggest using separate senders for SeaSmart, but on my Lehmans, I used the existing ones, then added temperature sensors on my transmissions and exhaust elbows.

Bob
Old 19-06-2012, 18:34   #7

Also Check out NoLand Engineering

I think it's about $250
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2012, 05:49   #8

Hi - so I am headed down this same pathway. I have a Ford Lehman and all guages are analog now - I want to go NMEA2k so I can integreate my Simrad system. I have been searchin on the SeaSmart Analog Gateway - trying to find a manual so I can see how difficult the installation project will be. Has anyone done the install? Is it brainless - like simply hooking sending wires to the unit then the unit to my 2k bridge?
rebuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2012, 07:03   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebuckley
Hi - so I am headed down this same pathway. I have a Ford Lehman and all guages are analog now - I want to go NMEA2k so I can integreate my Simrad system. I have been searchin on the SeaSmart Analog Gateway - trying to find a manual so I can see how difficult the installation project will be. Has anyone done the install? Is it brainless - like simply hooking sending wires to the unit then the unit to my 2k bridge?
The engine wiring is probably easier than the software configuration. You can choose to eliminate your old analog instruments and wire directly to SeaSmart or you can wire them both up to work at the same time. The software settings and configuration switches on the interface need to match your choice.

The Simrad will need to understand the engine N2K formats for display.

I suggest you give Chetco a call and discuss your requirements.
Old 25-07-2012, 16:52   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 42CE

Here's another option soon to be on the market from Actisense.

I have no experience with it, but can only speak highly of their other products such as NGT-1 and NGW-1:

http://www.actisense.com/HTML/Whats%...action=display

I will be watching this thread as I want to do something similar.

Keep us updated!

Ted Arisaka
V42-186
s/v Little Wing
V42 #186 s/v Little Wing
arisatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2012, 12:59   #11

Boat: Catalina 270LE
The NoLand rs11 should integrate nicely with the Westerbeke and the Seatalkng, with the Raymarine NMEA adapter cable
Meriachee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2012, 13:05   #12

The question is, what data can the display show?
I have ordered the rs11 for integration with the i70, since the i70 will display everything that the rs11 will output, as it will be connected to the 20b Westerbeke.
The story is that the Raymarine spur cable will simply plug into the output from the rs11, and you are good to go.
Of course, it'll take 11.7 months to figure out where to tap into the wiring harness on the red devil, since I am not replacing the existing gauges, and calibration of the rs11 proper.
Old 24-08-2012, 21:39   #13

might want to google 'posi-tap'

hth
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2012, 08:08   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
might want to google 'posi-tap'

hth
Thanks. Those connectors look fine, but I'll stick with the tried and true, splice, solder and 2 part heat shrink.

Tags
westerbeke