Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: What is the best small outboard brand? (Under 10hp)
Yamaha 5 35.71%
Suzuki 0 0%
Honda 5 35.71%
Tohatsu/Nissan 3 21.43%
Mercury 1 7.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2011, 14:17   #1

Boat: Grampian 26 - Escape Hatch
New 9.9 Outboard Comparisons

I have a '74 Grampian 26 and have decided to purchase a new outboard. I have settled on a 9.9 long shaft because it doesn't require a title in my state and should power me around just fine. I have been looking around and haven't really found a whole lot of comparison information as far as reliability, performance etc. between brands. Even many options are the same the only difference seems to be price. If anyone has found any kind of information or stories about a particular brand feel free to share.

I'm also going to post a poll with some brands just to see if there is any kind of consensus on which brands are best.
ray12515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2011, 14:30   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Re: New 9.9 Outboard Comparisons

Yammie hithrust 9.9 - two of them push my 35 ft cat along just fine and they are economical and reliable.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2011, 14:38   #3

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22

It's hard to find a good outboard. I think there are good ones and bad ones made by the same manufacturer. Sometimes you get a good one and sometimes you don't. But i always had good luck with Mercury.
Mark1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2011, 16:47   #4

Boat: 1970 23' O'day pop-top

Got a 2008 tohatsu with remotes for $900.
Won't ship and I'm in no hurry. PM if interested
kenny chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2011, 17:14   #5

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide

I just happen to have experience with the very same boat (made a delivery, and sailed on her several times)..... with a 9.9 Yamaha.

The motor suited the boat very well, the Grampian 26 tolerates the weight aft nicely... you may find a bit more water comes in the cockpit drains but not much.

The Yamaha 8/9.9 4 stroke is well built, and silky smooth. While you would probably find that one of the 6hp motors from any of the manufactures would be sufficient, since you can handle the weight I would elect the 8/9.9 simply to get to the 2 cylinder motors. The 1 cyl 4 strokes vibrate too much for my taste.

The Mercury is the same motor as the Nissan / Tohatsu... If you go that way, shop on price.. the mercury is more expensive and there is no difference (even the paint is the same).

It will be tough to go wrong with either the Honda or the Yamaha. Neither brand has made any significant change their 9.9 for some time... and both are great motors.
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2011, 17:16   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Yamaha makes 8 and 9.9 long-shaft High Thrust models. My 8hp moves a 19,000lb, 31-foot pilot cutter just fine. They are both the same size and weight, just the 9.9 burns more gas at full throttle
Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2011, 17:23   #7

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Another vote for the 9.9HP Yamaha high thrust model. One of the early ones, and they haven't changed much, pushed around my 32-foot catamaran for years, notching up several thousand hours in all. Its one problem, shared with other 4-strokes, is that it really requires you to install a serious, full-size, spin on fuel filter to try to keep crud out of the carburetor. The tiny passages in these 4-stroke carbs are very prone to getting plugged up and then the motor won't run properly. Even with the big fuel filter you will need to learn to take off the carb and clean it, because it will happen fairly frequently. It seems to be a characteristic of these fuel-sipping 4-strokes.
Old 29-03-2011, 17:25   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Ditto Kettlewell on filters.
Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2011, 17:43   #9

A Merc Pro Kicker or any of the Yam HT Models will do the job well. We sell both. The most important thing is what Kettlewell said >

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Its one problem, shared with other 4-strokes, is that it really requires you to install a serious, full-size, spin on fuel filter to try to keep crud out of the carburetor. The tiny passages in these 4-stroke carbs are very prone to getting plugged up and then the motor won't run properly.
10 Micron

If you're using it locally buy it from a local SERVICE dealer. He'll help you set it up right. I could tell you stories about internet bought outboards.

Mark Twain
knotnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2011, 18:43   #10

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

We have a Mercury 9.9 that we just love. HOWEVER, your poll says "best" and doesn't include cost. We paid $1375, TTL for ours, new, from Academy Outdoors. A Yamaha is well over $2K.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2011, 18:50   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
We have a Mercury 9.9 that we just love. HOWEVER, your poll says "best" and doesn't include cost. We paid $1375, TTL for ours, new, from Academy Outdoors. A Yamaha is well over $2K.
Bill, did your Merc happen to be a CPO motor? $1375.00 is WAAAAY below dealer cost for a new, current model.

Mark Twain
knotnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2011, 19:03   #12

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

Quote:
Originally Posted by knotnow View Post
Bill, did your Merc happen to be a CPO motor? $1375.00 is WAAAAY below dealer cost for a new, current model.
Nope. Brand new in the box. It was September. I know I'm nuts, but I asked for a manager, and asked if he wanted to sell one. They had 3. I gave him the price I was willing to pay, and he checked the computer, called his manager, and sold it to me.

I'm regularly amazed at how quickly I'm offered discounts from places that don't give them. I ask, and make it clear I don't need to buy what I'm buying. We bought living room furniture from a store that NEVER discounts. I told them what I wanted to pay, gave them my business card and my credit card, and said "when you need to make a sale, call me.". The sales manager said as I left "we don't discount". 4 days later, I got the call. Bought it at my price. It doesn't always work, but it often works.

This is how I buy cars too. Of course, I'm different. I ENJOY screwing with salespeople. It's a full contact sport for me.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2011, 05:51   #13

Boat: Maxum 2700 SCR (28')
I rate the Tohatsu / Nissan / Mercury 9.8 best

All three brands are made by Tohatsu. They are one of the oldest outboard motor manufacturer in the world, and make quality products.

Here's a shot of our 9.8 long shaft 4 stroke, electric start motor. We love the way she is so quiet, economical to run, and never has any gas / methanol problems.

For best results, get yourself a 4 blade prop designed for moving displacement hulls through the water.

We bought ours online from Porta bote. Best prices and nice to do business with.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boatlmay25bronte1.jpg
Views:	730
Size:	410.7 KB
ID:	25657  
Jim Quibell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outboard